Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NEW FREEUP RATES?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by aznmp3, Jul 29, 2002.

1. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Has this fact been confirmed? I read on Phone Scoop.com that FREEUP rates are on the rise is this right?

Peak rate = 30 cents a min.
    M2M Verizon ONLY 15 cents min.
    OFFPEAK /WEEKEND MINS. = 15 cents!

Is this true? Is this a real prepaid hike? Verizon truly sucks but you can't blame em for being dragged into the WorldCom mess.

2. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know, I will find out though by tommorow, i gotta call my local store anyway. Love the Verizon M2M addition, too bad all my buds (cept 2) are on CINGULAR (GRR)! I like the lower peak rate (if you use 30$ cards) but the weekend stuff is crap....but I have 1000 or so weekend mins.....Mooby will be interested in this too if true, he has FREEUp too.

3. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Hmm this is interesting. I too am not sure whether to be glad or angry. On the one hand, I'll get more peak minutes and be able to save calling a few of my friends who have Verizon AC plans. However, I don't like that price hike on the night/weekend minutes. I tend to use my phone most at night and on the weekends so that's not good. Hopefully the night/weekend price hike is false.
    Edit- I did the math out and while the 5 cent raise on N/W minutes would stink, I'd still be able to be quite satisfied with FreeUp. Any idea if they are planning on ending the ReUp $XX and get XX weekend minutes? I hope not. It'd be mighty nice if they changed it to be night and weekend minutes. Oh well. We'll see what occurs.

4. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Oh yea the 30 cent minute rate stays.... the rate doesn't increase or decrease depending on card amounts...... That's what someone said on phonescoop.com search for it.... type it freeup rates in news groups.... and press the message on 8/1 effective freeup thing. Also i foudn out that the promotions on 200 weekend minutes end this week..... SO GET IT NOW!!!!!!! I only saw my brother who has freeup receiving a mail on mexico rate increase to 20 cents plus airtime. OTher than that I didn't see anything on regular airtime rates [​IMG]

5. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm still somewhat not totally convinced. I'd think that they'd try to notify subscribers before the new rate goes into effect. I can see the free weekend minutes promo ending though. I'm not a real heavy talker, but I may try and add 50 bucks before it's too late just to accumulate some more of those minutes for the future.

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well the store had no info, maybe Phonescoop is wrong. I read that in FL, VZW had a freeup promo where it was .20 a min peak for 3 months. I was hoping that would be the rate amount it would change to. I agree with you Dave, I would thihnk Verizon would inform us, I mean they have really great CS IMO. Maybe they will come out with some better phones for FREEUP too. Does anyone know if you can use the mobile web w/ FREEUP. I wouldn't mind paying the .30/.35 cent rate for it just like a voice call. Dave, can your 2135 go on the web (my step-dads cannot)? Thanks..

7. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Airb,
    When I launch the browser it says connecting and then says that a connection failure occured. So no mobile web for me. I'm keeping my hopes up that the rates don't go up. I'd be pretty fine with the end of the Get XXX Weekend promo as I've got plenty of money and free minutes in my account but I'd hate to see the night /weekend minutes get hiked up. For the record, I've not had to contact CS other than about my roaming issue(or the lack of a FreeUp specific PRL) and got the basic canned response about roaming with FreeUp(although I sent an email rather than calling). However, the folks at the two Verizon stores I've shopped at (Manchester and Simsbury CT) have both been very helpful(the guy at the Manchester store even switched faceplates on my 2135 for me so I could have a black one). I figure since they notified us about the Mexico rate change, with a more major rate change they'd probably do so as well.

8. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Dave, that is what it says on my step-dads too. that sucks, you should be able to access it for the normal rate charge. FREEUP RATES ARE GOING UP!! Those prices quoted in the first post are correct........I saw it advertised in my local radioshack in the mall. I dont like the weeknite incease, thats when I use my fone most often during the weekdays. (I have like 1000 free weekend mins, so the 15 cents wont apply to there for a long time). I REUP with 50$ sometimes (2 a year usually) so when I travel or summertime I will have more mins. So ppl that REUP with more than 30$ are getting screwed. Grr, I know they could do this but I dont like it much. When are they going to tell us?????????????????????????????????????/

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That increase sucks.

