Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need help choosing phone in NE GA

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by heathielauren, May 13, 2008.

1. heathielauren

heathielauren New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung D407
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm upgrading phones and I have AT&T. I've tried to get Customer Service to help me out with a question regarding phone reception and the best phone to choose. The current phone that I have drops calls CONSTANTLY. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have atleast 2 dropped calls, but most days, its more like 5+. I don't surf the web or text, so my main concern is clarity and call quality for a new phone. If someone has some advice for me, I'd really appreciate the input.:)

2. Nextel32708

Nextel32708 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Voice/SMS/Data)
    I know I am not a AT&T subscriber (or at least not anymore). But first off, welcome to WirelessAdvisor!

Okay, I am wondering what type of phone are you currently using? Also where abouts (highways, towns, areas) are you using your phone? Is it dropping while you are on the road, or just sitting at home?

Also, you say in your post that you use your phone only for voice service; therefore not needing a PDA/Smartphone or anything of that nature. Therefore, this will allow us to divulge into the true signal leaders of AT&Ts phone lineup. I have come to notice (when I used to have AT&T) is that the older phones (older models that is) have better reception.

You may want to check on Ebay for a few of the phones that I am about to suggest; as they are no longer available online or in the AT&T store.

Phones that I suggest are: Nokia 3595, Motorola v551, and possibly the Nokia 3200. I have used all these phones extensivly back when I had Cingular... errhumm AT&T. I used a few others, but found these to be the best phones for signal strength and they helped not drop calls. In quality order I would have to say: Motorola v551, Nokia 3595, and the Nokia 3200 - although they are all good, solid phones; and are top in the signal/RF gain too.

And also from personal experience (when I had my 3200 with me) I visited up in Northeastern Georgia. By the way, it is a very BEAUTIFUL area up there - you are very lucky to reside in such a ellegant place. The only ugly thing is the cellular phone service - it may have improved within the last year and a half since I have been there but I am not sure - would love to come back and see!

But I was visiting the parks, and the towns of: Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Ellijay, Jasper, Dahlonega, Clayton, and Toccoa. Ellijay had alright service. In and around Jasper I had great service. Blue Ridge was good as well. Dahlonega was alright; but spotty north of town. Blairsville I only recieved signal in the actual downtown area. As far as I remember Toccoa did have limited service. I am sure you know more about the service area situation, and are more up to date on it - and its looks to have expanded since I last visited (via their coverage viewer online).

I hope that helps. When I went there I used my 3200 and had decent coverage considering we were in the national park almost the whole time. And since coverage has expanded as it has; its probably even better now than it was before. So I would say go to Ebay, and try one of the phones I suggested.

Hope this helps, and like I said welcome to WirelessAdvisor - any other questions me, or any other forum member would be more than happy to assist you! Don't hesitate to ask! You can learn alot here!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    out of new phones, the samsung SLM (aka 747) has good feedback from a friend of mine on reception.

also the Nokia 6126

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Hopefully its just a phone issue as there's only one other provider up in the mountains. I'd try one of the Motorolas or Nokias. Also, look at the 3G phones, although you're are probably not in a 3G area. Some of them perform better than the gprs only phones, at least in my experience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you are looking at older ATT/Cingular phones I would recommend picking up an old Motorola V551. These did well in poor signal areas. I currently have the HTC Tilt from AT&T and that does very well in low signal areas. You may not be looking for a PDA phone, or to spend $300 on a phone either though.

Your best bet with a standard phone right now with AT&T is probably a Nokia, or a Motorola. Stay away from the original V3 though, it does not do well in low signal areas.

-Jay

6. heathielauren

heathielauren New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung D407
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for all of the great info! I wondered about the 3G phones. I read somewhere that even if you're not in a 3G location, those phones still got better signal than other phones. Since I've never used one, and I don't know anyone that has, I wondered if that was a true statement. I have the Samsung D407 currently and my husband is using an LG C1500. He also had the D407, but we both encountered the same problems with our phones dropping calls, then not hanging calls up for up to 5 minutes, and eventually his phone wouldn't accept any SIM card-not even a new one. I really like the features of that phone, but we have a child, and I just can't risk being out somewhere with him and needing my phone in case of an emergency and it not working properly. Since my husband has switched over to the LG, his problems are almost non-existant. The only problem is when his mother is calling him from her cell phone, which is Verizon, to his phone, it dosen't ring on his end, nor does she get sent to voice mail, but she can call me fine. We have the same number with the exception of the last digit, so I don't know what the problem is there. I tried looking at some reviews for other phones at ATT, but mostly teenagers post there and all they do is Text, so I needed more help. If you have any more advice, please pass it along!:)

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LG's quality on their GSM phones varies greatly. Samsung is better. As I said earlier though, for rural areas a Nokia or Motorola are your best choices. Just don't get the standard V3 (The non 3G one) as that does not do as well as other models in rural areas. I had an LG phone once for 26 hours. The call quality was so poor I took it back the next day, and I live in a somewhat urban area.

