Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- New Sim, New Sim Holder, NO SIGNAL.. Samsung Galaxy s3 sgh-i747

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by shellroc, Jul 19, 2014.

1. shellroc

shellroc New Member

I have added new apn's, factory reset, new sim holder, and I still cant get signal. even used another sim card, brand new, and other old ones....specs on phone: Android version: 4.1.2, baseband version: 1747UCDMG2, kernel version: 3.0.31-1300972 se.infra@SO210-19#2, SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 8 19:30:05 kst, build number: JZ054K.1747UCDMG2. wifi works great. get bars. no error message when sim card is in. But, when card is out, message says emergency use only.
    APN on phone:
    name: att phone
    apn: phone
    proxy,port, user name, password, server: not set
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    mms port: 80
    mcc:310
    mnc:410
    authentication type: not set
    apn type: default,supl,mms,hipri,foto
    apn protocol: ipv4
    enbale/disable apn:apn enabled
    bearer: unspecified

does any of this make sense?? ppl told me that the apn was wrong, or my antenna is bad.. Plzzzz help :(

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    If I'm not missing anything, when you remove the SIM card from a phone, it will not work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    A simple thing to overlook, but were the SIMS activated on your account? Before a SIM can work it must be activated by AT&T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  4. shellroc

shellroc New Member

the phone works with wifi only... cant activate sim until i can get signal...

5. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ah, ok. Maybe you can try to activate the SIM on a AT&T branded phone, then put it in your Galaxy S3.

6. shellroc

shellroc New Member

my phone is att

7. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    We'll then it is either the SIM adapter isn't allowing proper contact between the SIM & SIM tray, or their is a problem with the phone.

8. shellroc

shellroc New Member

I know the phone works, cause I can use wifi.. if its the sim adapter (not sure what that is, not the holder, right?) is there any way I could ck that??? cause when I put the card it, its recognized..

9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi there, hope you don't mind my asking you a few questions so we could understand your problem better.

1. Why did you have to install a new SIM card and holder?

2. Did the S3 ever work that you know off?

3. If you have an AT&T phone and insert an AT&T SIM, the phone will automatically fill in all the APN information etc, you don't need to do any of that.

4. What happens if you turn off wifi and take out the SIM card, factory reset the phone and then insert the sim without turning wifi on or manually entering any information?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. shellroc

shellroc New Member

I was told that my holder could b bad.. so I replaced it.
    Yes, the S3 worked, and used ATT
    I was told that the APN might not b right, so I added another one, that didnt work, so I deleted it, and added another, etc...
    I already did a factory reset.. same problem..
    does the info for my apn, that I listed in an earlier post, look right to u?

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It sounds like there is something wrong with your phone unfortunately. When you do a factory reset the settings should automatically fill on. Have you tried calling AT&T from a different phone or taking it in to a store?

Here are the settings per AT&T, hope it helps.

http://apn-settings.com/us/att-apn-settings/

#11 charlyee, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  12. shellroc

shellroc New Member

I did take it to the att store.. the guy tried a new sim card, it didnt work, and said to replace holder.. there was nothing more he could do. the apn settings u sent, I'd already put in the phone before.. didnt work.. but did it again anyway.. :browani:

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am sorry, I can't think of anything else. I am surprised that AT&T told you that you have a bad SIM card holder and sent you off without offering any alternatives.

Maybe it is something simple and someone else has a suggestion but I personally think you have a bad phone and should look into replacing it.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

14. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Are you saying that you had a new, not yet activated SIM, but it is showing no bars, so you can't activate it? Did you or the person at the AT&T store try inserting someone else's working SIM, to be sure the phone is OK? I'm not sure, but I heard that a not activated SIM will not show bars, even if service is strong, until after it is activated. If the person at the AT&T store did not actually go through the activation steps, give it a try, even if you do not see any signal bars.

When you said you get bars, was it WiFi bars or phone bars? I am assuming you can't make cellular calls at all, or is it just data that has a problem?

15. shellroc

shellroc New Member

I bought a new sim card at wal-mart.. not activated.. I inserted the card.. the directions then were to go to phone keypad and enter the code to activate the card, to get a phone number so I could get a plan. I tried and tried, but would not work. I went to att store, and the guy put in a new sim card that he had.. it didnt work either.
    when Im on wifi, I can call out, and get on internet.. as for the bars ir wifi.. i got both

16. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Go to this page and check or start your activation. I think the card has to be activated in the web first. Meaning set up your credit card, plan, etc

https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhoneWeb/goPhoneLanding.do?method=activatePayGo

The att guy should have checked this for you. If you insert the sim and no errors show up like 'no sim card' then the adapter is okay.

If the two steps above are okay, then your phone is broken or possibly stolen and on a black list.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

#16 viewfly, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. shellroc

shellroc New Member

thank you all.. after all this BS, all I had to do was, activate the card.. just to clarify, though, my instructions to do so, were completely different on the pamphlet that came with the sim card. I feel like an idiot, but, I really want to blame ATT for lousy instructions.. so, I am up and running.. just one more note: from the time I started this, the plan I wanted, no longer exists. sucks to be me... :browani:

2 people like this.
  18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad it finally worked, too bad about the plan change.

Thanks for your follow up post, enjoy your S3.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

19. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Glad that it worked, activating. Yes, while in the att store they should have done the basics such as checking activation. Att is looking more stupid IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

20. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The APN setting is only involved in data and MMS operations. Voice and SMS should work regardless of the APN settings.. A SIM card can be activated without a data connection to the telephone or even if the SIM card if not in the telephone. The activation is done at the carrier network level. Once the SIM is inserted into a telephone with the correct bands, the carrier network recognizes the SIM card. One is advised to turn off the telephone during the activation process. Remember that SIM cards were being activated long before mobile telephones had any data capabilities.