Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Introduction New and confused by cell phone plans

Discussion in 'The WirelessAdvisor Community' started by marksgirl, Mar 23, 2009.

1. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    Hello to all out in WIRELESS ADVISOR Land,
    A little bit about myself - a 52 yr old grandmother, married , who has been with Sprint/Nextel for approx. 12 yrs. Has Sprint when we lived in the Poconos in PA, and then when we moved back to the Jersey Shore we moved to Nextel. It has always worked well for us , especially when traveling and to be honest I have never had a problem with customer service.
    But now my adult children how both moved South and Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T do not really get great coverage where they are.
    I also do not get very good coverage from Nextel at my home and according to the coverage map it will be worse if I switch to Sprint.
    My option now is Verizon. I'm impressed with their coverage and what they have to offer, less with their phone choices especially compered to T-mobile. But some things are confusing. Like Nationwide coverage vs. National Enhanced Services. I have read many reviews and people have written that you can get a plan that pays for things like picture mail or SMS [which I have no idea what that is] and if you get the wrong phone you pay per message. So I am to afraid to pull the trigger and my contract has been up with Sprint since December.
    I'm hoping the knowledgeable people here will be able to help and my questions won't be to stupid. Thanks for reading.
    Marksgirl:confused:

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Welcome to Wireless Advisor.

First off, the reason T-Mobile and Verizon phones are so different is because they operate on different network technologies (GSM for T-Mobile and CDMA for Verizon). Phones between them are incompatible with each other.

Secondly, SMS (short messaging service) is texting. Picture messaging is the more advanced form of texting with pictures and video sending capabilities.

Thirdly, Verizons plans are offered with different options bundled into a price point:

(This is the individual line pricing. Family Share plans are more and start at a higher price point)

All plans include 450 Anytime minutes, Unlimited mobile to mobile, Unlimited Night and Weekend minutes, and Domestic Long Distance.

Basic Plan ($39.99): rates for Text messages are 0.20 cents per message, Picture/Video messages are 0.25 cents per message, mobile Internet is $1.99 per 1MB used.

Select Plan ($59.99): includes unlimited text, picture and video messaging, Mobile Internet is still $1.99 per 1MB used.

Connect Plan ($69.99): includes unlimited text, picture and video messaging and unlimited mobile internet with e-mail.

Premium Plan ($79.99): includes unlimited text, picture and video messaging, unlimited mobile Internet and e-mail, along with VZ navigator, and VCast VPack.

The above plans can seem a bit confusing. I suggest talking to a customer service rep if you need more assistance with them.

If you get certain high-end phones with an unrestricted Internet browser, you will have to get a mandatory data plan.

Also, you should know if you opt for just the basic phone plan, you can request a data/text block to avoid any unexpected charges. This is what I've done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 M in LA, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  3. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    "Connect Plan ($69.99): includes unlimited text, picture and video messaging and unlimited mobile Internet with e-mail"

Dear Mobile Mike,
    1st) Thanks for the fast answer
    2nd) I have gotten more info from you in a paragraph then reading Verizon's website, Blog websites, and anywhere I can find.
    3rd)A couple of more questions if you don't mind? if you do I'll understand.
    As far as Connect or Premium Plans go when you use those unlimited "ITEMS", IE:messing, web,etc. do you use your minutes or not?
    If I did get Prem. Family Plan what phones do you suggest ?

Thanks again, Mike, I truly do appreciate your help.
    Marksgirl

4. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Since the Connect plan is the 2nd option at $59.99, the text, picture and video messaging do not come off of plan minutes. They have their bucket of allotments. Since they are unlimited, you don't have to worry about it. What you do need to keep in mind is, at this price point, Mobile Web is a cost feature. For every 1MB of data used, you are charged $1.99. With the Premium plan, there is no per MB charge, as it is "unlimited" (which in Verizon speak means there's a 5GB cap, which is A LOT of data being used. Again, nothing to worry about unless your using the web option on your phone to send massively huge files...)

The prices I gave you were for Individual plans. Depending on how many lines your going to have, you'll have to add quite a bit more to the price points I gave you.

Here's the breakdown of the basic prices for the Family Share plans. The options are the exact same as the Individual plans, the difference is the starting price is more because it includes 2 lines (primary and second line) and includes 700 anytime minutes (versus the 450 minutes for a single line). I believe the cost for lines 3 through 5 is an additional $9.99 for each line. It adds up after a while...:eek:

Basic Family Share - $69.99 for two lines

Select Family Share - $99.99 for two lines

Connect Family Share - $119.99 for two lines

Premium Family Share - $139.99 for two lines

Verizon is quite expensive, but if you get strong coverage, it'll be worth it.

I almost forgot about your question on which phone to get. It really depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a flip-phone? A touch screen phone? or something else? Let me know what you're interested in and I can try and recommend one for you.