Stay away from LG's alltogeather. Samsung depends on the model. Nokia is good, and so is Motorola as long as you stay away from the original V3. Also stay away from the "free" phones, or phones that are under $20 with a contract. It takes money to buy a phone that does well in poor signal areas. 90% of the time the free phone just doesn't have what it takes.

-Jay

8. heathielauren

heathielauren New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung D407
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for that info. I am on the ATT site trying to just compare phone features. Do you know anything about the Nokia 6555? I've also considered buying a SYNC-I know thats an older phone, but I like that I can sync it with outlook for my address etc. I'm not a big techie, but I do like the music features on these phones as well. Any music phones that you would recommend, or should I just stick to the phone and use my iPod? I'm just leary about buying a phone off of ebay. I've bought other stuff, but I'm scared when its something like this, I'll get dupped.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have no personal experience with that model, but it appears to be a very nice phone from the specs, and I'm sure Nokia would make it a quality unit. From the user reviews I see on Phonescoop its a nice phone, but there are a lot of users complaining about battery life. Sounds like an overall good phone, just make sure you buy a car charger for it so you can charge it on the go if you have to.

-Jay

10. Nextel32708

Nextel32708 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Voice/SMS/Data)
    I would stick with using a phone/ipod - these phones can't hold that much music - in my experience at least.

I would get a used Motorola v551 from Ebay - less $$, and no contract extension. Just buy it online, and swap SIMs when it gets to you!

11. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    the nokia will hold a 2GB micro SD which is more than enough space for music.

not to mention, it will be a good phone, with a warranty, and modern with 3G and, as noted, music and other new capabilities.

the Moto v551's signal capabilities are good, but were not that good. they were no better than any current nokia, and some other current phones. i have used over 15 phones in the past year on GSM and i can promise that this is fact.

good luck with your new phone! i will say the nokia's and newer samsungs like the 737 and 747(SLM) get good reception. the 707 (SYNC) does NOT get good signal.

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'd have to disagree on that one. A Moto V551 is one of the best RF performers out there. Especially if coupled with an external antenna. The only thing that I have that works better than a V551 is my Moto A845. That thing is a beast, but it has the best RF and speakerphone of any cellphone I've ever used. I've had my V551 work and people with other phones don't even have service.

-Jay

13. AKP

AKP Junior Member

Verizon was so much better than Cingular (now AT&T) when I compared them a few years ago. All those rollover minutes are useless when you don't have coverage. I don't know if AT&T has filled in all the gaps in coverage or not.

14. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    where are you speaking about? that is a fairly broad statement. i could name a few places that ATT works great that Verizon has no coverage at all.

15. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    He did say a few years ago. At about the time of the merger of Cingular/ATTWS, Verizon was king of coverage. Now I think Verizon and AT&T are about equal with tradeoffs in various areas.

16. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yes that is a fair and true statement. i did not want the OP getting the wrong misinformation, whether that was true years ago is irrelevant IMO. thanks for agreeing.

17. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Jay,

I'll have to disagree with you but the Nokia's are king when it comes to GSM. Also in parts of north Georgia the BTS equipment is Siemens and they (Motorla's) don't work well. If your looking for a Nokia try a older 6230 if you can find one. It's what the engineers use for test phones instead of Motorolas so that should help a little.:browani:

18. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I second that, every market is different and the handset perform alittle different on each depending on the cell site equipment.

In my area we use Nortel and we use both 850 and 1900 some site have both in the same cabinet. I have had tons of Nokias (preferred Test Model phones) and quite a few Motos. In my market some LG, Samsungs, and some Motos cant handle the Hyperband handoffs as quickly as the Nokias and will drop the call before the 850 to 1900 hand off or vise versa can occur.

I had a V400 and V555 that I liked and worked very well. Motorolas are generally real reliable phones and they do get great reception plus alot had the option for an external antenna jack.

19. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    to get back on topic, i wouuld definetly suggest trying a new phone if youve been having trouble. ATT is very good in North GA (better than most, one of the top choices) and generally when people have issues, it is related to an out of date phone or one that is weak on signal (which is why these other guys are recommending nokias which have stronger reception generally)

good luck!@

20. ph0nes4u

ph0nes4u New Member