Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help finding good Wireless Card

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by RJB, Jun 14, 2008.

1. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I just bought a new PC and I was not about to spend what they wanted for a wireless card. Can you all help me find a good deal on an external wireless b/g card for this. If it is an n that is ok as well but dont need it. So a g connection would be just fine.

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ryan,

Here are some wireless desktops cards at Best Buy:

BestBuy.com - Search Results

I would personally look for one that works on either 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz. The 5.0 would give you less interference (unless there will not be a lot of interference in your area home), since 2.4 Ghz is pretty crowded (microwave and wireless landline phones come to mind). The downside is these tend to cost more but have all of the latest wireless networks (A/B/G/N). Sorry I couldn't help more (I have had only one friend use an older Linksys and a Dynex with B/G and he would lose his connection a few times on it). I would look around for the best price and check the ads, and online prices. Can't you connect your modem directly to your PC to avoid having to buy a wireless desktop card? Is it close enough to do this? That would give the best possible connection since it woud be direct and not over the air. Hopefully this helps. Let us know which one you decide on buying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i have a linksys and i love it.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you for helping. No I cant connect right to the computer my office has no cable hook up stupid I know. So my only other option is wireless. But I am going to look at some options to see if I can get something to that room.

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Remember if it doesn't work, you could always return the wireless card and get your money back (if you buy it at Best Buy or Circuit City). Good luck in finding a good solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    802.11g cards are getting real cheap now as pre-N stuff is getting pushed forward. I got a USRobotics router and USB stick (802.11g) for $40 last week.

If you're going to use it with Linux, remember to look at the chipset and see if it's easily supported (usually Netgear uses chipsets supported by most Linux). If you're using it only for Windoze, then it doesn't really matter so much.

Look on ebay, or try this (can't go wrong with Linksys):
    Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster - WUSB54GSC - Buy.com

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Once again thank you to everyone that has helped me with this. I am going to get in the attic and see if I can run the cable to the room.

8. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I know at TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components, & Electronics they have a boat load of air cards and routers. They usually have good prices for them. They have a desktop card on there for around 23 bucks, that's with standard shipping. Just don't go to far with your etherenet if that's what your going to run. The limit I think is something around 90 meters, lol, I know you probably won't go further than that, but thought I might just throw that out there, haha.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you I still have not gotten anything. I am still looking cause my new comp doesnt come here till next week.

10. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Oh ok, what kinda computer is it? I would say just run the cable, that way your not running the risk of losing the connection or having the connection slow down because of the signal isn't strong enough. Either way, good luck with setup.

11. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
  12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It is a Dell.
    No there is just not an option to run a cable at this point. I really wish there was until then I have a wireless router. I have ran wireless for years just wanted to see the options people brought here thanks.