And no, I don't mind helping you out. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer what I can. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    "Verizon is quite expensive, but if you get strong coverage, it'll be worth it. "

Mike,
    I agree on the expense, but I have to tell you at my age the saying "you get what you pay for" is something you learn the hard way. With the children moving and taking the grandchildren with them, how rude! LOL. I feel Mark and I will be on the road traveling South a lot more this summer and it is important that we have a cell phone service to count on. I read on here everywhere about the expense but I guess the proof will be in the pudding , so to speak. Any suggestions on the phones?
    Thanks again, Mike, your certainly "SUPER" to me.
    Marksgirl

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thank you...:O I'm just doing what the aim of this site is, to be a wireless advisor. I've had Verizon (and its predecessors) since 1994, so I'm quite familiar with how they operate.

Also, I forgot to answer you question about phones. I edited my post to add some questions for you. By the time I was done, you had already responded. So check out the questions and let me know what you're looking for. :)

7. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON

Well that is very kind of you. For myself I would like a touch phone, but for my husband I need a flip with big buttons if possible. He has very long wide fingers. I would use web, email, text, picture text, v-cast, music player, camera, etc.
    He on the other hand would use camera and mp3 player, also VZ navigation. He doesn't use the computer at home now , he wouldn't use email or web on a phone. I run all electronics in the house, not his thing. So DVR'S, DVD RECORDERS, FLAT SCREENS, PHONES, VCR [BACK IN THE DAY] I had to research decide which one to buy and learn how to use it. He would install it. To this day he can't record a program with a DVR remote, my 7 yr old grandson can. But it is not his thing. He builds and makes things, I can't so it works. Anyway his phone needs to be as uncomplicated as possible. Both need Bluetooth and even though I would like the following on mine he must have voice command, where you don't have to train it. I looked at all of their phones I do not expect you to do research. I want off top of your head your opinion of some models and I will see if they fit.
    Thanks again Mike:)
    Marksgirl

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    So here are the "off the top of my head" recommendations"

Flip Phones for your husband:

Nokia 6205 or 7205 - Excellent signal quality, sleek but simple designs. Good solid all-around phones.

LG VX8350 or Chocolate 3 - These are LG's top flip-phones. They do just about everything you want it to do. I've never owned either of them, but I have friends who do and they really like the phones

Touch-screen Phones for you:

LG Dare, Voyager, or Versa - The Voyager has an internal keypad plus two screens. I have this phone and love it. If you plan on texting a lot, this is a great phone for that.

The Dare is an all touch-screen phone. It is very sleek and compact. It's like the Voyager but without the internal screen and QWERTY keypad.

The Versa is new and has a detachable keypad housing. I don't know much about it but it looks interesting.
    _________

As far as any Samsung or Motorola phones, I have to say I dislike Samsung intensely and with Motorola, I'm not sure of them anymore. They used to be great, but something's not right with them now. I'm biased against those two, so if you happen to like their phones, check them out at a store. They may work better for you than the ones I suggested.

Both Samsung and Motorola offer flip and touch-screen phones.

Smartphones are a whole different animal. Check with Verizon if you're interested in one of them. There may be additional charges for having a smartphone. I'm not sure about this though.

Also, outside of the Blackberry and smartphones, Verizon uses their own user interface on their phones, so no matter what phone you get, the menu structure will be the same or close to it. This might be a benefit for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your phone selection! :)

9. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON

Hey Mike,:hellobye:
    Sorry I missed you till now. I totally agree about Samsung and Motorola phones, I have a Motorola now with Sprint and it just stopped working. Battery is working fine but phone just died.
    For me I think I'm leaning towards the Dare, for Mark I think the I'll need to look at all 4 of the ones you mentioned. I'll let you know how I make out.
    Mike I really hope you know how much I appreciate your time and your help. It really was more important to me then you know. I was totally fried out and confused after reading and rereading the Verizon sites and different Blogs with opinions of the service and phones.Your help cleared everything up and simplified it for me, which while making my life much easier, will also save me a lot of money in the long run.
    Thank You Again,:clap:
    Marksgirl

10. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    Mike,
    Before I forget one more thing. Do you know the difference between Nationwide coverage vs. National Enhanced Services? It's the last thing I'm confused about.
    Thanks,
    Marksgirl

#10 marksgirl, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  11. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    "Nationwide" is the plan type that replaced "America's Choice" a few years ago. The difference in classification now is with Nationwide your service will work anywhere on the Verizon network and approved roaming networks. When outside of either, you simply won't have service. I believe Verizon instituted this to do away with roaming on carriers they don't have an agreement with (and having to pay roaming fees to).

National Enhanced Services is basically the ability to use all of Verizon's data/text/etc. features while on their network (basically 3G access). It's not a competing plan of any kind with Nationwide. There may still be areas of the country where Verizon does not have their "EV-DO 3G" service (rural areas mostly).

There's even Extended Enhanced National Service with certain preferred roaming partners for use of their 3G features outside of the VZW network.

There you go! I'm glad I was able to help you get the answers you needed. :)