Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New iPhone 6s series, observations

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Sep 30, 2015.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Got the 4.7" iPhone 6s on launch day. Coming from the 6, I was prepared for the smaller, but still interesting improvements and features that go with the 'S' upgrades.

Still learning, but some observations.

Space Grey is a shade different in color, and the phone is noticeably heavier and feels thicker. Of course, it is spec'd to be both, but it is more noticeable than I expected. The tougher aluminum used is meant to prevent any bending issues, especially in the 6S plus series.

The small, 200 micron (0.2 mm) increase in thickness can make a difference for tight cases and minimum lip. Add a screen saver ( I don't) and their could be no lay-on-the-table feature.

The new Apple leather cases are not Analine, so most likely they will hold their original color longer.

3D press touch. I wasn't too interested in this, but actually, for one handed use, it is very useful. Press hard on an email, and up pops the message. Easier than going through opening the email, then closing while using only one hand. Useful when running through the airport ;) Press hard on the camera icon and chose from option like Selfie, Take Photo, video. Seems more than a gimmick.

Camera optics and image sensor is an improvement. In Apple's fashion it is more than just more pixels. Very fine images.

Touch ID seems improved. Seems to improve with each iterations. So does Siri. During set up, Siri has you practice some phrases to better understand your accent, etc.

Password is now 6 digits. Hmmm.

I think that is all I explored in the last few days. I could do with the lighter phone, but getting use to it. The processor is meant to be much, much faster and RAM is now 2 Gb instead of 1 Gb...but I haven't really tested speeds.

I had problems connecting with my ATT MicroCell. So did many others. Seems to be an ATT/Apple interface problem. I had to deactivate the MicroCell and reset it up. But during calls its seems to disconnect every time. So maybe there is more work to be done there.

Wifi and LTE are meant to be faster too. Also the M9 motion processor. Live Photos seems like a gimmick to me. Not sure how I would use it.

So what is your opinion? If you are on NEXT, or similar, it is worth the upgrade. If not, you can wait for the iPhone 7 for certain.

But if you are a WA member, we are geeks for phones, so I had to upgrade to prepare for the next 12 months. ;)

I do like iOS 9, and it couples well. The phone is ready for wifi calling, just waiting for ATT launch it. Then I can get rid of the microcell. Suppose to be any day now, after the previous 'any days' ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Post your own observations and opinions....lets get a good discussion going...and not the usual....not worth it, worth comments only.

3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks vf, nice observations.

I got my space grey 6s from the AT&T store late afternoon on launch day. It was one of the shortest and easiest transactions ever.

Being paranoid about dropping the phone I quickly put it in the case, so I never noticed that it is different color than last year.

I did notice the slight weight increase but after about a day I got used to it.

In general the device operates a lot faster and smoother than the 6 for me.

The Touch ID is super fast and accurate.

It took awhile for me to get the hang of 3D Touch and be comfortable pressing hard on the screen. My favorite is how I can scroll down in the peek mode in email and have all the options right there. In general it's basically right click in Windows.

I have last year's Apple leather case in olive brown and this years silicone case in charcoal grey. I find the leather case to be more grippy as opposed to most finding the silicone more grippy.

For me it was worth the upgrade if nothing to put me on track for an yearly upgrade.

I think that's about all the observation I have for now.

Yes, please contribute and let's keep this thread going.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Sorry I can't contribute my own -- thank you @viewfly and @CDG for yours.
    Viewfly - do you have an accent? ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    charlyee likes this.
  5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    palandri likes this.
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @CDG: The way I understood that article, it wasn't that they didn't appreciate it, but that they didn't see the noticeable changes someone might expect with the supposed improved technology. True they do feel that some Android products are better, but I've learned to take articles from web bloggers with a grain of salt. Don't let them spoil your enjoyment. Lately when I read such articles I look to separate specs from opinions. I look for the facts and draw my own conclusions.

7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks much KJ,

No worries about not enjoying my new toy. I didn't get it for the camera anyway. :)

I am not a very serious photographer with a cell phone but it's fun and it's typically always with me.

I was just surprised that with all supposed improvements made to the camera, the picture quality remains almost the same.

Oh and Thank You for posting the GIZMODO article. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6s

KevinJames likes this.
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think it time for you to budget for an iPhone so you can join the reviewing fun, and standing in line too. ;)

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think Kevin's view is correct. And it is interesting that the article's title is not totally supported by the article details itself.

