Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help/opinions of Nokia phones please

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by kjo, Jun 20, 2005.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hey all

I'm thinking I'll get a Nokia candy bar style phone for t-mobile prepaid. I've been looking on ebay...
    the ones that I'm looking at are the Nokia 6600 series, Nokia 3620,3650,3660 series...the 3100 series, 3220, etc.
    Can anyone tell me what are the best models to keep my eyes open for??? I like the idea of the extra memory card on the 3650 style... but was wondering if it could handle hi fi ringers that t-mobile has to offer. real music clips, etc. midi

Anyway if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
    thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Your best bet is to look at a Series 60 handset. Look at all the specs here:

http://www.symbian.com/phones/
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fi...car=1&ca_5=y&avr=1&av_2=y&av_3=y&plr=r&pl_1=y

These phones can handle mp3 and polyphonic ringtones. Midi files should be also no problem as well. All S60 phones take MMC cards which come in the following MB increments: 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1 GB. For playing music, consider getting a Series 60 handset which supports stereo sound since mono quality leaves a lot to be desired.

As for playing movie and music clips, you can look at apps such as:

Smartmovie: http://www.lonelycatgames.com/index.php?note=smartmovie&chapter=smartmovie

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/

MP3Go for 6600/6620/7610: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=60&faq=4

MP3Gravity: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=771&faq=4

Ultra MP3: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=746&faq=4

MP3Player: http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=316&faq=4

MP3Go V2.02:
    http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=60&faq=4

Free Symbian apps thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=474312
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=347611

http://series60.howardforums.com

Hope this helps :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    First of all I have to admit that my opinion is completely biased, but if you can get an unlocked 6230b at a good price it will meet all your requirements and more. In the 7 months that I have owned one I never had a reason to be unhappy. It also has fantastic reception.

Here are the details fron phonescoop: 6230b

Ps:I only use a 128 MB MMC must some people gone as high as 2 GB.

HTH

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Your best bet for the type of phone you are looking for (like ShoresGuy mentioned) is the s60 series from Nokia. The two that I found & should work are the 6620 and the upcomming 6681/6682. ShoresGuy should have a few European Nokias that would work on T-Mobile that we don't see over here. :)

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the opinions so far.
    I'm thinking of the Nokia 6600 phone and I'm also looking at the the Nokia 3650, 3660 series 3600.
    If I could find a 6230b cheap enough on ebay I'd try that one. there is also the 3220.

My question is on unlocked phones... if I get a cingular phone that has been unlocked I read that tzones and the internet part might not work. I want to make sure tzones is operational because you can look at your account balance through that and it's free and everything with prepaid.
    So is this true about unlocked phones and using on another network????

So if between a 3650/3660 t-mobile branded and a 6600 t-mobile branded... which is going to be a better phone all around... for battery, reception etc.
    thanks again and sorry for all the questions...like I said this sim card business and all is new to me...
    I appreciate all help and opinions really... :)

6. adgsteve

adgsteve Tower Hunting Addict

My Phone:
    Nokia 6350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT

As for unlocked phones, the only ones I'm aware of that would have a problem with internet and MMS settings are T-mobile to go(prepaid) phones where those settings are hard locked. I haven't heard of any such problems with any other unlocked phones. It's just a matter of getting the proper settings and entering them into the phone. Of course, if you get a T-mobile branded phone then you're all set, whether locked or unlocked. All of the Nokia's you mentioned should perform about the same, they all have great rf (for reception) and battery life should be about the same. It's mostly a matter of features/price/personal taste, but I would lean towards the S60 phones. ;)

7. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi

Does anyone know if a Nokia 3220 is a Series 60 (Symbian) ???

8. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    How about any other phones? like a Panasonic GU87/GD88/GD87 GSM World Cell Phone unlocked or a samsung 715 phone.

I've heard that Nokia's get the best reception on t-mobile...but my friend has a samsung c225 and get fairly decent reception.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi there,

No the 3220 is not a series 60 phone., but the 6600 series is.

10. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Okay thanks. I didn't think so but that's okay. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 3650, a 3660, or a 6600. they are a little bigger...but compared to what I'm used to with the Lg anyway being bigger and the case/antenna sticking up it's around the same size anyway.

I think the 6230 is cute as well as the 3220 but I like the extra memory card feature that comes with the 3 I mentioned above. also I think I'll stick with phones that were originally made for t-mobile as I don't want to have any problems with tzones and such since I use that for checking account balance and ringers,etc.

So now it's just finding one that I like the deal and the price. Just can't decide between the two 3650/3660 or a 6600. No one in this forum probably uses these phones. I've read reviews at phonescoop...but was looking here in the forum amongst all the people I recognize :) :browani:

11. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
  12. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Kjo, your a little misinformed. The 6230 comes with the extra memory card, 16Mb, up to 1 Gb or more. It also has an FM stereo radio and plays mp3 files.

However, I know that you are worried about tmobile compatibility, but I doubt that is really a problem. Also, the RF on the 6230 is probably the best that I ever had and one of the best Nokia's ever. The 6230 is considered a 'professional' grade by nokia...not one of their fun phones, but it packs just about every feature that nokia ever offered.

my two cents

13. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    you are correct on both points. I had the 3650, 6600 & 6620 with T-Mo & Cingular. The setting are easy to put in I had no problems once I got the correct settings in.

kjo, The 6600, 3650, 3660 all have mono outputs. The only s60 phone out right now with stereo output is the 6620. So if you really want a Multimedia phone the 6620 is the way to go. It has a faster processor & better screen too. :)

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    viewfly, you are my hero..... :notworthy

15. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Okay thanks for all the info.

