Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need Help In New Service Wanting Nextel

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by wbandyjr74, Aug 9, 2003.

1. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    Here is the deal i have cingular right now with no contract (expired)..I see more and more people with nextel now and that walkie talkie feature is very intresting..Last night i ordered 2 phones for me and my wife..I got the I88s and the I60C both with the Local get right through 50...I live in Webster Ma right on the Conn boarder..It looks as tho Conn would be roaming or long distance..Can someone help me out and let me know if i am doing right..I would hate to get into another 1 year contract and regret it...Also is there any motorola rebates or anything i could get? I bought the phones from nextel and got the $25.00 off each phone for ordering 2 of them...Any help or comments would be appreciated!

2. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    I forgot to mention that when i called cingular to cancel and told them why. They said to be patient and wait that they will have the service in a few months..She said it a couple times..What to do?

3. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Phones from Amazon.com

As far as Nextel Direct Connect, would only be usefull if you know other ppl who have Nextel.

Once you have their service, they will never give you a deal on your next phone, no matter how long you have it. The next one will always be full retail.

You may be better holding off for a few more months. I think some of the providers (like VZW) will be rolling out a comparable PTT - Push to talk.

4. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i would personally wait for verizon myself the quality of the PTT will be alot better from what i hear

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kargiver

kargiver Member

I too have nextel service and live in the central mass area (Millbury). My work has me all over the area in the blackstone valley (Milford west to Webster along Rt 16, and all around 146 from RI up to Worcester) and I must say, the coverage is sometimes lacking. I get a lot of dropped calls or sometimes no signal at all (happens a fair amount on Rt 146) and when traveling the backroads of Sutton, you can forget about making a call. I work for an ambulance service so indeed, the direct connect is nice (most of us EMTs and medics use nextel) but the people that use verizon or ATT seem to have very few, if any, problems. Based on what they have all said, Verizon is certainly the best provider in the area.

As for calling CT, yes, it's long distance. But most plans on Nextel give free long distance anyway. Make sure you get one of these plans.

Hope this helps,
    Greg

6. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    Can we make calls from conn ? On the map it is shaded a diffrent color. Thanx for the input..Verizon basicly said they are working on bettering there system but can't give any specific dates..My cingular stinks on those back roads of sutton and Rt16 areas in douglas.

7. kargiver

kargiver Member

If I understand it correctly, you should have no problems making calls from CT if you have the free long distance plan. If you don't, you'll be charged for long distance everytime you call from there. As for the direct connect, it won't work unless you have national direct connect. Direct connect only works in your region (CT is not part of the MA region service area) unless, like I stated, you have national direct connect.

Just switched over to verizon and dumped the nextel. It was worth every penny of the 200.00 termination fee.

Greg

8. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    I will agree when i had verizon it was sweet..Then i got Cingular and that just suked. Now i have nextel the phones came in yesterday. I called them and was telling them i was going to send the phones back because i saw a authorized dealer giving 2 phones free..I paid like $180 to nextel for my phones (I60 & I88) I told him it would be cheaper for me to go through them.. Anyways he changed my #'s so that they would be a local call..If i call from my home phone it still cost's me 0.04 a minute because it is not a exchange code that i can call for free.,Before it was like a out of state call..I ended up with the Nextel National Shared 200 on both phones..He also added 100 bonus minutes to each account and gave me free nights and weekends on both phones.. How did i make out?

I need to mention that at my sisters house Cingular & Verizon don't work and my Nextel did!

9. kargiver

kargiver Member

I know what you mean. I got my verizon phone and wow, the coverage was sweet! Brought it to work, updated my profile, I was lovin cellular life. Then I got home with the phone (vx4400) and poof! No coverage!!! Wow rhat makes me MAD!!!!! I think I am going to have to stick it out with NEXTEL. I do get coverage at my house with them...

I can only comment on the deal you got based on what you are paying per month. As for me, I got the 59.99 400 minute with free incoming + free nights and long distance. As far as a plan goes, I am pleased with it. I'd just love to see a few more towers in the blackstone valley area.

Greg

10. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    A few more towers would make it a great service here in our area..I love the ptt function and that works most of the time..I noticed i can make calls now where my cingular service didn't..Like at plummers corner in Northbridge for example., However people tell me it sounds like i am talking away from the phone and that was when i was downtown Milford.,Can we make phone calls outside our calling area and if so how much does it cost? Like if we went to Ny say.