Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help with low speed data connection

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Goldenboy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

I am new to Alltel. Phone is a V3c razr.

I need to make a slow speed data connection QNC 14K.

I have set up a dial up connection with WinXP using the following. Phone number - #777, User Name - MyPhoneNumber@alltel.net and password - alltel. I used a usb cable and it connected but not at low speed.

What am I doing wrong here? I don't need or want a data plan. Just want to be able to check mail on my computer at my lake home a couple times a month.

I can't seem to get any info out of the techs at Alltel, they just want to sell a data plan.

Thank You

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You may just have a free month of the data plan, which I believe you have to cancel after the month is up. The reps in the store like to put these and the pic/vid messaging packs on during the first month for free. As long as you clarify to the Alltel people that you do not want the special data package and if it is on your account to take it off.....and you still get the high speed....just check your bill. If you are being billed for it then keep at them, but if you are getting it free at the higher speed, just don't bother and enjoy the free high speed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    For a low speed connection you use qnc as the user name and qnc as the password. The combination you were using attempts to connect to the high speed network. I do this frequently when away from home for the same reason you want to use it.

4. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

Hmmm that didn't work for me, I still get high speed. Here's what I did.

Phone number - #777, User Name - qnc and password - qnc. I used a usb cable and it connected but not at low speed.

5. binarypower

binarypower New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, Sprint
    Why would you want a low speed connection?

With the Razr, the firmware will not allow this, plus it uses your minutes. You can get an unlimited picture, web, data plan for $19.99, that's worth it depending on where you live (if you get EVDO coverage). Since Alltel does not force you into a contract for making changes to your plan, you can get it for just a week (or a month free). It's worth it IMO. 14.4 is like trying to swim through cement.

6. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Did it actually connect using qnc? I assume so from your answer but I want to make sure I am reading you correctly. Another thing to check is whether you have Enhanced Message Delivery on your account. If so you will be able to connect at high speed using your minutes instead of having a data plan. You can check that out from My Account by looking at the list underneath the heading "My Current Features." You will have Enhanced Message Delivery if you have a messaging pack. They put it on so pictures will transmit at a reasonable speed. As long as you are only getting charged minutes don't worry about it. You can monitor This Months Usage for a few days and you will know for sure. Keep us posted. I will monitor this thread to help you sort this out.

7. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

Yes I was able to get a connection, but it wasn't 14K. If I remember correctly it was around 190K. I thought 1X was around 144K peak so maybe ev-do?

Yes I do have Enhanced message delivery included with my plan. I also have Pay Per Use Axcess Message Pack and something called Greater Freedom Unlimited OP

I sure hope your right about getting charged only minutes :D Thanks for the help. I will see what comes up on my statement.

8. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If you have the enhanced messaging it will allow you to get on the 1x/evdo network it just will use your minutes just like qnc. if you use it after 9 then you would have free access to it. this enhanced code is only allowed on certain phones like the razr, lg camera phones etc. it is banned on the treo, pocket pc and blackberry. hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. binarypower

binarypower New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, Sprint
    1x can connect at 190k. Though it's not your actual d/l speed. The lowest average EVDO speed I have ever seen is 300k.

I work at Alltel in the Data Support department. The official way to connect is to pay; so I can't condone otherwise (as we are a company who is in business to make money). I think they plan on overhauling the feature/rate plans very soon.