Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help on serive!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Vincdiesel, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Vincdiesel

Vincdiesel New Member

Hello, I'm currently using At&t in the NYC area and my contract is about to expire (Sept). Now I'm hearing that Att is coming out with GSM and I'm not sure about it bc of my past experienc on Voicestream. I signed up wiht Voicestream when it first came out and it was a nightmare!!! Now since it's been out for a couple of yrs already and I heard alittle more pro's than con's about VoiceStream. Is it really getting better? Should I open service for Voicestream again?

Will At&t and Cigular be the same as Voicestream was or is still/?? And also heard Att GSM is going to cost more, why?? thanks for your help in advance!

Vincent

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wouldn't sign up for AT&T GSM right now when it comes out as there rate plans are expensive on there GSM network and the coverage areas right now are small.

Cingular and VoiceStream are both GSM in NYC but both are on the same towers as they are sharing a network so you should get the same coverage from both right now. I've always heard Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless are the best in NYC you might want to consider them instead.

3. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

I typically do not like comments like this... but I make a exception for this one as I trust the guy I am referring to:

I have a friend in NYC and he switched from ATT to VS and he absolutely loves it. In other words... he is a real voicestream-believer :)

C.

4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Voicestream is great for most of the tri-state area. There are some towns where service may be bellow par.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a VS believer too - having switched more than half of my companies 250 lines to them. The domestic GSM coverage is fine in most US cities, and their overseas roaming and dialing is excellent if that's any use to you - and generally 25% cheaper across the board than ATTWS

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Vincent, if you want to keep AT&T you may still stay with their TDMA network even after your contract expires. You will just go month by month. I don't think they will force you to switch to GSM whenever it comes. Now, about GSM, there's nothing wrong with it when compared to other technologies. In fact, it is better than TDMA. However, the concern here is that since it will be new coverage, the quality of that coverage in the beginning will not be as great as an older, well stablished network.

About Voicestream, I never heard any major complaints about it and I believe they are really good in this area. I've only read a post in this forum someone quoting a Reuters article about a Thomas Lee, wireless analyst for J.P. Morgan, who said that Voicestream is known to have the worst coverage in NYC. However, if he said that, I only believe this guy was paid for it.

I don't think AT&T will share the system with Voicestream. They will build their own GSM network. Cingular is using Voicestream's network in the NYC area right now. When AT&T launches GSM, they won't shut down TDMA so you will still be able to use your existing phone and service for a long time. They will run both networks until they get every customer moved over to the new network. When they launch GSM here, what they'll do is stop selling TDMA phones and start selling GSM phones only and maybe some phones that will work on both networks. Then, they'll just sit and wait until their customer base switches itself to GSM. They will have to come up with new plans and advertise new offerings to encourage people to make the switch. However, they won't force anyone to switch while in the meantime both TDMA and GSM will be operating at the same time. This is a slow and time consuming process so you have nothing to worry about for now.

About price, I believe AT&T GSM will be cheaper because they want to attract new customers, but with AT&T you never know.
    Finally, you can stay where you are if you are satisfied and no one will bother you with the GSM switch at least for the next few years.

If you do want to make the switch to GSM, then your choices are Voicestream and Cingular. They both share the same towers so coverage quality is the same with either one. Right now, Cingular has better plans than Voicestream in this area. However, Voicestream is getting ready to strike back when they change their name to T-Mobile as they will launch new plans. I think by September Voicestream should have switched names to T-Mobile so you may wanna stick around and wait to see what their new offers will be.

Also, don't forget that Sprint and Verizon are known to have the best coverage in NYC. Although not the best rate plans.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Vincdiesel

Vincdiesel New Member

Hey all,
    I just want to thank you all for your replies. I guess I'll stick to att for while til VS change it name. Then HOPEFULLY it will have nights and weeekends minutes instead of only weekends.

Thanks again,
    Vincent