Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need Prepaid Advice(Connecticut)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I had recently been using AT&T Free 2Go Wireless service. I had various problems with it but was still fairly satisfied. The other night I went out and dropped my phone. Before I could find it someone took it and now I'm without a phone. I'm still liking the prepaid option as I am a light usage person. As I said before, I wasn't too happy with AT&T. I'm looking at three options, Cingular, Verizon, and possibly Voice Stream. It seems like the best deal minute wise is Cingular. $20 in minutes lasts 90 days. With verizon, it seems like the lowest increment is $30 and those only last 60 days. Voice stream seems even worse. The only thing thing about Verizon is that they have better phones for less money(the Kyocera for 69.99 seems like a great deal). With cingular I'd have either the Ericsson or pay alot more to get the Nokia 5165(my previous phone that was good but not great). Does anyone know if Verizon offers smaller minute increments than $30 and if so how long they last? Any other advice? Thanks
    Dave

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, Verizon's pre-paid cards start at $30, by the way another thing to think about with Verizon's Free Up is that they take off minutes even if a caller gets your Voicemail and leaves a message many consider this unfair and as far as I am aware they are the only company to do this. Skip VoiceStream I have seen there pre-paid rates there not so good plus GSM coverage is more limited then what you would get with Verizon or Cingular. Go with Verizon or Cingular [​IMG]

3. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon's FREEUP is the best. Yes, the smallest amount is 30$, but that is still only 15$ a month, since it does last for
    2 months. And, it includes roaming on the Verizon network. The CS for it is great too, they actually care!
    Freeup doesn't seem like Prepay to me, it's such a nice arrangement. Also you can REUP your minutes with a credit card
    and I think that can be done with less than 30$. Email Verizon, they will respond quickly and with great knowledge.
    I looked at Cingular, Voicestream (No ATT where I am located) and Verizon truely is the best Prepay deal out there.
    Check it out!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular prepaid only works in CT. if you want to use it out of state get Verizon.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I did some more research. Verizon allows you to add less than $30 to your account but it only lasts 30 days. Not too good if you ask me, although I wouldn't be against it if I could do $10 a month. Cingular is 90 days for increments of $20 and over. I can't justify spending $15 a month when I can get similar service for ~$7 a month through Cingular. Luckily, the local mall has both Verizon stores and Cingular stores so I think I'll pop in and figure out which is best for me. Hopefully I can reach cingular towers in both my home address and my school address. That was one of the problems I had with AT&T. I wasn't roaming but I was always getting put on other carriers towers which required me to re enter the number everytime. Thanks for the advice.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It depends on what you want if price is your main concern then Cingular is a better choice, if coverage is your main concern though you will be better off with Verizon.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I was looking over the fine print on the Cingular web site and it looks like you can't even place outgoing calls if you're outside of your home area unless you provide them a credit card(not a problem but it kind of defeats the purpose of a prepaid phone) and the rate is an astounding $1.95 per minute! The only question is how big the home calling area is. I'm confused. From the map they provide it looks like it's CT, MA, and Rhode Island. Am I reading it wrong?
    http://onlinestore.cingular.com/images/Northeast/snesne/Maps/connecticut.gif
    Thanks again

8. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, I think you are reading it right, but that really isn't a big area. Again I'd go with Verizon, I mean 15$ a month isn't alot, sure it's more than 7, but I think Verizon is about to lower its rates again. Plus you get FREE weekend minutes, and roaming, you won't get that with Cingular. I had the same decision as you did, in Delaware though, and Verizon just simply was the best! Good luck, post back with your decision! [​IMG] P.S. Looked at Cingular's site for Prepaid service in your area, same as mine, VERY expensive phones. Verizon's it only 99$, and you get a 30$ rebate, or a 50$ FREEUP card. I don't see who wouldn't take the 50$, thats 160 some minutes!

9. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Decided I'd not be anonymous anymore [​IMG]

Anyhow, I'm definitely considering both options. I had a chance to play around with my friend's Ericsson Cingular phone last night(I think it's the same one they offer for the prepaid service) and I was quite impressed. My only concerns are about coverage. I had issues with AT&T where I could never get signal from an AT&T tower. I wasn't billed for roaming(as I was still in the home area) but I did have to re dial the number for every call. Quite the pain. I think I'll take a trip to the mall this week and hit the cingular and verizon stores and grill the sales people. I agree, on the surface Verizon seems to be the more logical, but perhaps more expensive option. However, if the converage offered by Cingular covers me in MA, CT, and RI, then Cingular might not be bad idea for me as I rarely travel outside of those three states. In the end, I'd rather have cheaper bills that more minutes as I am a very light usage person. Anyhow, thanks for all the advice and I'll keep everyone up to speed.

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sounds like Cingular might be a better choice for you then, just ask around and see how there coverage is for your area. Good luck though and let us know what you decide to do [​IMG]

11. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    One last question. I did some more research and it seems like if I'm outside of my area (say in NYC or New York state) the Cingular prepaid will simply not allow me to place a call. Is this the case? If so, I think I'd be willing to opt for Verizon just in case I ever was outside of the area and needed to make a call(911, AAA, those kind of things). I also found that you can add as little as $10 every 30 days with Freeup. In which case that would make free up only about 3.50 more a month. I'd be willing to spend 3.50 more a month to know I can get coverage in an area outside of my home area in an emergency or the rare occasion I'd need it. Again, thanks for all the advice. Should I opt for Verizon, how is the Kyocera phone? I've read some mixed reviews but overall it seems quite nice to me.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't think you can roam with Cingular Prepaid. I was just looking over there website for my area under there prepaid section and I saw this message. "Roaming is not available outside North Carolina, South Carolina, coastal Georgia, or east Tennessee." If you want the ability to roam you should get FREEUP from Verizon, I know you can roam with them for 99 cents a minute I believe. I'm going to give you a link below for Verizon's Prepaid site as well as reviews for the Kyocera phone from Epinions.com

FREEUP from Verizon Wireless

Kyocera 2135

13. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I forgot to meantion CNET also did a recent review of that phone the review for it can be found at the link below.

