Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

New Hampshire - now. Hawaii - later.

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Chalice, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Chalice

Chalice New Member

I currently have an AT&T Wireless service with a Nokia 5160 phone (1000 minutes for $50). I have used the account for about two years and I am happy with the reception and phone.

I now find that I want to add two more phones (one for my wife for local use, and another for a seldom used phone that needs to be online to receive messages). I have been looking at the family plans and it seems that the shared service plan with three phones might work well (AT&T Wireless). Am I correct that all three lines would have their own separate telephone numbers (and simply share the minutes)?

To complicate matters, I plan to relocate to Hawaii in about six months, but keep a small apartment in NH (my business takes me to both states). Is there any convenient and inexpensive way to cover two states without setting up separate phones in both states? AT&T Wireless serves both places.

I should add that my current service is only for the New England states. I will probably want national service when I make the change.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello. You cover a lot of ground in your post.

Regions within ATT Wireless are not always exactly the same in pricing.

I didn't quite understand the use of the 3rd phone--who would be carrying it. You are right that each phone would have it's own phone number IF you decided on a family plan. But let me work a scenario for you and see if it works for you.

If you are the one carrying the "messaging" phone, how about this: The phone you have currently, leave it on a local or regional plan. The two other phones "home" in Hawaii on a local plan. (I'm assuming your wife will not be traveling with you but be staying in Hawaii.) When you are in Hawaii, use the "messaging" phone on that local plan. When in NH, use your current phone. If that is a workable solution, that would probably give you the greatest number of minutes and features and the least expensive price. (Even if you put all the phones on a regional plan--yours on the "New England" region and the other two on the Western region--it would still be cheaper than all of them on a national plan.)

As far as the move, if you cannot wait until you get to Hawaii to start service on the other two phones, before you start up the service, speak to ATT in your locality and tell them what you need to do. When I moved from an ATT-affiliate market to an outright ATT market, I was not penalized due to the affiliate relationship. Otherwise, I would have incurred early termination fees.

Also, there are limits to the shared plan (here is ATT's speal on that: ATT Shared-plan). One major shortcoming of the shared plan is that it does not offer any nighttime calling minutes. So the peak "anytimes" minutes applies to Sunday 11:59PM through midnight the following Saturday, with the only off-peak time being the weekend. With that in mind, just for two subscribers on the shared plan, the 1000-minute plan for $90 (89.99) would probably be minimal. Then you have to add $20 (19.99) for each additional line, so 90+20+20= $130 month--in your situation. In contrast, getting two regional or even national plans with 400 minutes peak each and unlimited (Western region) off peak daily from 8PM to 7AM is much more cost effective. Put the messaging phone on a bare-bones plan just to receive messages. (Why not just upgrade your phone and combine the functionality of your phone as the messaging phone?)

Kevin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, just thought I would mention that right now AT&T is offering on their share plan just $9.99 for additional lines instead of $19.99 each. It is a holiday special that is good through Jan.26, also there are other enticements. I am going for the $59.99 plan with 500 anytime, 1000 weekend, $50 Nokia rebates per phone, free nationwide long distance, and $40 or $80 service rebates per line, depending on 1yr or 2yr contract. First 2 phones go with plan, then other lines (up to 3 more) are only $9.99 each. I am taking my wife & kids off of Prepay Plan and going with this. It seems like a real good deal. I live in Texas, so I don't know if this special is nationwide.
    Thanks,
    Ronnie

4. Chalice

Chalice New Member

Thanks for your thoughts. They are helpful. I will do some rethinking and then decide how to go with this. (You are correct - my wife will stay in Hawaii while I travel back and forth.) The message phone needs to stay in New England - I want to be able to call in to get the messages no matter where I may be at the time.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I wish I had your email address because chances are you won't look at this thread again, but it really sounds like you could save a chunk of change by using UReach.com. They offer an 800# that can take messages. Messages are coverted to WAV files that are stored in your web email account. You can call your 800# and have the messages played back or you can logon onto your account and play the message WAV file.

The service also sets you up with a free web-based email account that you can check anywhere. You can also call in and have a synthesized voice read emails to you. The account also permits you to fax documents that are converted instantly into 3 different types of files: (bmp, gif, tiff). You can set the account up to page you when you receive a message.

Its "call-through" functionality is also very useful. You can set it up so that anyone calling the 800# gets forwarded to any number you designate (or set up a cascading search that will call a list of numbers until you answer one of them). You can also use it to call through to a number, thus saving long-distance charges. However, there is a fund-account you need to set up before using the service. I had it set to automatically debit my credit card anytime the available funds fell below a preset limit.

I used it during the pilot deployment stage when it was free and kept the service for nearly a year after it became a pay-only service. I've since discontinued the 800# but have kept my free web email account. (yoda2u@ureach.com).

6. Chalice

Chalice New Member

Thanks for the "ureach" idea. I am very interested in an 800# and will investigate this further.

I decided to go with the family plan for now and will try to make a change without the penalty when I get to Hawaii. (I was able to disconnect a conventional phone as part of the transition, so I have saved a few dollars while getting additional coverage.) If worse comes to worse, I will just add a regional phone for my wife in Hawaii when we get out there. I have a one year contract and I wont be in Hawaii until next summer (so the contract will be half over anyway).

I really appreciate your help with my situation. Your ideas are very useful.