Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Call Blocking

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by KevinJames, Apr 14, 2017.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I had heard that the networks were all working on a solution but I didn't know they finally implemented a solution. Of the big 4, Sprint seems to be the only one that charges for the service. Here are links to articles for the other three services:

AT&T: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-voice/KM1041912

Verizon:
    https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.co...etails.action?productName=callMessageBlocking

T-Mobile: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/05/t-mobile-announces-free-automatic-scam-call-blocking/

dmapr likes this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @KevinJames, the AT&T link is for the U-Verse voice service, not the cellular.

3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I have it on my Nexus 6P with Google Fi. The phone rings with a spam message and I add it to call blocking.

dmapr likes this.
  4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    My phone is not supported of course (what else is new), but I stopped reading after the words "Download the AT&T Call Protect app" anyway Like @palandri, I'll be relying on the Google phone app to suggest spam callers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 23 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The Verizon version requires one enter up to 5 numbers that will have calls and texts blocked. It expires after 90 days, forcing you to enter them again. The blocked caller gets a specific message from Verizon. I don't use this service because of the limitations.

About 5 months ago, Call Control, which I had on a couple of Android phones, finally made an iOS app. It's not as expansive as the Android version, but it's sufficient. It appears to do the job. I paid the one-time $7.99 fee for lifetime "Pro" service on the Android version, which carries over (limited and grandfathered) on iOS. The iOS version has monthly/yearly plans offering more (not into monthly fees myself).

Call Control worked fantastic on Android. Rarely were there glitches and the app developers would release fixes quickly. I'm still testing out the iOS version.

Third party apps appear to do a better job of call/text blocking than the (hamstrung, IMO) carrier versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    KevinJames likes this.
  7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Like M in LA, I also use Call Control and have nothing but positive feedback about it. Especially its ability to use wildcard matches is invaluable. (I was getting frequent calls from a town in the Sierra Mountains. The area code and prefix were always the same but the last four digits varied. So I blocked everything from that a/c and prefix. Works great.)

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M8 (AT&T)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I use the HiYa app. The app has the ability to silence the ringer for spam calls, but I find in those instances the default phone app just takes over and rings the phone anyway. It comes up on the screen "SPAM" and I just decline the call. Works for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I've think I've mentioned it before and I'm sure I'm not the first to reflect: The spammers, scammers, spoofers, etc are very creative people. It is too bad they don't use their skills to better human society instead of trying to ruin it. Especially those involved in DDoS attempts. If they really succeeded in bringing the internet to its knees, have they even given any consideration that they also ruined for themselves?