Just when most pre-paid plan prices are comming down. Verizon does the opposite

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Hey! Well, It seems like we have to wait until tomorrow to see if the rates increased. You should make a phone call today to see how many minutes you got left, then end it after the message tone. You should write it down, then tomrorrow at the same time try again, and see how many you have again. From that, you can see if the rates increased [​IMG] You get what I mean? Well, I still didn't get FREEUP yet... Is it recommended by you people still? Or should I go with Cingular Prepaid. The only problem with Cingular is that I cannot call Rochester from New York City and that's kind of pathetic. I'm keeping my hopes of no hikes.... But then if you've been keeping track of stocks, Verizon's stock prices has fell in addition to many other telecommunications companies. That might factor in to the price jack. The 10 cents thing has been in place since the National Prepay idea. Also I tried calling Verizon Salese Department. They are f*ards. The guy got pissed when I was trying to find a pen..... hmm.... and when I tried the customer service for freeup, it didn't accept my brother's freeup phone number..... Its all effed up..... [​IMG]

11. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes I still reccomend it. Cingular is more expensive for peak time plus you are not allowed to roam. Really the 30 cents a minute peak time is cheaper than before, the mobile to mobile is great too, it's just the 15 cent nite/weekend. It's still the best deal. Mooby~~That's when I use my phone the most too (nite), since my weekends will be free for a long time to come since I got the 1000 weekend mins deal last november (plus the 50/200 mins deal since).

12. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

So it's been confirmed that the rates are jacked or must be wait till tomorrow?

13. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

I asked Verizon FREEUP representative today, and he said that there was no rate hike that he knew of. He said that only the international rates are increasing for the Mexico. But still, you should wait till tomorrow to find out.

14. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the rates not changing. Even if they do, I'll still be a very satisfied FreeUp customer.

15. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well they have brochures printed up, posters and all refecting the new prices (it isnt truely a rate hike, its a sacrifice, nie m2m for more expensive n/w). But maybe its only for new customers, who knows? I mean it's not on anyone's website, plus I would think Verizon would have sent out sms's, emails, or letters. They should learn from what ATT did. I left the brochure I took in my moms car, but i know the 75$ cards last 90 days now, and the 150 120 days....but ill never buy them anyway...whats the point now that its all 30 cents?!

16. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

im sorry to say, but its been jacked up [​IMG] check up free2tlk.com

17. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

BUT WAIT! THERE'S SOMETHING STUPID I CAN SAY. the Promotion for 200 weekend mins. are still there!!! yay!!! I figured this out, that if you buy a 50 buck card, you get 333 weekend mins. but then you get 200 mins also so you get 533 mins [​IMG] We gained back a few mins there..... but then you can only see da change with 50 buck card [​IMG]

18. Guest

Guest Guest

prepay costs more.

19. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous,
    See my post in the other thread regarding prepay costing more. It only costs more if you use it as much as you would the typical rate plan. It's much cheaper for light usage.
    Edit-Well even with the change, it's still a good deal for me. They still have 50 free weekend minutes with a 30 dollar reup and 200 with 50 so that's cool. Also, I'll probably spend about the same even though I use the phone a bit more at night only because every now and again one of my friends will call my cell phone during the day. Freeup is still fine by me.

20. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I was hoping against hope that they would not change the rates, but I guess they did. I was a little put off by the change, but was quite relieved to see that the free weekend minutes promo is still on. I tend to make my phone calls during the weekend only. With the price hike of night minutes, it is even more of a reason to SMS instead of calling if you just have a short msg to convey.

I take it Verizon did listen to prepaid consumers wanting to have a longer expiration dates. For that, I must congratulate them. The longer expiration date is targeted at consumers who wants a phone for emergency calls (other than 911, since all phones can call 911 regardless of service). But for us who are cost conscious consumers, it is a little unfortunate. However, looking at the bright side, I will always think twice before calling nowadays to determine whether it is necessary to call or not. It will help me to be more careful with how I use up my minutes/money considering how many people are spending aimlessly nowadays!

