Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need new phone, Edge screwing me over

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by jschnyderite, May 9, 2014.

1. jschnyderite

jschnyderite New Member

I got my phone in sept/oct 2012. Edge didn't exist then, and if im correct, you could upgrade after 20 months on a 2 yr contract.

Fast forward to now - 19+ months later my camera on my phone stops working. I wouldn't care so much, but i leave for my honeymoon in a week and have my first vegas trip this august (and would like to not have to lug around a huge camera).

Anywho, I brought my phone to apple and verizon..both think its a hardware issue. Verizon offered me the edge program -- give them my phone which is probably still worth $100 bucks, and in exchange they will let me rent a phone.

I haven't read any fine print, but do you think I'd have any luck throwing a fit that they changed my upgrade policy after I bought my phone and signed the contract? Any other ways to get around this pickle im in?

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The upgrade change sucked... If your upgrade was before September 2013 (IIRC), you were allowed to upgrade 20 months in, otherwise, you have to wait until the end of the contract. I was also stuck like that. I ended up paying retail for my phone since I didn't want my plan to change.

Depending on your plan and upgrade patterns, trading your phone in and doing EDGE may be worth it. You will have to decide whether it is important.

What is Apple's replacement option ? I'm sure you'll pay a replacement fee... But on the other hand, you'll have to stick with whatever model phone you're using.

Pitching a fit won't work.

There is always eBay or Swappa. Or full retail.

Just crunch the numbers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jschnyderite

jschnyderite New Member

I bought way before Sept 2013. I'm very close to the 20 month mark...but my upgrade status say Oct 2014. I think it moved my ugrade to the 24 month mark..

I upgrade every 2 years normally. The biggest thing about edge, is they require me to trade in my phone (which is still probably worth 150 bucks) for nothing...if i got on a new contract, i could sell my old phone and it would basically pay for my new one.

Apple said they would give me a refurb for $260, but with a new iphone coming out in 4 months, i don't want to be stuck with that.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The upgrade change occurred back in April 2013. Folks whose contracts ended on January 2014 or later were affected. I took a discounted phone on 2/29/12 and the contract end date is 3/1/14. I was one who was affected by this change.

Looks like you may be in a pickle. Another option that I noticed is that you can buy a refurbished phone from Verizon, but that will require $$$ that you aren't willing to spend.

Another option is to get on the 12 month finance plan. It is like EDGE, but it has some key differences.
    1. You will be on a 12 month payment with a $2/month finance charge (vs EDGE 24 month schedule and no extra charges)
    2. You can keep your old phone. No need to surrender it.
    3. You will have to pay the first month payment plus sales tax.

You have to visit a corporate store and INSIST on the plan. The reps are EDGE minded drones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You only trade in the old device if you're upgrading early, before the old device is paid in full.

1 person likes this.