Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need Advice For Boss By 8:00Am

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by wbandyjr74, Oct 5, 2003.

1. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    My boss has cingular and they have him on a $39.99 plan and his bill before last was $145.00 ... He went to there store to get a better plan but they gave him the home plan with 300 minutes..Gee i had a plan for 39.99 that gave me 400 minutes and rollover..They say he has to update his equipment to get that plan and enter into another contract.. I think they are taking advantage of him period! He wants to get a phone for him and his girl. He likes my nextel ptt phone but $120 is a bit steep for him.. He got a thing in the mail for AAA members for T-Mobile and that was 800 minutes for $69 i think...But by looking at there map it looks as though you need to be near major routes or you would be roaming.. I was looking at verizons deal Promotional Americas Choice Family Share Plan buy a phone for $119.99 and get 1 free and get the 500 minutes with 1,000 mobile to mobile and unlimited nights and weekends with a 1 year contract. However i don't like the $70 activation fee. We live in the Northeast zipcode 01757 and he will be traveling down toward southern Florida and Alabama area..Am i on the right track or should i be looking somewhere else? Any comments or sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou Bill

2. hambone15

hambone15 Junior Member

Well, coverage wise you USUALLY can't go wrong with Verizon. You will pay slightly higher for their service, but not outrageously higher. Take advantage of the trial periods offered by the carriers to see if he likes the service.

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think they are trying to take advantage of him. What's happening is that Cingular is no longer selling TDMA phones and if you want to get a new plan, you have to get a GSM phone because the new plans don't qualify for TDMA phones. This is just a way to push people out of the TDMA network so they can move on improving GSM. Therefore, you can buy a new GSM phone from them or you can buy it yourself from somewhere else. However, if you want to buy it through Cingular at their discounted price, you have to get into a new contract. However, if you don't want to be in a contract, just pay the full price for the phone or buy it elsewhere. That's pretty much the way it works with any other carrier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wbandyjr74

wbandyjr74 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VOYAGER
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VerizonWireless
    So i can keep up with cingular with my Nokia 5165? I have had this phone for a couple years now and i get the better home plans

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As I said, if you want a new "better" plan you have to switch to a GSM phone. If you want to stay with your 5165 (TDMA) you have to ask them what they can do for you. They no longer sell TDMA in your area but they might have a non-advertised plan that you can use for your TDMA phone.

Good luck...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Suz82

Suz82 New Member

Cingular in your area no longer offers TDMA at all? We're in upstate NY, and they're obviously trying to push everyone to GSM, but it doesn't work all that great around here, so can still sell TDMA phones. They have a few TDMA phones that will still be available because of the poor GSM coverage in our area.