Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Sprint Free & Clear America Plans!!!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, Apr 3, 2003.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    New Sprint Free & Clear America Plans!!!

This will finally silence the critics who have always said that Sprint doesn't have enough coverage!

http://www.stevecrow.net/images/fcamerica.jpg

Keep in mind that these plans will offer more coverage and roaming partners than Verizon's AC plans do. They will be on par (coverage wise) with the true National one rate plans of Verizon, Cingular and AT&T.

2. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Well that shut me up. Props to Sprint, they finally realized covering more land is better than covering more population. (Since most of the time when you need a cell phone the most, you aren't anywhere near a big population)

VZW wants $55 for 400 min on their one-rate plan
    AT&T wants $60 for 450. while
    Sprint wants $45 for 400. not bad.

Any plans for a Local one-rate style plan?

Most people don't travel nationwide, but still want coverage in their local area without roaming.
    I get 600 day unlm n/w with no roaming on any call I make on any network in PA, NJ, DEL, NYC, part of CT, most of MA etc. for $39.

It would be great if they could come up with something like that also.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now I just hope the people that run these web sites such as: sfbacell.com that criticize Sprint for not offering free roaming plans will change them to reflect these new plans.

4. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

It looks pretty good. Now Sprint just has to get more CDMA800 capable phones. As much as analog does work, it eats battery life.

It really doesn't varry too much from Verizon's America's Choice network in the East where Verizon is very strong, but it does have a much greater area out west. I would also like to see a regional plan that would be a bit cheaper since it would make their offer competitive in New England (their network in NE pails in comparison to Cingular, ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon and Nextel). I would also like to know if Sprint's $10 no contract option will apply to these plans.

Oh, this is actually a god question: will m2m and off-peak apply to calls off of Sprint's network? With most wireless companies they don't. I know that T-Mobile doesn't offer m2m when on partners networks, that Verizon doesn't have m2m or off-peak on some of their partners' networks, etc. That's why I ask. If they offered those features while roaming it would really be a coup.

Anyway you slice it, this can only be seen as a good thing. They have an offering that beats Verizon on coverage, but is $5 more (Sprint's $45 for 400min vs. Verizon's $40 for 400 min - I only care about the lower price plans, but Sprint does handily beat Verizon when you get further up the price scale). Well, hopefully other carriers will feel the heat; I expect that Verizon will be shaking[​IMG]

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Pretty much all of Sprint's newer phones such as the Sanyo 5300, Samsung A460, A500, N400, as well as the Nokia 3585 & Kyocera 2345 are all CDMA 800 capable. I'll bet that most if not all of their future phones will also be tri-mode.

6. northform

Yeah, I meant to post an edit to my post, but my browser crashed and I didn't feel like it at the time. Sorry 'bout that.

What do you think about the advantage over the America's Choice Network? It does have greater coverage, but it also costs more. Phones and company policies aside, do you think that Free and Clear America offers a better value than America's Choice?

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well that certainly solves the Sprint coverage problem. However, to compare it to the one rate plan is possibly inaccurate. What makes this map any less "deceptive" than VZW's AC rate map? Isn't this the same type of map...a coverage map rather than an actual service map?

Also, the 400 for $45 that Sprint is offering, for my travels anyway, the extra $5 (I get 400 for $39.99 on AC) would not justify a switch. You also will get Sprint's award-winning CS [​IMG]. However, if you already use Sprint, this is a very good plan and one that will almost certainly eliminate some of the turnover Sprint gets seeing customers leave for Verizon, ATT, Cinglular, etc.

8. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    The thing is is that its still just the same Sprint digital coverage area. Its still small and still does not compare to Verizon's AC plan which is mostly digital. I give credit to Sprint for trying, but I dont want a plan which looks like it is about 70% roaming partners. Not only that but the digital features still only work on Sprints network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Exactly, so getting vision service if you plan to be in the red areas (appear to be 95% of that map) a lot is silly. ALso, if you use more than 50% of your minutes in the red area you get charged extra $$$$. Not so with any national single rate or the AC plan on Verizon. The only beneficiaries of this plan would be current Sprint customers IMO. No one in their right mind would switch for the privilege of having to pay extra fees if the roam too much. Also, it doesn't address the fact that Sprint still drops calls like crazy in many areas wher eother carriers don't. I say the last line from personal experience.

10. sillybilly

sillybilly Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Mesmerize
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC
    Sprint might get some new customers with the new plans and with nights and weekends starting at 8pm in the middle of April!

11. Kenster

Kenster Senior Member

I heard that this new Sprint PCS plan begins nationwide on either April 8 or 9?

