Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need some advice Alltel/Nokia 5185 prl/sid

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by techmonkey, Jul 12, 2007.

1. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5185i
    I just had to start using a cell just this month after x years of not using any cell at all. Using a phone from 2002 (Nokia 5185i) and trying to find out some information. My apologies if this doubles other threads, I did try searching, but most discussions are in the context of 'knowing what you're doing'.

Basically:

I 'roam' myself, going around to different cities in the region.

The phone seems to not be updated in any way. This is a loaner from
    my parents who wouldn't know or care about such things as this.
    (the occasional weekend call, not much use otherwise)

Do I:

Just go to the Alltel place and tell them 'update my prl'?

Too simple. I'm a techie. I want to play with dangerous things.
    I can get into the service mode, but afraid to commit to anything yet.

Such as: Should I be adding SIDs to the optional list?

Doing the prl update- over the phone, upload or at the store?

The SID listing I found didn't even cover my home region, but..
    is that covered under the PRL anyway? (updated or not)

Things I don't want to do:
    screw up the phone. force it into expensive modes.

Things I want to do:

enter the regions I typically wander to so it's ready and able to adapt to the coverage in the most inexpensive manner (as cell phone plans go)

and the way it searches seems to imply it's having some difficulty even staring right at a cell tower (probably a different provider in that case)

Sorry if I seem clueless. Ask me a Mac/PC tech question, I'm fine.
    Cell settings are new territory for me.

2. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    Nokia 5185 if I remember correctly, and its been a long time since I saw one of those phones. That phone is not even e911 enabled, I cant remember if that one was a tri mode Analog/Digital/PCS or just dual mode. It could explain why it is having some of the issue it is having.. seeing as I know for a fact that phone just says roam when its roaming... and I bet it would have issues with the newer plans and the PRL's.... you can take it to the store and get it checked... they might help...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5185i
    'tis a couple years old.. a big clue yesterday when I got a handsfree adaptor and faceplate for .99 each at RatioSnack.

4. wermovies

wermovies New Member

I'm very surprised someone actually activated it. We're an Alltel agent and we've been instructed not to activate anything that is not 911 compliant. That phone has been gone a LONG time (thus your $0.99 faceplate) and it's only a dual-mode phone. I may have some of the old SID codes for Michigan, but outside of that area I'm afraid I know very little.

If memory serves, you're still going to have problems with roaming because most of the PRL's are now set up for CDMA technology, and the 5100 series was analog and TDMA only.

Best suggestion would be to look for something on ebay or something that is E911 compliant. The nokia 3500 series replaced the 5100 series, and even they have been discontinued.

5. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5185i
    Well, it's kinda like that guy who used his bag phone until the analog dropped; it works, it calls.. and it's borrowed. It's just stayed active over the years without much interaction with the store.

So.. I guess I leave the 'stop by the store' part out. (Will they tackle me, threaten to beat me up until I upgrade the phone? I kid.)

Or is it actual 'required of us to not fool with them' or perhaps wink-wink nudge 'here's our zone code list for the area, you translate that into 5185-speak, and take this brochure for the nokia 869502i, won't ya? you'll need it after you misconfigure the phone he he '..

Again, I'm new to this.. let me ask this, then:

My understanding is that it uses these entries to prefer to look at x region in order of entry. Primary, second, and so on.

The phone as it is has only one SID entry in the Nam1. Nothing else.
    from things like http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/alltel-users/63661-roaming-using-alltel-owned-pcs-sid.html

I'm guessing I might get some of those 'staring at the cell tower' and no signal problems fixed. Or not. Someone's in my area on that thread, so they probably know the numbers I need. If I'm guessing correctly:

I would have entries like (not actual codes)
    SID1 (home default) 01 (default NID)
    SID2 (a sid in a region I visit) (default NID)-Although I've heard of having to specify a NID with some of these but that's for the other thread.
    SID 3 (another area or an overlapping one) (default NID)

..and these would be based on a proper alltel code list I find from a reliable source. and will not complicate the phone bill.

Next up, the mysterious NAM2 with the 4 digit number 000000xxxx?

The help is much appreciated.

Someone's specs for the 5185 mentions it as "TriMode phone: 800 MHz CDMA, 1900 MHz CDMA and AMPS."

Aww.. it's birthday is coming up. 07/15/2002 on the software.

6. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5185i
    okay, not as painful or hack-like as I feared. just put in the regions I go to in the SID and go on with things and hope it's the right thing to do here. Seems like it. I like having the 'antique' phone, it does the job and just had a few optional roaming areas omitted. Guess I'll find out next road trip../bill..

7. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Glad I Could help :)

Anyway, being near Western NC,
    you should also put US Cellular (SID 246) & Carolina West (SID 1522) into your NAM as well.

I organize my settings by putting all Alltel SIDs into NAM1
    (I also have USCC SID 246 & Carolina West SID 1522 in NAM1 beacuse they also use cellular band B [800MHz]).

I put all Sprint & Verizon's SIDs into NAM2. (such as 139, 4376)

However, there are lots of places where VZW/Sprint won't let you roam.
    This is because the SID/NIDs are Neg'd for the area
    (this may be because the are no Alltel coverage borders nearby).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...