Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Phone ?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Jason110, May 30, 2006.

1. Jason110

Jason110 New Member

Sorry, here's a newbie question:

What's the difference between a digital dual-band phone and a dual-band/tri-mode phone?

Based in the descriptions, it seems to me that if you are not going to use the "digital" features of the digital dual-band, you're better off getting the dual-band/tri-mode phone because it covers 800 and 1900 CDMA and 800 analog. It seems to me that the digital dual-band covers only the 800 and 1900 CDMA networks.

Does this mean that the dual-band/tri-mode phone will work in more places than the digital dual-band phone?

Jason

2. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
    you are some what correct but why buy outdated stuff..
    You should be looking for a quadband phone.

3. Jason110

Jason110 New Member

Out of the phones available from Sprint, which do you guys recommend for someone who pretty much just makes phone calls; uses voicemail; call waiting; and occassionally (i.e., averages to about 4 minutes a month) of wireless web to look up the occasional movie showtime, phone number of a restaurant, or directions. I also receive about 10 page/text messages a year.

I'm not big on cameras, ringers, wallpapers, music players, etc. I don't really need them.

My requirements:
    1) It must be a flip phone. Sorry guys ... no budging on this requirement.
    2) I should be able to see the phone number or name of the person calling me on an external screen. I should not have to open the phone to see who's calling.
    3) There must be easy access to switch the phone between ringer, to vibrate, to silent (i.e., no more than one or two buttons). I should not have to go through multiple menus to do this. On my current phone, I can use the volume toggle on the side to accomplish this when I'm not on the phone.
    4) There must be good reception and it should be able to switch from PCS, to digital roaming, to analog without a problem. My office is in the basement of a building so there aren't any places that my phone does not roam at work. I have the $5/mo. roaming included add-on for a reason.
    In fact, there are numerous dead spots where I work, and others have the same problem (even though they have other providers like Verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular, and Cincinnati Bell). With a lot of roaming, should I consider a phone with a longer battery since roaming quickly drains the batteries? Is there a way to extend battery life when roaming?

Size requirement... Ummm... I'm leanient... really nothing too heavy... Something that can fit in a pants pocket...

Any suggestions on phones... I was looking at the free (with a two-year agreement) phones that Sprint PCS was offering online... LG 225, Samsung A560, Motorola c290, or CDM-120... I'm open to other phones as well....
    All those phones are dual-band/tri-mode: Should I upgrade to a digital dual-band? Would that better serve my requirements?

Sorry to bother you guys again, but the Sprint guys at my store have been giving me the run around and trying to sell me on a Treo phone. (I already have a wifi-enabled Dell Axim that serves it function.)

Thanks again,

Jason

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sprint doesn't have quadband phones. The digital dual mode means 800/1900 MHz digital CDMA, the tri-mode phones also have 800MHz analog capabilities. So any tri-mode phone has everything the digital dual mode phone offers. Since you say your phone needs analog, you will want to avoid all of the digital dual-mode phones and get a tri-mode phone.

Of the phones you listed I would go with the LG PM-225. If you want to spend a few bucks, the Sanyo 2300 is ok as well. Still, I would take the LG.

As far as battery life when roaming, you can set the phone to only roam when you are in an area you know service is poor. This will keep your phone from trying to search for a Sprint signal every few minutes. If this sounds like a possible solution, you might want to avoid the LG 225 as you can only force analog roaming on that phone, and analog roam will suck the battery dry. If you insist on a free phone, the Samsung A560, the CDM120, and the Motorola C290 do not have external caller ID's, so those phones are out. If you want to avoid the LG, try the Samsung A580. Very similar to the A560, but it has external caller ID.

5. Jason110

Jason110 New Member

Is the LG PM-225 really a good phone? I just read on another thread that Sprint is trying to clean house and remove this phone from their inventory because it's so bad.

Jason

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The phone is not that bad! If it was, my sister would not be using one. I am skeptical of LG phones, but this one over all has been good. I think the real reason for Sprint getting rid of the 225 is it has been out on the market for about a year, so it is getting long in the tooth.