It will be interesting to find out who are all the roaming partners in different parts of the country?

But on the plus side, it is still kinda good that the CDMA carriers are teaming up with each other to leverage increased and expansive coverage plans throughout the country.

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I agree Sprint will get new customers on this plan. The 8pm N&W is nice too. What I meant was someone with say, an Alltel Total Freedom plan, Verizon SingleRate or AC shouldn't switch though.

Thinking along the same lines as Kenster, I can see this plan taking some potential customers or current business from T-Mobile and ATT or Cingular customers not on a national plan.

13. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I have the roaming option (I'm in a test area) and there is no extra charge for using more than 50% of your minutes roaming. And roaming doesn't just use your anytime minutes, you can roam using unlimited nights and weekends too. It's a WAY better deal than anything Verizon has. - sheureka

14. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Off-peak applies - PCS to PCS doesn't. - sheureka

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well, I based my 50% comment on a previous post, so if that was mistaken, than so was I and I deserve a beat down for failing to do my homework.

HOWEVER, how is it better than anything Verizon has? It might be equal to a Verizon deal, but I fail to see how Verizon is worse.

Also, aren't you in a test market for the $10/unlimited roaming plan? That is not the same as this new plan that will be available Aptil 8th.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I doubt Sprint would start charging extra if someone used more than 50% of their minutes off network. I don't think that is even mentioned in these new offerings. It does say that they can terminate your service if you use too many minutes off their network. I would guess that every carrier has some stipulation like that in the fine print. Anyone who is eligible for one of these plans of course has to be in a Sprint digital area. The vast majority of these people would never come anywhere close to using over half of their minutes off network.

Let's not forget that Sprint's own service has improved greatly over the past year or so and there aren't as many drops as there used to be. I rarely ever drop any calls here in So. Calif.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What makes Sprint's new coverage greater than the AC plans is the fact that more roaming partners are included in the deal. With the AC plans I believe you get just two carriers to roam on besides Verizon. With Sprint's new plans you get many carriers to roam on including Verizon, AT&T, Alltel, Cell One West, etc. You're right it is a coverage map rather than an actual service map once you include the roaming territory.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint's digital footprint is actually a lot larger than most people think. If it wasn't they wouldn't be able to afford to offer these new plans. Most people who get these plans will not have to roam off network very often. And you're wrong about the digital features only working on Sprint's network. Some of Sprint's digital features are available when roaming in analog such as called ID and voicemail. But here in CA on the few times that I roam with my tri-mode it's usally on CDMA Verizon or Cell One West.

19. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Which is why I don't see the real point of these plans if you are already a Sprint customer. No one in their right mind would have signed up for Sprint service in the past if they planned on doing a lot of calling in the "red" areas of the new map. The new rate plans are $5 more than the same number of minutes on the Verizon AC plan, and while more area is covered on the Sprint map, I don't know whether that area justifies an additional $5/month. If someone only roams about 10 minutes a month it is probably cheaper just to pay the roaming fees than to get these new plans...if you roam much more than that...why do you have Sprint in the first place? As I mentioned, I think this plan might entice people away from GSM carriers, but I doubt it will have much impact on other CDMA carriers. I think it is good they have a plan comparable to that offered by Verizon though, as competion is a good thing.

I never had any problems with Sprint 4 years ago when I lived just east of San Diego (El Cajon), so AFAIK their SoCal coverage has always been fine. It was in Gainesville, Florida where I couldn't place a call to save my life, and I lived 1/2 mile west of I-75, so you would have suspected the covereage would be fine so close to a major highway. When I could connect, I only hear every other word the person I was talking with said. This was in August of last year, so who knows if they have imporved or not.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Kenny,

Here in CA their roaming partners are Verizon (So. CA), AT&T (No. CA) and Cell One West (Eastern part). In Northern AZ it is Alltel. I can assure everyone from personal experience that their off network roaming agreements are very expansive and include many carriers.

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    One thing that I am worried about though is that once Sprint sees where they have to pay out excessive roaming costs they might start to cut back on their PRL like Verizon did on the AC plans. I think us Sprint users would be better off not updating our PRL's from this point on unless we have proof that it will benefit Sprint's own coverage.

By the way the new map which show the yellow area as Sprint coverage and the red area as off network does not include all of Sprint's system in the yellow area. The yellow areas are 3G upgraded areas. There are some areas such as in South Dakota and Iowa where Sprint service exists (thru affiliates) but is not 3G ready yet so therefore it is in the red zone.

22. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if you don't update your PRL and your phone does not indicate roaming, but the area you are in has recently become roaming due to a PRL change, won't you get charged for roaming regardless of how it is indicated on your phone? You might get the charges waived once, but I doubt you could continue to plead ignorance regarding the PRL's.

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm not sure on that.

24. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS

25. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If we're speaking of the new roaming plans, there won't be any roaming charges no matter what the prl says. The prl is Sprint's way of saving money by choosing the carrier gives the best rates. With this type of rate plan the roam indicator won't have a meaning. Most likely if a carrier drops it's agreement to roam with Sprint (or vice versa) you will need a credit card to make a call.

G.

26. northform

It doesn't matter if you don't update the PRL. The PRL serves as a way for the phone to more easily find the networks that it will operate on and set the order of preference. If your PRL says that you can use any service, but your provider only has an agreement with company a the phone will still not be able to use any other company's system. PRLs make it easier for handoffs to occur and tell the phone which order to look for networks and not to bother wasting its time looking for some because it won't be allowed to place a call on that system.

If PRLs actually set which networks a phone could use then everyone would change them to tell the phone to use every network. Updating a PRL won't change your service area since Sprint (or any other company) can do that no matter what PRL/IRDB you are using. It will just allow your phone to find the networks that it is allowed on more easily.

27. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am with AnthroMatt on this one. It is a good deal if someone travels a whole bunch, and needs this type of plan, but for regular users its not that great. If someone was going to spend a decent amounf of time off the Sprint network, they should not have Sprint IMO. For my area, I would say they are using Verizon as their partner. Problem is Sprint serves both of my houses, but it serves them weakly, so I would still be on Sprint and it would sound bad or drop all the time. I would rather have Verizon's AC so I have better coverage in my home state, than worry about other areas. Of course I travel to areas where Verizon is really good anyway (AZ,CA,NY,FL). The only positive (for a new customer) I would see is Vision, and of course that can be used only on SPCS network. Unless someone really needs no roaming, then I still feel in most places that AC would be better presuming Verizon is better than Sprint in their home market.
    EDIT: I'd like to give a lot of credit to Sprint for accurate coverage maps. In fact these maps make their coverage look real. T-Mobile has always made their coverage look bigger by doing their maps in paintshop in looks like and just glopping coverage on. They always make it look like Delaware is well covered when its not. Sprint seems to accurately show their coverage [​IMG]

28. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I am confused. The PRL may state which systems my phone should look for, but if say, in PRL A SprintPCS is listed as priority 2 "free" roaming (extended network), and then 3 months later PRL B is released and that same Sprint system has now become priorty 4 roaming (not free) won't my phone still think that to look for the Sprint signal after it can't find Verizon and indicate "extended network" when in actuality I am now roaming?

Just a hypothetical example....

29. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It seems people are comparing the Verizon AC plans with these new Sprint plans. It is closer to compare the coverage of the National Single Rate type plans. The features and the prices of the new Sprint plans seem to be better than the NSRs to me at least. The SPrint plans include pcs to pcs calls (on Sprint network) and night and weekend minutes (on or off network) as well as data (if chosen).
    G.

30. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Sorry if I come across as stupid, but how can you compare rates of a plan that offers no roaming anywhere (single rate or total freedom, etc depending upon your carrier) with the new Sprint plan? You can still roam on this plan after all, even if it does have a larger calling area than the AC plan. Also, that map is probably the same as the AC plan in that it just shows where you won't roam, but it is not an indication of actual service, so who knows how large the calling area actually is. Any disclaimer about the map was either cut off by whomever scanned it, or it is on the other side. The data service won't work off the Sprint PCS network either, so that is a non-issue too. Additionally, if roaming is really a problem for someone on the AC plan they should sign up for a single rate plan or this new Sprint plan. The AC plan covers a large enough area though that I think it is fair to compare it to these new Sprint plans.

I will just reiterate what I said before: This should be no big deal at all to current Sprint customers. If you frequently need to make calls in the red areas you were a fool for signing up for Sprint up until now. It should certainly attract new customers though. It won't bring me on board because my experiences in the past with Sprint (once I moved away from SoCal) were terrible. As Airb330 says, it still won't solve the issues of poor Sprint coverage in many areas because if your phone can get a Sprint signal it is going to use it even if that signal is weaker than one of their roaming partners.

Larry: On the AC plan Verizon customers can roam for free on Sprint (ex: in Ohio), Alltel (ex: in Michigan), Cellular One (in Texas), ATT (Texas) to name a few...that's more than 2.