Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NEED GSM ADVICE QUICK

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Kaosinla, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Kaosinla

Kaosinla New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 8890
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Today, I'm buying a nokia 8890. I'm getting mixed views of the GSM service, so i'll be as specific as possible. I live yards from Century City (zip 90035). I work on Wilshire in Beverly Hills (zip 90211). When i travel nationally, i'm in Hawaii, Las Vegas, Miami, or Pittsburgh. I need to know what provider i should accept, especially for the service where I live and work. A 2 mile radius. National travel isn't real important at this moment. I've heard ATT GSM is the best, but the store i'm buying the phone suggests #1 t-mobile, #2 cingular, and #3 att. Please help!!!!

2. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

The ATT GSM footprint is by far not comparable with their TDMA footprint but major urban areas are covered. I heard good and bad things about ATT GSM in their developed areas.

Personally, I have T-mobile and I am very happy with my service in S.F. I have used the service all over California, Pittsburgh, Boston, Denver, up and down Westcoast a lot and briefly in Texas and Washington. I did not run into any major problem till now.

The best thing to do is always to get a service for the 14 day trial period and use it as much as possible in the areas you really want it to work and to then decide. It's a little more effort but it's definitly worthwhile doing...

C.

3. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

I would agree with the phone store. If you want to see unbiased GSM coverage maps go to gsmworld.com and scroll down to the GSM coverage button. Realise that Cingular and T-Mobile share a network in CA and NV and that the maps only display "High Quality Coverage" so you will probably have reception in fringe areas. Although the maps aren't perfect, they do allow you to see the coverage mapped out using the same software on the same map. I wish they took into consideration all coverage instead of only high quality coverage, though.

4. Testguy81

Testguy81 New Member

if you travel alot. I would say Verizon Wireless. The have the largest national coverage. Covering about 80 - 85 % of the nation. With the America's Choice. But its up to you GMS is not widely used across the nation. Its spoty covering most major cities and large highways. Aside from that its crap when it comes to sound quality.

5. med1

med1 Junior Member

I don't know where you came up with 'sound quality is crap part' but GSM has a solid future with T-Mobile, AT&T and Cingular all going that way or are GSM to begin with. Verizon and Sprint will be the CDMA networks. GSM already has solid coverage in most cities and major highways, 2003 will bring much more widespread coverage. 75+% of the world uses GSM and for a reason, and don't tell me there is no world outside of America, many other first and third world countries have higher mobile phone penetration by population then we do and they all mostly use GSM.

6. DCinSEA

DCinSEA Junior Member

AT&T GSM covers all the locations you have indicated.

I don't think that GSM voice is crap, it is just new and needs some refining.

If you get the AT&T GSM Charter Plans, you get unlimited minutes on AT&T which is also building out pretty quick.

Be sure to take advantage of the 15 day return policy, if you get a phone and it is not working for you, regardless of which carrier you decide on.

DCinSEA

7. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

GSM's voice capabilities are far better than anything else available. No one, except you, questions that.

As for Verizon covering 80-85% of the nation, they cover 50% tops. Their strength is the Boston to DC corridor. If you don't believe it check out their licenced coverage area: http://www.verizonwireless.com/images/maps/prepay_natl.gif. They operate no coverage beyond what is on that map.

If you'd like to see Cingular's GSM coverage check out: http://onlinestore.cingular.com/images/Maps/map_PN_GSM_ALL_12_08_02.gif. Better than Verizon in some areas, lacking in others. The only difference is that Cingular hasn't upgraded its entire network to GSM yet while Verizon has done all of its conversion so Cingular GSM is going to get much better (in terms of coverage) while Verizon will stay the same (in terms of coverage).

8. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Actually Verizon cover more than 90% of the population of the US. You can use (and sometimes, depending on your plan, roam on) analog towers where there is no digital coverage. Where there are no analog towers (Slana, Alaska, for example), there is no coverage, from ANYONE.

I'm actually quite glad that there are still areas that haven't any wireless coverage - pristine wilderness.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. CommuteMan

CommuteMan Junior Member

This is a REALLY unhelpful post. Other than the mis-information, the main problem is that the original poster said he is buying a GSM phone. Does Verizon offer a plan that will work with his GSM phone?

CM

10. DefyGravity

DefyGravity Member

No, it was already stated, and should be known that, Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, not GSM. I had tmobile prior to VZM and had good service in Pittsburgh and the parts of CA where you referenced.

btw...DON'T SHOUT

11. adjklf

adjklf New Member

I use Cingular and live in the Westside and would travel from Santa Monica, through WLA/Century City/BHills, and into Downtown and wouldn't have a problem. The coverage on the Westside is very good but you will run into some issues with in-building coverage depending on how deep in the building you are in. Cingular/T-mobile same network and the 8890 even though it's an older phone works really well.

12. asatoran

asatoran Junior Member

Kaosinla, to give you some data for Hawaii, all carriers do pretty well on Oahu, with the exception of Cingular. AT&T bought out the largest local carrier on the island so they basically got the entire island of Oahu in one fell swoop. GTE-Hawaii is now Verizon so they've been here forever. T-Mobile has been around here as long as AT&T. So overall Oahu is pretty well covered. Outer island coverage is fine in the urban areas of Maui and the Big Island. In the country areas (e.g.: Hana on Maui, South Point & Volcano National Park on the Big Island.) you might not get any coverage. Maybe analog or TDMA. Kauai is mostly dead unless you have analog.

AT&T does have the Seimens S46 which does both GSM and TDMA. But I wanted the bigger screen and the flip so I currently have a Moto T720.

I used my AT&T phone from Hawaii, to LA, to SF to Phoenix, to Reno, to LV. All gave about the same reception quality. In other words, outside is fine, in building is mostly OK or spotty, depending on the building. My opinion: T-Mobile is probably better for the moment because they've been doing GSM longer so their GSM coverage is probably better. AT&T's GSM is only a year old so they'll have to fill in the dead spots. But I've been with AT&T for over 10yrs since they were in Analog. Can't really complain. Very few places that I travel to don't have AT&T coverage. So as long as the coverage maps cover you, you'll probably get roughly the same performance from any provider. I personally, do not like Verizon CS and T-Mobile's CS was not as helpfull. Not that AT&T's CS does much better but (knock on wood), I've not had any incident with them yet. [​IMG]

And with AT&T, you have 30 days to cancel you contract without penalty. I'm assuming the others have simialr policies. So try a lot of phones and if you can afford it, try one from all of them to see which does better in your area. Just remember to cancel the others before you're charged.

Have fun shopping! [​IMG]

13. DCinSEA

DCinSEA Junior Member

AT&T has changed their policy down to 15 days, it is no longer 30 days to return it.

14. chatterbox

chatterbox New Member

If you're in Los Angeles, don't get AT&T GSM service. It's really bad. You'll experience an all time high of dropped calls, complete silence for 20-30 seconds at a time, and a full signal that comes around once in a blue moon. I'm all over the Los Angeles area, from Santa Clarita to Irvine, and from the coast to the Inland Empire and let me tell you, it looks like the phone is constantly on 1-2 bars of service. And even then, sometimes your phone won't ring even though you have a signal. Even with 2 bars, sometimes the call won't go through.