Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NEW FREEUP RATES?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by aznmp3, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I don't frequent Yahoo groups often but if there was a FreeUp group that was worthwhile I'd definitely frequent it. Can't wait to get my T300 [​IMG]

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Has anyone tried placing a call tonight and checking to see whether they were billed at 15 cents or 10 cents? I did just the one this afternoon and haven't used my phone yet tonight. Let me know what you find out.

3. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I placed a call to myself last night (my voicemail) and was only billed 10cent/minute. So I am happy that I am still in the same old plan! Oh, one strange thing that I just noticed! I rarely use my voicemail because my T300 has a answering maching built in. I just checked w/VZW website and it says that FreeUp customers must use #738 to access VM. #86 is not supposed to work with FreeUp right? Also, depositing and retrieving VM will be billed at REGULAR rate (which means 30cents/min for a $50 recharge) right?

Anyway, I placed 2 calls in the evening, one to myself to test my voicemail (I haven't used it since I got my T300), and another one to retrieve the msg I left myself. My T300 automatically dial #86 and I got into my voicemail! If I am not mistaken, I could not even do that (use #86) with my first phone, Kyocera 2135pp. The strange thing is, I was billed only for ONE call, the one to my own phone and was only charged 10cent/min. It was as if I was making a regular LD call! This could mean two things: I was not billed for VM, or the "FULL RATE" is whatever rate it is when you place the call (which won't make sense). I was not billed full rate TWICE?! Is this new or is it just the advantage that came from non-FreeUP phone albeit Kyocera 2135pp? Someone please correct me if I am wrong! [​IMG]

4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think with VM they just mean the normal rate for the hour you call, not the 30/35 cents all the time, thought that's what I thought when I first got freeup. I dont go to yahoo groups but if there was a freeup one, I would go to that one for sure! Just post back here I guess and let us know. I wish I could tell you about the billing, but alas I am not charged for calls in my home area, oh darn! LOL! I didn't want to tell anyone this, but...I like you all! [​IMG] In may i went to chicago, and my fone was acting stupid, couldnt place a call, but could receive minus the caller ID. Called up CS, this nice girl fixed it up for me, now I am never charged calls from my home region (just roaming....the normal rates)m and I can now roam properly. So i am a HAPPY freeup customer, Im only charged for SMS's in my home region, and the normal freeup rates while roaming. Don't tell Verizon! [​IMG]

5. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

Do you mean that your local calls are FREE?? You are charged normal rates for roaming and no charge for local calls? This is way cool. Do you want to share how you accomplish this? [​IMG]

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yep, all calls placed in my local area do not show up on the website or 611. I wish I knew how that woman did it, she simply fixed my roaming problem, but did something else too. Is anyone else confused about FREEUP "home" areas? For local digital choice ppl in my area, they get all of DE, NJ, PA as their local area. My area is all of DE, south NJ, and around philly in PA. Those are the only areas where my phone doesn't say "roaming".

7. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

That is so neat! I just made another call to my VM and confirmed that I am not charged for dialing into the system to retrieve VM. That is nice! Of course, I am using *86, and not #738. What are you using for VM? I was going to try #738, but decided not to waste 30cents! [​IMG]

What exactly did you tell the CS? Maybe I can reproduce the problem and get someone to "fix" mine too! Did you use *611 when you called to fix the roaming problem? I am curious, what is the PRL you are using? Did she get you to update your PRL? Sounds like she set up up on the system just like the Local Digital Choice people!

8. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    *86 doesn't work for me to retrieve voicemail. I get a message about not being able to complete the call.
    Chalameau, can you elaborate on the answering machine function of the T300? I'm getting one next week and that sounds like a very useful feature but I'm not sure I now how it works exactly. I understand it allows you to screen calls, but what if you have the phone turned on but it silent mode? Does it record the message in the phone or does it just send it to voice mail? Any info you can share is greatly appreciated.

9. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes please tell us about the answering machine on the t300. Well I was in Chicago and my phone wouldnt let me call anyone, but I could send SMS receive them and receive calls minus Caller ID. So i told her that, she said "you are on the national plan right", I said "yeah" figuring FREEUP was national and shouldnt they know what plan I am on?

10. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh forgot to add that ive never tried *86. I used to use the #738 but now I just dial my own number, it works better for roaming anyway. The 736 thing doesnt even work on mine ever since she fixed it. No, it's not set up like DC, it's set up more like the singlerate. Dave, does your home area correspond to the local digital choice?

11. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm honestly not sure. I've examined the local digital choice map but I can't make sense of it. The only time I've left Connecticut with my phone has been the only time it's gone into "Roaming" on the display and that was while I was in Boston at a Red Sox game. I can't make sense of the digital choice map though. Can someone explain it?
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/images/maps/n_east/n_east_ne_loc.gif

12. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    System A and B has to do with the something, lol it kinda confuses me. One carrier will be A and another one B. Verizon is usually B. But your phone switches automatically. By judging by that map your 'home' area should be the southern ones, but we know that not to be true. While we can roam on Verizon's network for free, they should make our home areas the same as the local dig. choice, and give us a Verizon only PRL.

13. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Can I ask all of you FREEUP owners, when you purchased the FREEUP phone, did you have to show SOME ID? Or use a credit card to get the package? Or they'll just accept cash. I'm asking this cuz im under 18

14. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wish I could answer fully. I am under 18 too, purchased the phone when I was 16. The guys at my local VZW store told me 'no, we don't sell to under 18 y/o's." This EVEN when I told them it was for freeup. I had to get mine @ radioshack, pain in the ___, had to activate the thing myself. Good luck at your store! I guess the guy I talked to was confused (the place was swamped).

15. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I honestly can't remember if I had to show an ID or not. I seem to think the guy put my lisence info into the computer(or made a photo copy of it) but I can't remember. I'm 21 anyway so it didn't matter to me. I paid with my credit card but I'm sure they would have accepted cash.
    Edit-Well I placed a call last night that lasted 1 minute 3 seconds and I was only billed 20 cents, so it looks like the new rates probably don't apply to existing accounts. This definitely makes up for me missing the 200 weekend minute promo when you setup your account by like 2 days.

16. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

The answering machine on the T300 is really quite simple to use. You basically turn it on/off when you want and set it up so that it will wait for 3/5/10secs or no ring before the phone picks up. It will record the message on the phone itself and never sends it to VZW. It works just like a regular answering machine on landline. The call screening thingy, you can turn it on/off so that when someone leaves a message, you can hear what they are saying as they are leaving the message on the headset. Just like call screening on reg answering machine. It really is a useful feature for FreeUp users since you are actually saving money. This is because w/FreeUp, you get charged when someone leaves a msg AND when you retrieve the msg (you have to dial into the system using #738). So with the answering mach, your phone picks up (you get charge for the caller leaving the msg) and you don't have to dial into the system to retrive the msg as the msg is saved in your phone.

I would not recommend disabling the VM on Verizon's side as the answering machine only works in digital mode only. Plus, if you are out of service, at least your caller will be able to leave a msg on VZW's system.

I don't believe that I had to show my driver's license when I signed up for FreeUp. There was never any stipulation on VZW's side that you must be over 18yrs old to get service for FreeUP as far as I can remember. Go ahead and sign up and see what happens. The worst that can happen is, they won't give you a service. It would also help if you don't "look like a kid" when you sign up since that might cause a red flag with the sales rep. Just like in certain places, they don't card you if you "look like an adult" when you buy beer! LOL! Just an idea... I'm over 21, so never really had that problem.

17. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

BTW, I paid w/credit card and I got the service in a VZW kiosk and even got my activation fee waived. The Shack wanted to charge me an activation fee! Shop around! [​IMG]

18. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cool thanks for the info Chalumeau77. Regarding activation fees, I think they only charge you (or try to charge you) an activation fee if you aren't purchasing a phone with the account. I got my Kyocera phone and $15 in minutes for 100 bucks(there was also a thirty dollar rebate which came insanely quick). So the phone cost me about the same as what they charge for it with a rate plan.

19. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I think you are right about getting charged activation fee if you don't purchase a phone. Instead of the $30 rebate, I opted for the $50 REUP card, figure I can use it anyway. They still have that offer now. So w/tax and stuff, I paid $105, but minus the $50 REUP card, the total package only cost me $55, all for a Kyocera 2135pp, $30 airtime (for some reason, the guy at the kiosk gave me $30 instead of $15 airtime, but heck I'm not complaining!). He did forgot to give me the [FREEUP] Setup Guide though, so I was a little lost, but a little digging at VZW's website solved the my questions. It really is an awesome deal come to think about it. Nowadays, if you pair up with another friend, they will give you either a $30 rebate/each or $75 REUP card/each which is quite nice actually! aznmp3, let us know if you decide to get it. [​IMG]

20. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

To tell you the truth, I think the Kyocera is alright. But I'm more of a clamshell guy (even though I can't eat shellfish, kind of weird huh?) lol. I'm planning to get my phone on the August 20th time to get TAX FREE [​IMG] Its expensive.... 20.21 tax. So I'm deciding to get it on tax-free days in NYC'S lower manhattan [​IMG] I'm either gonna pick the lg tm510 or vx1. Probably tm510... I like da samsung one too... But then I wish the the speaker was the folding part of the cellular phone... Like dat sprint samsung phone. Anyway thanks for the support [​IMG] Should I go to a RADIOSHACK OR STAPLES STORE to check up on the activation stuff just incase the verizon store doesn't let me purchase it from there? THANKS EVERYONE

21. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I decided to do a bit of math the other day to see if the new rates would be beneficial to me. I've got 34 bucks in my account so it breaks down to this
    Mobile 2 Mobile is pretty much a non factor to me. I'd probably be using them most at night anyway so I'd prefer to keep the cheaper night minutes.
    As for the peak change, $34/.35=97 peak minutes and 340 off peak.
    New rates would be $34/.30=113 peak and 226 off peak.
    While I gain 16 peak minutes, I'd loose 124 off peak minutes with the new rates. My assesment? I'm glad I'm being charged at the old rates [​IMG]