Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help/opinions with new cell phone and plan

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by CrowFan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

Short version:

• I’m looking at Verizon, Cingular, and T-mobile for a new cell phone plan. I’m concerned about coverage. T-mobile offers the most for the money but I’m afraid their coverage stinks compared to the other two.
    • Do I need to have a data plan in order to check sports scores/movie times a few times a month, or can I pay per-use?

Long version:

My 2-year family plan contract with Verizon is almost up. The plan I’m on now is for $80 a month for two phone, with 800 shared minutes, free nights and weekends, and free in-network calling. We use every minute in our plan.

I am looking for opinions on what to do now. My wife and I both want new phones. Coverage is the most important thing to me. We live in southeastern Nassau. I work in Melville and she works in Garden City.

If we stay with Verizon, we’d probably sign up for the plan which gives you two lines for $70 a month, 700 minutes, free night and weekends, and free in-network calling. That’s a $10/month drop in price, but we also lose 100 minutes which we can’t afford to lose. The next plan up is $90/month for 1400 minutes. I think that’s overkill, but it’s an option. I would also get $100 off a new phone for me with the new-every-two promotion, but hers would not get the same discount (it only applies to the primary phone on the account).

I was also looking at Cingular. I'm kinda shocked at that, because I thought Cingular would be cheaper than VZWS. They have the same two plans. The plus with Cingular is that I get rollover minutes. The minus us that I wouldn’t get the $100 off the phone.

And then there’s T-mobile. For $70/month, we would get 1000 minutes shared, free nights and weekends, and free mobile-to-mobile. It’s clearly more for your money. But I’m concerned that their coverage/service won’t be as good as the other 2. What good are minutes if you can’t use them? Anyone on LI/in NY use T-mobile? How is it?

My wife initially wanted a Blackberry/Treo type phone. I’d love one too, but I think they’re just too expensive. I was looking at the RAZR or LG’s “The V” on Verizon.

And then there’s data. What I’d like to be able to do is have the ability to check movie times and sports scores using my mobile phone. That’s about it – I don’t need heavy data usage. Verizon charges a TON for their data plans. But do I need a data plan to be able to do what I want? Can I just sign on a couple of times a month and use the internet features and pay per-use rather than slap down money for a plan?

I’m really not sure how to proceed. Thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Have you checked the coverage maps at T-Mobile's site? They are the most accurate of any carrier that puts maps on their website. http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage

For T-Mobile, you will need the $5.99 t-zones in order to do what you want from your phone with scores, etc. if you want to access them via the web at any time. Or you can pay $4.99 for the 400 message plan and get scores "pushed" to you at the end of the half, game, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

I did not see that before. It's a nice site. Unfortunately, both my home and my work are both one step above "No Service." :(

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If that's the case T-Mobile is probably not for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Use their 30 day trial period.