I think part of the authors disappointment is that he hasn't been listening to Apple message for years. And he does not understand imaging science, or if he does, he is seeking 'hits' more than honestly.

Apple has been winning accolades for its camera for years, even with fewer pixels than most competitors. Apple's message was, 'pixel counting' does not matter as much as people believe.

Okay, you will say that viewfly is just an Apple Fanboy, speaking nonsense. I do have some credentials though. In imaging science I have earned nearly a billion dollars in revenue for companies, and I have dozens of patents recognized by the US and foreign governments in the field. I know the science.

And this article only supports that science. 8 to 12 megapixels, didn't really gain anything in cell image quality. So why did Apple do it? My opinion? Probably because they got sick trying to convince people that more is not always better, and certainly not in a linear way. It is hard to argue with some in a spec war. Or maybe the new camera is the starting point for improved camera optics in the iPhone 7. Certainly the cell phone optics are the weak link.

Think of it as looking through a foggy window. No improvement in your eyeglasses will make it better,if that window is foggy.

So his point is that the iPhone 6s is not better in ALL checkpoints. Okay, resolution images of that city show the Moto to be a hair better. But I judge that the contrast, and general image is better in the iPhone 6. As are the flesh tones and general tonal quality in all the images. Some like high contrast, most do not.

And as he does state....in low light, the iPhone 6s shines. And that has been Apple's tech focus for some time now., because most people shoot without flash.

Apple is trying to make the best camera for the way people use cell phone cameras. pixels, light intensity, contrast, optics, pixel size are a complicated mixture...isolating one is not helping you decide on the image quality in the end.

So it is a silly article. Good that many cell phone brand camera are looking equal (except for low light), but expecting a huge improvement in this case was a fools folly, unless you control other factors that limit an otherwise expected change.

My dollar sense.

KevinJames and JFB like this.
  10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, very interesting. I have no problem if the image quality is the same as that of the 6, which has a very fine camera. I was just surprised, since from your post I took it as a definite improvement over the 6.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah I see. Most of the improvements are in low light situations. Reduced noise, improved tonal mapping and more pixels for panorama mode (42 to 63 megapixels total, where pixels count. )

And more pixels in the front camera, where they were under pixels. (1.2 to 5) Plus the screen is used as a flash of sorts for selfies. Try it!

Pixels do count for digital zooming. But for regular shots you won't see much with the current optics.

Bottom line. It's an improvement. But other factors are in play. Like contrast. Poor contrast and it's not possible to make use of all those pixels. It's how our eye-brain works. It causes confusion if one just looks at specs.

Improved local tone mapping
    Improved noise reduction

Panorama (up to
    63 megapixels from 43)

Rear 12 vs 8 mega pixels
    Front 5 vs 1.2 Mega pixels

Screen flash for selfies.

4K video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlyee likes this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I don't hear any.

The improvement in Touch ID is remarkable.

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes it's amazing.

I believe both the earpiece volume and the speaker volume has been bumped up as well.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

14. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @CDG, is your signature outdated? ;)

15. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: I wholeheartedly agree that pixel count is not the whole story. http://www.dpreview.com is an excellent source for understanding technical things in layman's terms. Although not as technical in that field, I have been using Canon DSLRs for years now and have made myself an informed and educated consumer in that field as well. I am proficient with many of the so-called advanced photo techniques and really miss the excursions I used to take before becoming chronically ill.

viewfly likes this.
  16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes I forgot to say something about that. I agree.

My first phone call and I kept looking at the phone. I thought it was on speaker cause it was so loud.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I enjoy that site too for reviews

Your cell phone lens can little compare with a DSLR optic. True also is that most take a cell photo one handed or little support two handed.

A tripod is required to perform resolution tests well. Leaning against a wall even reduces motion greatly.

Remember the days of using your two hands, forehead, and elbows on your waist to support your SLR photos? Holding a cellphone out in front of your face is about the worst one could do.

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The home button on mine is not as "clicky" as the one on my 6.

Just an observation not bothered by it.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I had occasions to make some selfies, which is not normal for me. However the selfie 'screen flash ' worked very nicely, in my opinion. Being a flash the area of the 4.7" screen, it caused no harsh shadows, which normally just makes the closeness of the selfie even worse.

The color of the flash, also gave pleasant skin tones

CDG, keep any eye on the click. I had one fail in an older phone. Any signs, get it replaced under warranty. Mine appears normal.

20. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    LOL. Next thing you know manufacturers will start building LED "beauty lights" into the circumference of the front surface. Now its a race to see who actually does it 1st.