Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Cellumap Website: now with Towers

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by RadioRaiders, Nov 1, 2013.

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    The Cellumap website has undergone a massive face-lift!

See the NEW Cellumap website

Aside from using the newer version of Google Maps, it is now also possible to display up to 300 towers in the map window. Tower data is limited to USA and Canada, is not always associated with a cellular operator, and may not be complete, ie: it's provided on a "best effort" service.

None-the-less it will be interesting to compare coverage plots to tower locations to figure out what carriers are on a particular tower, how many sectors there are, what the Cell ID's are, etc.

Clicking on the tower gives an areal view of the tower location, as well as address and other info. Here's a screen-shot from the "how-to" section of the website:
    how-to-map-4.PNG

The other new and interesting feature is the Cell ID Filter. Once you have displayed coverage points on the screen, you can use the filter to display only one Cell ID at a time, in order to see the coverage of only one particular cell. This can be sueful to see how big of an area a certain cell covers, or if the area is covered by only one cell or by many.

Here's a screen-shot from the "how-to" section of the website:
    CID-1.PNG

For the phone app, the Android version will be updated int he coming months, followed by a BlackBerry 10 app. More details later.

Have fun with it, and post any questions, comments, feedback below :)

4 people like this.
  2. Nucleartx

Nucleartx New Member

Sweet, been using Antenna search but hate some of the limitations and hard to find rural locations.

3. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean the 300 tower display limit? I could make it more, but then it slows down the loading time significantly.

I recommend to zoom in to an area that you are interested in, and then slowly zoom out and do a tower search each time. If you are looking in rural areas, try not to include any areas with cities in the map view.

4. Nucleartx

Nucleartx New Member

I mean the 4 mile search parameters on Antenna Search. Your site has about half the towers that Antenna search comes back with though. If you could do Antennas and Towers it would be a lot better.

5. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Oh, yea, I agree, Antenna Search probably has more towers, but the process to show towers is not the best. I will add hopefully more towers to Cellumap in the future.

6. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Motorola Moto X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Republic Wireless
    Amazing work there!

3 people like this.
  7. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Thanks! :) BTW, since I dropped my forum on RadioRaiders (due to lack of activity and spam), I linked back to this thread for any Cellumap related questions. I guess you don't mind if I drive some traffic to WA?

Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps

8. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I'm happy to announce that Cellumap for BlackBerry 10 (with LTE) is now available for download in BlackBerry World :)

Cellumap - BlackBerry World

I have used/tested it on GSM/UMTS/LTE networks, but I don't have a CDMA network available to test on, so if anyone knows a BB10 user on CDMA, please ask them to give me some feedback as to how it's working.

I'll start working on updating the Android app to include LTE sometime over the summer.

Have fun with it! :cool:

cm0asm.jpg

1 person likes this.
  9. Nucleartx

Nucleartx New Member

I had to login to say thanks! Now I didn't see that you had updated the app but I'm on iOS now and you can't access the API's needed to properly map there now.

10. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Hey, thanks for using my app :) Unfortunately, iOS and Windows Phone don't allow developers to access the cellular info that I need to make Cellumap work on those OS's :( The Cellumap phone app only works on Android and BlackBerry. Of course the website/map can be accessed by any desktop web-browser.