Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New iOS due out soon

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Jun 9, 2015.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    In case you missed yesterday's keynote.

iOS 9 and new Watch iOS coming in fall. Earlier for public beta.

Including iPad multi tasking. Finally. Predictive Siri, transit maps, Activation lock for Watch, Apple streaming music service and more.

New OS for Macs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I'm going to hold off updating to iOS 9 (when it comes out) for a while. Not thrilled with the new standard font change. Also want to wait until all the bugs and issues are worked out. So far, 8.4 is working well on my phone (even though I've disabled the Apple Music app).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I always stay up to date. I think it's the best policy, as not every minor upgrade detail makes the headlines. Perhaps for security reasons, they wouldn't be advertised, if they were discovered yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: Admittedly, I make no effort to keep up with anything Apple or their OS, so excuse my ignorance, but can't a user specify the default font they want to use or is this another case of the "walled garden" approach?

5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Walled garden approach. The Helvetica Neue is the current standard font used for iOS 8. It's been around for several iOs versions. They are changing it to a new, "more readible" font. I like the current one and am not fond of the new font. Not the end of the world, though.

There is no option (I've ever found) to change the native system font (save for jailbroken phones, that is).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The current font was introduced with iOS 7 and many didn't like the change. iOS 9 uses the more readable Apple Watch font. Either way it's a system font and web pages can use any font they want. The system and app font size can be adjusted and accessibility options are there for visually impaired.

It's not a big deal. I hardly remember the old font and the watch font is fine imho

I don't believe stock Android allows system font changes either. Mfgr may allow it or some apps, with or without a rooted phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Stock Android only allows the font size to be changed. Apps can use whatever font they're willing to bundle. Not sure what options the manufacturers provide, if any. Some even take out the ability to change the font size.

viewfly likes this.
  9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    So if I understand correctly there is no way to change the typeface on either iOS or stock Android, correct?

10. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I know nothing about iOS - just trying to decide about Windows 10...

11. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Not correct - I changed the default font on my S6. Settings - display - font.
    I have a choice of "tiny" to "huge" - and 5 pre-loaded fonts, as well as being able to download other fonts.

charlyee likes this.
  12. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was basing my assumption on what dmapr said below. I believe he was talking about stock Android, the capability to change and/or add fonts to the S6 must be a Samsung add on?

dmapr likes this.
  13. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, the stock Android doesn't give the option to change the typeface, only the size. I have heard that Samsung gives the option to change the typeface (and that may mess up some apps that make assumptions about the default font typeface). Having never had touchwiz on any of my devices I have no experience with that.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    From what my little google research revealed today, yes stock android doesn't allow fonts changes, only size changes as in iOS.

The article also mentioned that Samsung or others may give that option, but at the consequence of messing things up a bit, as dmapr also said.

And their appears to be some Android app that give these options too.

But not stock android. I'll find the article again.

Of course an app developer can do as they please in the app. As can a web developer. The browser will handle it. Except the really 'pre smarter phones', like old BB I think.

Here is how to do it with some Samsung phones or apps. May have to root the phone.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-change-android-fonts/

"Stock Android doesn’t have a built-in method for changing system fonts; however, depending on the manufacturer of your phone and the flavor of Android that they install by default, you may have the feature available. For example, on older versions of Samsung’s TouchWiz interface:'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 viewfly, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015