Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Nationwide or Semi-Nationwide?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My step-dad is thinking about getting a cell phone. He thinks nationwide plans are the way to go. For here in Smyrna, DE (19977), Verizon and Cingular are the only options really. I love Verizon and are leaning towards the 300 minute America's Choice plan(35$), but the 29.99 (250min) Cingular Nation plan isn't bad either. I know he wouldn't use it too much. Say he used most of his minutes, and no extra charges, how much would the taxes be for each plan. Price in the end really wins. I know Verizon looks cheaper, but knowing Cingular they may add some extra crap on there each month. Thanks!

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Please forgive me if I didn't understand the post correctly, but the one thing I noticed was the immediate conclusion that a nationwide plan is needed. If you travel extensively, I can understand it, but if it is just to be able to dial long distance, there is no need to go with a national plan. Regional and even Local plans sometimes include long distance calls.

For example, as long as you are within your plan's calling area, you can call TO anywhere in the country. The benefit of national plans is that it allows the caller to be anywhere in the nation and not incur additional charges.

3. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    He'd want to be able to roam nationwide, and make LD calls. I simply wanted to know what the FCC(etc.) taxes would be like on each plan. Cingular's plan is 29.99 but the taxes might be 5$, making the total 35$ he'd have to pay. Verizon's is 35$ but let's say the taxes are only 3$, making the total bill 38$. In my little fake scenario, Verizon would be better since it;d only be 3$ more for 50 more minutes. See what I mean, I know the basic costs of the plans, but I have NO idea what the taxes would be on it. I need to know to figure out what's the best plan.

4. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    He'd want to be able to roam nationwide, and make LD calls. I simply wanted to know what the FCC(etc.) taxes would be like on each plan. Cingular's plan is 29.99 but the taxes might be 5$, making the total 35$ he'd have to pay. Verizon's is 35$ but let's say the taxes are only 3$, making the total bill 38$. In my little fake scenario, Verizon would be better since it;d only be 3$ more for 50 more minutes. See what I mean, I know the basic costs of the plans, but I have NO idea what the taxes would be on it. I need to know to figure out what's the best plan.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Now there's a question I've never seen asked before (or did I forget, again?). Since I'm on the West Coast, I wouldn't be much help here except to tell you my bill is never more than 4 or 5 dollars over the plan rate (for taxes, etc.).

6. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Taxes on $29.99 should be about $4-$5 dollars bringing the cost around $34.00 dollars give or take, but it shouldn't matter how the taxes are, if he's not going to use the phone alot minutes on the phone he might want to save $3.00 dollars for something else like McDonald.

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

fcc taxes are one thing but the various states have different taxes. as well as some counties add a tax and then on top of that certain cities do. you should find someone in your locality with a cell phone bill and look at the bill to see the breakdown of their taxes.

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, the tax, etc., shouldn't be more than $4 - $5 more than the bill.

I can tell you right off my last bill. I have Voicestream Wireless. I pay $39.99 for 700 anytime Nationwide minutes (free roaming & free long distance). My total bill after taxes and all other surcharges was $43.57. After looking through my bill very closely, Voicestream doesn't charge me any extra fees or surcharges, just one tax.

If you are interested, here are the Voicestream Nationwide rate plans.

9. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    airb,
    Taxes can be assessed by a government entitiy as small as a few blocks, so it varies widely. But the taxes at one address would be the same regardless of the carrier. Users here report from 9 to 16% taxes, averaging about 12%.

A nearby city next to me levies a hefty tax on roaming. So if your carrier's plan includes free roaming across the area you will use the phone, that kind of tax would be small or none. So with the Cingular plan, there might be less roaming tax. I used to allow a little roaming on my account since it didn't justify a regional plan, until I found out the roaming taxes made a big diffference. So now I have a regional plan with no roaming.

BTW, that tax was incorrectly collected since I didn't live in that city. After pitching a _____, I got all those tax charges returned from the carrier, but that's another thread. (After complaining, I was put into the proper taxing area, and sure enough, my tax rate went higher. Me and my big mouth. But at least the taxes now benefit MY neighborhood)

-Bill Radio

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. erub

erub Junior Member

I have almost $9 in taxes on my bill. TX doesnt have a state income tax, so our state sales tax is 8.25%. Here's the breakdown:
    Cingular Home 400:
    $39.99 monthly service charge
    $1.60 (16 SMS @ $.10 each)

Other Charges & Credits (as quoted on the bill)
    Federal Universal Service $0.55
    Texas Universal Service $1.50
    Total: $2.05

Taxes, Surchases, or Assessments (on the bill)
    9-1-1 Service Fee $0.50
    Texas Infrastructure Fund $0.97
    Federal Excise Tax $1.30
    State Sales Tax $2.78
    Local Special Purpose District Tax $0.46
    Local Sales Tax $0.46
    Total: $6.47

Total Bill: $50.11

I think that the state of TX/the federal government charges all these taxes, and that they would be the same with Verizon, Sprint, etc. I don't see how going with a national plan could save anything. My grandfather has an old $15/month plan (analog, 0 minutes included, $.60/minute) and without any calls it is still ~$22/month (I keep trying to get them to upgrade, but he hates contracts and will not pay no contract price for a phone). It serves his needs. The only two that are variable I think are the state and local sales taxes, the rest would be assessed on my bill as well as his (AFAIK they are not percentage based).

11. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    $4 or $5 sounds about right to me also. For what I get I pay $32 plus taxes and that makes my total bill $37.38.