Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

need help identifying carrier by antennas

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Hatchetman41527, Mar 27, 2008.

?

Do you know who's antennas these are?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2008.
  1. Alltel

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Sprint

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Nextel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. T- Mobile

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. AT&T

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hatchetman41527

Hatchetman41527 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    Like the title says,

I need to attempt to identify the carrier via the antenna type/configuration. This is a new buildout on a local broadcast tower in our area. There is no readily available information from the locals, nor the radio station. Everyone has clammed up.

Anyway, the picture may be a little blurry or off somewhat due to the magnification, as this was taken at about 1/2 mile from site.

I also have not noticed any new home sprint service as of yet, nor any new nextel service in the area. There is a small T- Mobile GSM site on the same hill, but is on a 70 foot pole. This is about half way up a 450' tower at the top of the mountain.

Adjacent to the structure on a mountain across the river from it is a large free standing structure owned by Appalachian Wireless.

Attached Files:

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Just looking at this I would say tmobile but that is my guess.

3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It reaks of a CDMA carrier such as Alltel or Sprint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    Kinda what I thought.

Looks like a rural Sprint location. ya know.... One that doesn't handle a lot of traffic.

5. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    T- Mobile has a small GSM site on the same hill, but on a different structure. Very small footprint. Maybe half a mile at most.

6. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    From just the antenna picture there really is no way to tell the difference between the two carrier,s Sprint or Alltel. Sometimes Alltel is using antennas that only come in 800mhz, but quite often the radomes of 800 and 1900 antennas are very similar and almost impossible to distinguish from a distant shot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MasterC

MasterC Junior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am taking a guess and saying Alltel, they seem to be the company expanding alot these days. But, what do I know?

8. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    i am thinking sprint. my first guess was goin to be t-mobile, but after you stating that there is a t-mobile tower not to far away from the pictured tower. i would think spring. if you can get to the base of the tower and look on the shelter, or power pedastal, only official way of getting an accurate answer.

9. KA3SGM

KA3SGM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (M919)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile(Omnipoint) 1997-, AT&T 2011-
    They look like DAPA Communications 1900MHz panels, which I typically see used by Sprint.

AT&T and Verizon usually use 3 or 4 antennas per sector, and T-Mobile is typical to include TTA's (Tower Top Pre-Amps) which are about the size of a Brick, which you would also be able to see.

Not having other carriers here like Cricket or Alltel, I am not sure what to look for in that case....

I am thinking Sprint, is there any possibility of getting a look at the equipment on the ground???

10. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    I no longer have access to this tower anymore. Back when I was in the radio repair biz, I knew the engineer for this station, but they were bought out by a large broadcasting firm from
    Kentucky.

This tower is a combo FM/AM stick. It is 450' and the panels are 1/2 way up.

I have contacted every carrier that I could think of, and no one is owning up to it. The broadcast station will not tell who it is either. As of today, there is no home Sprint or Alltel signal coming from the area. Just SID 1290. Appalachian Wireless. Which has a monster tower across the river.

11. KA3SGM

KA3SGM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (M919)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile(Omnipoint) 1997-, AT&T 2011-
    Can you get any closer to the tower to possibly get a few photos of the ground equipment??

That would likely have someone here be able to nail down exactly who's panel sector antennas that they actually are.

Unfortunately, I have found myself ignoring No Trespass Signs, being armed with only a camera, and causing no harm whatsoever to the site.

I only do so when the Municipality has a Conditional Use Decision pending, and the site is well marked with Public notices of the additions and changes proposed to the site.

As a taxpayer, I should be able to check out the site where the changes are proposed, and offer any objections at the next Township Supervisors meeting.

12. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Unfortunately the law and land owner will not agree with you. You're more than welcome to present your objections or concerns at the meeting, but a CUP does not imply or grant any right to pass on private property.

13. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    To me those look like GSM antenna panels,
    They look like the same design and style (setup) that most AT&T & SunCom sites use over here in SC.
    but AT&T, thats just my guess.