Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nationwide service

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

we are about to start a journey; living in a recreational vehicle and travelling full time for at least a year. Which of the nation wide services will cover us the best. For the most part we will avoid major cities.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Ouch! Tough one.

"Avoiding major cities" can mean everything from you will be "traveling through smaller cities" to "I'm on the open highway with nothing but the wind on my back and the sun in my face."

Sparsely populated areas range in coverage from mere analog (AMPS) to "no coverage." You didn't say if you are traveling the breadth of the continent or staying in a general area (west, midwest, east....). ATT & Verizon probably have the best rural development, but even then you will find that deserts and mountains are usually not wireless friendly and veering off the major highways is asking for trouble if you have serious health needs and expect to fall back on wireless to come to your rescue. Digital (TDMA, CDMA, GSM) coverage in sparsely populated areas is still mostly non-existant.

You need to find yourself a local sales person that you sense will take an honest appraisal of your needs and make a recommendation based on where you will be traveling. You will definitely need an externally mounted antenna to boost the analog signal. But even then, don't expect coverage in the areas I mentioned already (if you do get a signal on the backroads, look at it as a bonus, but don't count on it).

As a suggestion, if you know of an on-line travelers' forum, you might want to submit your question to them to see what their experience has been. Be specific as to the areas you will be visiting.

-Kevin

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Heres an Idea for you

Pick at standard cell phone from verizon. Which would be your main phone with all the minutes and also get a GLOBALSTAR satellite phone that can be used ANYWHERE in the country even in areas where there is no cell service. The downside to globalstar is the price 5 minutes for 24.95 and 60 fro 69.95 and I I think the phone price is aroud $699

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...