Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help, Graghics card no worky!

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by Buickman, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    OK, here's the deal. My computer is a POS, Almost 7 years old, not enough power. My biggest problem is trying the play video files (podcasts). I can download ones formated for the Ipod and it will handle it (sad), but full sized files are out of the question. So I had the bright idea of installing a graphips card to unload some of the displaying duties from the CPU and hopefully make this thing work better. I installed the card and loaded all the drivers, the display works and all, but the card doesn't seem to be doing any processing. I ran some files before and after the install and the CPU usage is the same. Is there something I'm missing here? Incase we have any computer gurus here these are the details of the system.

HP Pavilian model 8755C
    800 MHz P3 with 384 MB of RAM
    Windows XP
    Installed NVIDIA GeFORCE MX 4000 graphics card

Any ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sorry I dont know your answer but what type of internet connection do you have??

3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Did you uninstall all your old video card drivers and software?

If the video card is intergrated in the motherboard, did you disable it through the BIOS?

How many watts is your power supply?

Better video cards require a lot more power then ones that are inluded in systems from manufacturers, or are intergrated into the motherboards. Also if you leave your old divers in your system it can cause conflicts with the new card & drivers. Also your processor will work the same regaurdless of the video card. All a better video card dose is render a better picture and do it faster & smoother. I would also get more memory if you can. I would recommed that more then a new card for improved Podcasts.

4. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I was just using the motherboard video. I turned that off in the hardware manager. 185 watt power supply, but this is a pretty low end card, not much power consumption. I thoought the whole point of a graphics processor card was to do the displaying work along with the CPU to make it work better. Faster and smoother is what I'm looking for when displaying the video.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones

3 meg cable. But my problem isn't with streeming video, it's displaying files I already downloaded.

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would make sure you disable the onboard video from the BIOS. Just doing it through the device manager will disable it untill the next time you restart your PC. Even though you only have a MX4000 card it will still use up more power then the onboard graphics, and with only a 185 watt PS it may not be getting enough juice. The Video card & CPU don't really work together to render the video. Think of it as a production line, in which the CPU dose what it need to to get the data ready for the card to handle. Then the card sends it to the monitor. The only thing that would help the CPU with the video is to get more memory So if you can afford it I would recommend getting more memory and most of all a new PS (250-300W). If you have a PS that can't power everything efficently, then you run the risk of frying your whole PC. :(