Kyocera 2135

14. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks so much for the help. I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go with Verizon. I'm gonna double check with Cingular to be sure but if that is the case and I can't roam, I'm going with Verizon assuming the sales people don't anticipate any problems in my location.

15. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cool! ^ Freeup really is a good service and trust me I am very picky. If you ever have a problem just email them, they really care. I think you could call 911 with Cingular, but for an extra 3.50, it would be nice to call anyone. Roaming is FREE with Verizon, not .99cents. It's free if you are on the Verizon network (analog or dig.), only .99 on another carriee, which wont hardly ever happen since Verizon is so big. Good luck!

16. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    verizon would be the best in conneticut

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah I've decided to go with Free Up. I'm gonna spring for the Kyocera phone(instead of the dual mode Audiovox). Thanks again for the help and I'll post later this week once I get it all setup.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

remeber if you roam with verizon they charge you .99 a minute, so if you're getting a cell from someone else's tower you're going to be charged. you do get 200 free weekend minutes, if you purchase a fifty dollar card. Voice stream doesn't let you roam so you won't get charged...and their rates are much cheaper-(w/$50 card)-but in all reality average out because you don't get the bonus or cheaper weekend minutes--so it all depends when you use your phone the most.
    Cin

19. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BUT, you will hardly ever roam. The .99 cent roam rate IS ONLY for off-network roaming. Roaming on the WHOLE Verizon network is free......and it's a big network!! [​IMG] You would really have to be out in the boonies NOT to receive a VZW signal....and if they don't have service, chances are no one else does either! Freeup's great!

20. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Hello there......this is a City listing of covered areas for FreeUp........

Bridgeport
    Danbury
    Hartford
    Meriden
    New Britain
    New Haven
    New London
    Norwich
    Stamford

These are cities listed.....but also the surrounding area is covered too..........too many to list. This list may be outdated...........go to www.verizonwireless.com under freeup and see the newest slection of areas to choose from.

Hope this helps[​IMG]

21. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah I checked the site. Freeup is listed as available for both my home zip (06089) and school zip(06269). There's a verizon store in my hometown and I used a friend's Verizon phone here at school (when I was trying to call the phone I had just lost minutes earlier)and it clearly said "Verizon" on the screen, so I'm guessing that means there's a tower close by. I'm not worried about coverage knowing this. Looking forward to getting a cell again. I just hope I can get a non neon blue/purple version of the Kyocera phone [​IMG] Oh well, I can always get a cheap faceplate on ebay.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

you can purchase any phone that verizon has that you want but it may cost a little more
    I have verizon prepaid and bought the motorola timeport 270c--I like many things about this phone.
    I live in Mass..and I do roam in a couple of towns because someone else's tower is there and it picks up their cell, and if I go a mile down the road I get free roaming--so it all depends where you make your call from
    Cin

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Wayne,
    I know you're in Texas. Probably never been to Connectcut. (Most people haven't. I happen to live there.)

Those cities you list for Connecticut are the Verizon RATE CENTERS -- where the cell number will be homed. (You actually missed Waterbury, but that's OK!) Verizon serves all of the state except for Litchfield County (which is ATT).

Mooby's zip codes show him in Simbury and Storrs. Both are Verizon country.

If a college student thinks that pre-paid service is right for him (and only he knows his calling patterns), Verizon would be the obvious choice for CT, MA, RI, and nearby NY. I would however think that a post-pay plan with more time would be more in keeping with my understanding of his generation's phone usage.. (But then, there is the credit check!)

PS: I have a Verizon National plan.

24. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Any idea how much the Motorola V120c would cost me if I was gonna use it for FreeUp? I've always been a fan of Motorola products and to me it just seems a bit sturdier than the Kyocera. Any reviews of this phone? As far as the prepaid vs. postaid, I think most college students use their phones all the time just because they can. They pay 25 dollars a month and to justify this they have it glued to their ears. I use it lightly(basically when I need to make a call or recieve a call and I'm not gonna be near my landline). For that reason, I can't justify spending 25 or more dollars a month. Plus, once my brother had a post paid phone. He was making a call and somehow forgot to press end. Somehow the phone stayed on all night and he got a nice $900 bill that month. So for a variety of reasons a post paid plan is not the best option for me.

25. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Sprint doesn't have the best service in your home town, but they do have decent coverage at UCONN. You will prob be better off with Verizon, Cingular covers about half the area Verizon does.

26. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yea sprint has a tower right behind one of the other dorms on campus. I always see it as I'm walking up to my dorm. However, Sprint is just too expensive for me. It seems like Verizon offers the best in both towns for me so I'm gonna go with that.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

I like motorola products myself but I wouldn't get the v120--I have a motorola 270 and a friend had the 120 I was able to pick up a cell at home while he was unable to.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Since sprint has a tower right there on campus you may want to check out their post pay services...kind of like free up---but yet not--maybe worth checking into!

29. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, I've made up my mind. As I said before, Sprint is too expensive. 34.99 a month is an insane amount of money for me to pay every month for a cell phone that I'm not gonna use all that often. Plus, I may be wrong. I punched in my zip code at school and the sprint web site said it was only partial coverage. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion but I'm going with Verizon.

30. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint does have a type of pre-paid service they sell it at Super Wal-Mart's but from what I have seen there rates are higher then Verizon's and Verizon has a larger network too. Stick with FREEUP from Verizon Wireless.