Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Need advice: selecting prepay cell Phone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by CapeCoral, Mar 14, 2009.

1. CapeCoral

CapeCoral New Member

We (Live in Europe) own a vaction home in Florida and we are only there a few months a year. We need a preaid cell and want to keep the number as long as we can. Most providers expire after 90 days. It has to be cheap because we use it a few months a year.

Please advice!

Thanks

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Yes, most of the prepaid offerings here have 90 day expiration dates... so you have to refill or forfeit.

One option that I'm using is T-Mobile's Pay as You Go prepaid plan. It's simple: Add $100 to the prepaid (all at once or over time) and achieve Gold Rewards status. Then after that, you only have to refill the account annually with any amount. In your instance, you might add the $100 immediately so you have the 1 year to refill next time.

AT&T and Verizon have annual expiries with $100 refills as well but you have to refill with $100 each time to keep it for a year...

The phones are ultra cheap here... usually as low as $10 depending on the company...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    As long as you're in a well-populated area of Florida you can get service from many different companies.

If you go with T-Mobile you can keep the same number for a whole year by buying a $100 refill which lasts 365 days and then it's only $10 a year after that to maintain a 365 day account or you could get a minimum ac____ and just stock up on cards to last you through the year. T-Mobile at least will give you 90 days for $10 til such time as you become a gold reward customer after which it's only $10 to keep the account alive for another 365 days.

Or you could let the account expire and get a new account each year which would cost you $10 but you'd also have to buy time in addition to the purchase of the account.

4. CapeCoral

CapeCoral New Member

So when the year is over, will the rest of the 100 dollar be valid the next year(after buying the 10 dollar) or do we need to use the rest before the year ends?

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Yes, any remaining balance will carry over when you refill before the expiration date:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    As long as you refill before the expiration date everything carries forward. If you miss the date by even a few minutes or hours the time is lost unless you refill prior to the expiration time.

7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    T-Mobile really is the most flexible wireless company in the US. I highly recommend them in your situation. Below is a link explaining their prepaid plans as well as phones.

Unsupported Browser - T-Mobile Prepaid Plans

Unsupported Browser - T-Mobile Prepaid Phones/SIM Card