I'll tell you what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if I need the "stereo" sound. mono would probably be okay.

I'm wanting a phone that takes okay pictures just for using for the caller id and occasional other picture that I can email to myself. I like the idea of the extra memory card as I can take out and put into my hp all in one printer that has the slots for those cards

The video thing is fun...but not a big deal.

As far as the ringtones. I just want it to play actual music clips (which I believe is called the hi-fi ringers) My gal friend has a samsung c225 phone and hers sound fine. I'm sure that phone isn't a stereo capable either. in fact i love that phone..but i've heard there are lots of other little problems with it. Basically I'm wanting it to have unique ringer id's.

I'm not sure if my Lg7000 is stereo or not...but even i have a few ringers that aren't perfect sounding.

As far as reception...I've heard the Nokias work really good with T-mobile. I already own 2 OEM Nokia car chargers and I have some other Nokia accessories which is why I'm looking at the nokia 3650 3660 and 6600 series phones.. size wise they are different...but it can't be that bad. The other one is the Nokia 3220 phone. smaller...lots of other stuff...hi fi ringers? extra memory card?
    The 6230 phone is awesome but more and likely out of my price range. I'm looking for a phone around 50-75. it is prepaid after all.

On a lighter note the sunrocket phones are great... really cool and it works great...I would recommend it.

Okay so that's what I'm looking for in a phone. The 3650 had really good reviews about the reception etc... so I like the 6600 too... it's just down to price wise and size factor.... like the 3220 .
    Anyone out there use a Nokia 3220? Do you like it?
    and viewfly and budney...thanks for the info. Question did you like the Nokia 3650 when you had it? or did you prefer the 6600/6620 size the best?

16. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi
    Also I heard something about phones being "hard locked"

so even if they are unlocked phones...this means that I could use it correct?
    thanks

17. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Gladly accepted and two cents of donations..........

18. adgsteve

adgsteve Tower Hunting Addict

My Phone:
    Nokia 6350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    I mentioned hard locked(it's not the technical term) but that only applies to the T-mobile phones I mentioned(specifically the 6010 prepaid phone) and only the Internet and MMS settings. Any other Nokia from any provider should have no problems at all.
    BTW- Nokia's are the easiest phones to unlock... free and easy.

19. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I haven't used the 3220, so I have no idea how it is. But you really can't go wrong with Nokia for GSM.

I liked the 3650, but the thickness and shape of the phone got to me after a while. The phone is rather chunky, and I kept bumping into things with it. Between the phone and the case (Body Glove) it stuck out really far. Also I could never really get used to the weird key pad. I would spend the extra money and get the 6600. It fits much better in your palm, normal keys, better screen, more processing power. But if you don't find one for a good price then the 3660 would be good (normal key pad). :)

20. Steamer43

Steamer43 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6101
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just to let you know, we (my Wife & I) have a Nokia 3650 & Nokia 6600. They are very good Cell Phones worth trying either one would be good. My Wife says the next Cell Phone should would like to Upgrade to is a Flip Phone with MP3. I am starting to like the Nokia N90 & I saw a Nokia 6260 the other day which looked sharp.

21. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    Ive used the 6620, 6600, 3650, 6230b among many others. The Nokias are the best rf phones out there for GSM. I have unlocked all of them and used them on ATT/Cingular and TMo. The biggest difference is the 6230 uses Nokia's traditional menu system while the others are Symbian series 60. It is a matter of which you are most comfortable using. Personally I always find myself going back to a regular Nokia. Ive used Samsung, Moto Razr, Palm Treo 650 but I keep finding myself going back to the 6230 as my primary phone. There is really nothing missing from the 6230. I am looking for 6230i with 850 so I could get a better camera.

22. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I currently use the Nokia 6015i as a 'home' phone. It's a CDMA handset but I love it. It's your basic, everyday cell phone with exceptional RF and an outstanding speakerphone. The menu is easy to navigate once you get used to it (I'm a self-proclaimed Motophile so it took a little getting used to.) To be perfectly honest, Nokia makes very good cell phones.

23. Ive not had any of the newer nokias, but I've had nokias basically the whole time that I've had a cell phone- Until I upgraded to the VX 4400, and then the 6100. I think the nokia phone I've delt with are very strong and durable basic phones, that get good RF... and as far as i'm concerned you can't go wrong with a nokia.

((is there an echo in here... or do alot of people like nokia?? :p ))

24. Chinasaur

Chinasaur Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I started out with Samsungs on Sprint but have grown to love Nokia's on both CDMA and GSM. Nokia's have no protruding antennae (usually), are very powerful on Rx/Tx, very stable and supported everywhere with accessories and cases.

If I hadn't been spoiled on Keyboards with my SidekickII, I would agree with charylee about the 6230..and everyone on most cell boards who have one agree as well. The 6230 rocks. It's got freaking everything you could probably want - http://gsmphoneplanet.com/nokia6230I.htm

I prefer the 6260, 7260, 7610, but am working up the courage to buy a 9300 - http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,60764,00.html

Luck.