Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Need a New Phone

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Waycole, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Waycole

Waycole New Member

Hey Folks,

I am currently in the market for a new phone. I currently have the LG VX8300, but what to upgrade as my 2 yrs is up. I have been deciding between the Samsung SCH-U550, Samsung SCH-U700(Gleam) and the Motorola W755. I have read mixed reviews on just about all of them. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any hands on experiance with these phones. And recommendations would be great.

2. eds222

eds222 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Lg Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'd steer clear of any motos, they've been very problematic lately and while the w755 is too new to call yet, I don't see any reason to think its any different then our other motos. The U550 and Gleam have been pretty good, only seen a couple go bad since they were introduced. If you don't need a multi-media phone, then you might look at the Lg vx5400. It seems to be a winner.

3. Waycole

Waycole New Member

How about the LG-VX8350? All editors have rated it high, but there are many users that hate it. Have you heard anything that go sway me either way? I have the LG VX8300 now and love it, but my end and send buttons are beginning to stop working. Plus I am nearing the end of my 2 for 2 with Verizon.

4. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My husband has the Moto w385 and likes it. It's a stable, basic phone without all the bells and whistles, but he hates cell phones and hasn't had any complaints with this one yet.

5. morpheusq3

morpheusq3 New Member

My Phone:
    sprint Blackberry Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd have to say that both of the samsungs would probably be the way to go as far as those 3 options. They seem to have a lower return rate than the motorolas. I've already seen some 755's come back with bad screens...like the razr's had. Where the screen either went all white or all black.

6. Amarillo

Amarillo New Member

My Phone:
    LG vx-8610 Decoy
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    When it was time for my NE2 I was going to get the Moto W755. I like to take the odd picture and I'm saving Pepsi Points for MP3s, but I'm not a big texter, amassing only 25 over 2 years with the vx-8300, so I didn't need anything with a keyboard. I didn't want the Dare, probably because it was so hyped as an "iPhone Killer". So, I got the vx-8610 Decoy. A slider, all black instead of the silver originally adversized, I, for one, like it a lot. And unlike a lot of people, the selling point for me was the "joystick". It doesn't take long to get used to, and slides so easily. The camera takes pretty good 2 megapixel pictures, the voice command button is on the keyboard, it had a nice, loud earpiece, ringtones seem even louder than on the 8300, and it comes with the built-in Bluetooth headset, altho that wasn't a selling point for me; it doesn't fit comfortably in my ear. OTOH, I really don't need BT, either. You might give a look to this phone, too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Several people I know with the VX8350 love it. It's a very good successor to the 8300.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Examples of MOTO problems please.

9. vrodcruiser

vrodcruiser New Member

The LG 8300 on Verizon's service is the worst phone I have seen EVER (over 10 years of cell phone use). Verizon is sending me a 5th phone in 13 months of service and they say they have never seen these issues with this phone. Because I have now let Verizon draw this process for over a year Verizon says I must sign a new contract to get a different model phone.

10. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You don't have to get a new contract if you don't mind purchasing a used phone, then swapping the ESN.

I lost my first VX8100 during a motorcycle trek, so purchased another one off ebay, then just swapped the ESN.

I've had good luck with LG phones (except dropping my VX8100 in the snow several times last winter, where it went into car kit mode). My brother has Sprint, but always had Samsung with great results.

My friend's VX8300 just needs a new battery. Mom and another friend has the original Chocolate.

Others I know have Glyde.

I've known several people who hated their Motos, no matter which model. The only Motos that friends didn't complain were the old Nextel phones.

When I had my Moto V120c, for 1.5 years I suffered with a bad ringer.

I never text, never got into the T9Word.

I'm trying out the Dare because it doesn't use the VZW GUI, has an HTML browser, the keyboard is decent for texting. it has rebooted a few times while browsing the internet.

No, it isn't and "IPhone Killer." My friend has an IPhone. Much slicker. He had a problem with his and you can only go to an Apple Store to take care of it.

But, the Dare is much nicer than my VX8100 and I have been texting and watching many youtube videos on it:D