Now, if only VZW will start offering data to FreeUp customers, it will be sweet. I don't mind if I have to recharge separately for data... say a 30 dollars card for 300 minutes, data calls only... [​IMG]

21. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Give it some time [​IMG] I was hoping to get Cingular prepaid, but then its kind of ridiculous in the fact that their networks r small as hell and that GSM isn't that great in NYC in the Lower East Side. (I'm a resident of that "mediocre income" area) But then, the reates for the 10 cents thing have stayed for a long long time..... If we're lucky, the rates will not change right now hopefully for some time... As long as the stock market helps Verizon, it will help us [​IMG] But then, the ceos might jack up the prepaid prices :p To tell you the truth, i'm second thinking now about getting freeup. After the price hike, i'm thinking i will stick with my tracfone just for a while..... If we do start a rally against verizon, you might be lucky and get a decrease. But then that's a lil farfetched.

22. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

23. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Someone previously mentioned that they didn't like the idea that you can only get one phone on FreeUP, and you can't use any of Verizon's other phones. Well, Verizon just bought Cellular One's network in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Morristown, and a couple other areas in East TN... I went into one of the former CellOne stores, which is now Verizon. All their phones had prices for 1-year, 2-year, full retail, and FreeUP. So at least around here, we can use any phone with FreeUP.... and yes, they even had a FreeUP price on the VX-1... and the Sharp Z800 (or whichever one it is with the color screen). You might wanna check with your local Verizon store and ASK if they'll let you get a different phone with prepay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cyro, it's the same here too (DE). Phones for FREEUP cost the same as a one-year contract at my local store. Im glad that Verizon has made the transition down there. When my schools band was there (Forge) we all had to roam on Sprint, too bad sprint wouldnt let me roam since I am FREEUP (but Verizon fixed this for me later).

25. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

Actually, you can use ANY of Verizon's phone w/FreeUp. I am using the QWest Olympic T300 phone on FreeUp. I don't know if they will sell you other phone (probably will) other than Kyocera 2135pp, but it won't hurt to ask. The only thing is, you will have to pay for it FULL price. The subsidized price are for postpaid plans only. It is a well known fact that you can use any of Verizon's TRIMODE phone on FreeUP. They won't activate non-trimode phones. The reason is because they want people to be able to switch to the postpaid plan if they are satisfied with the service. If you want to save money, go to Ebay and get one of Verizon's phone and then activate it. Make sure it is a Verizon phone (check with VZW website for the postpaid plan phone offerings), or else the ESN won't be in VZW's database and they won't activate it for you.

26. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^^^^^^^^^^ In my area, the phones for FREEUP are NOT full price. They are the same price as a one year contract. So for example a phone was 100$ for a one year contract and 70$ for a 2 year contract, then it would be 100$ to use with FREEUP.

27. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think in my area the FreeUp prices are slightly higher than a 1 year contract but still not full bust out retail. I can't remember as I decided to get a 2135 sheerly due to the cost(and the black faceplate the guy swapped onto it).

28. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The plot thickens. As I was leaving work for my lunch hour today I quickly called home. My call lasted 47 seconds and I was charged 35 cents, not 30 cents. I'll try placing a call tonight to see if I'm charged 15 cents or 10 cents. Already I'm thinking the new rates are for new accounts only. Either way I'm still happy with the service.

29. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I just called up CS and ask them about this and guess what? Nobody seems to know. The CS put me on hold to ask her supervisor and the super doesn't know either. She basically told me that the new rates should not affect me. If this is true, then it is GOOD news for me as I am quite happy with the 10 cents/minute for nights!

This brings a couple of questions to my mind:
    a) I just received a call from a friend who also uses Verizon (postpaid) and I was billed 30cents/minute (I last recharged with $50). So I guess the CS is right then? Or does M2M rates only works one way; ie. calls I made and not received.

b) How would a existing FreeUp user change to the new rates if desired (not that I would want to!). With postpaid, you basically restart your contract all over again. But what about FreeUp users?

The plot does indeed thickens! [​IMG]

30. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I am thinking of starting a new yahoo group of FreeUp. Do you guys think there will be interest?