Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need Help with Special Circumstance

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Oct 31, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi all,

For those that have been regular posters here, you pretty well already know of my dilema. My company discontinued our business cellphone and my wife carries our personal cell all the time. Hence I am without service right now.

I was willing to wait for the release of LG's TM520, but now it seems to be getting pushed out farther and farther. November shows no tangible promise even though that is what LG claims (and we all know how dependable their "word" is). Recently however, a family member has become seriously ill and my wife has been constantly out of town for days taking care of the loved one. (Hospital trips, doctor visits, kemo treatments, etc.)

I could really use a phone right now, but again I want to wait for the TM520 release. Does anyone here know someone that knows someone ("ya, I know the boy friend of my half sister from my dad's 3rd marriage....works for Verizon") inside Verizon that would be willing to work out an agreement where I would start service immediately, but use a loaner phone until the TM520 is finally released?

If you can help, respond to my email (yoda2u@ureach.com)

Kevin

2. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Never mind. I found a solution.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

What was your solution kevin.

I was interested in the same phone that you are talking about.

Infact maybe you could help me. I have an alltel unlimited plan for
    my personal phone and need to get a small regional plan for work.
    I have sprint for work (no contract and certin areas there are no service
    where i need it)-Small towns

I am deciding between at&t (thought about at&t through mci but have
    found out that to be a bad idea) or verizon. and wondering which would
    be the best at&T or verizon around the ohio area.

Thanks

Jack

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello Jack,

As noted on my website (Click Here and see the Wireless Phones link) I have been an ATT cutomer here in Calif for many years. My "solution" was to stop waiting for the TM520. I became discouraged when I noted that CNet did not even mention the phone as being released in November. I spoke to 877-2-JOIN-IN, I wrote to the Verizon's on-line customer service people and spoke to two company-owned stores. Not one of them has even heard of the TM520. In fact, in the two stores, I had to bring up LG's website just to prove to them and show them what they were going to be getting sometime down the road.

As mentioned in the start of this thread, I was beginning to feel selfish for not being available just because I wanted a certain phone. My wife has been very concerned about reaching me. So I decided to be satisfied with having cellular service without the bells and whistles.

As to your question, I don't know Ohio's leading wireless provider(s). On a national scope, both ATT and Verizon are considered tops. ATT just announced recently that one of it's weakest markets (NY) has just undergone some major improvements. Verizon just announced a purchase that they claim will improve service for it's customers. (See my post under Wireless News about it's Dobson purchase.)

As for Sprint, I won't repeat myself. My website makes my feelings about them clear.

As a suggestion in your search, go to the websites of each (or to the local stores if you prefer) and take a look at the "local" coverage for each. In my experience, the local map is the one that is closest to showing the actual coverage areas, whereas the regional and national "maps" are nothing more than whole states that they spilled paint on to indicate coverage. For example, in the West Regional plan for Verizon, they just show the entirety of the 12 states colored in. However, a close examination of the state of CA shows that the coast and major sections of mountain regions are NOT covered. (Really, none of "customer-facing" maps give real and reliable indication of coverage. All the wireless firms fall back on: "We cannot provide precise info because we are constantly improving, enhancing and growing our network.")

-Kev

5. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Kevin,

You forgot

"These maps are not a gurantee of service availability, and actual coverage and reliability may be affected by local conditions such as weather, terrain, customer equipment, system capacity limitations or system modifications. Actual coverage may vary...."

Gotta read the FINE print....

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Ya, what's up with that anyway? The customer pays through the nose to start service and all they are promised is that they WILL be billed (and sometimes, not even accurately).

I really don't like that disclaimer because it allows the carriers to scapegoat anything including the weather. Do you know how long I'd last on my job if I blamed the weather for not performing my duties? (NEWSFLASH: A humungous sun spot caused a major outage of all communications today. All carriers unanimously touted: "Its not our fault if a sun spots disrupt service. No credits will be issued.") Well, I got news for your providers: Its not the customer's fault either. If I don't show up to work because its 110 outside (or its snowing outside), guess what -- no worky no pay.

Sorry, I don't know what got into me. Someone hit my pressure release valve. Must be Friday. (I'll blame it on the day-of-the-week. It's Fridays fault.)

Kevin

7. sealmiranda

sealmiranda New Member

HI KEVIN CAN YOU GIVE ME THE LGs WEBSITE thnks

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  9. sealmiranda

sealmiranda New Member

thank you kevin

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I think you may be thinking of the LG TP5200. Unfortunately it is put out by Sprint, which is probably of no interest!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

No I don't think he is I saw the phone on the website that he was talking about and it operates at CDMA 1,900/800 and analog it looks like. I think Sprint PCS just sells Digital PCS/Analog Phone's this is a Tri-Mode phone Sprint PCS only sells Dual-Mode or Single Band phone's. Verizon sells Tri-Mode, Dual-Mode, and analog only phones I believe.

12. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    To the above two posters.

I am indeed referring to the LG TM520 and NOT the TP5200. The TM520 is an upgrade to the TM510 and will be sold by Verizon. Verizon and LG both acknowledge this on their respective websites in reference to the testing of Verizon's 3G network.

But I do understand the confusion. I've had this question asked of me before.