Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

National Roaming with Prepaid

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by mst90, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mst90

mst90 New Member

Is it possible to use national partner Roaming with a prepaid card? If I look at the coverage map on the AT&T website the GoPhone Prepaid Coverage is not as good as the normal one.
    Does this have some reasons?
    What is pick your plan (prepaid?)? How can I get a Pick Your Plan Card with better roaming?

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL

GoPhone uses the native AT&T network only. It does not roam on any other networks.

If you want better roaming networks you're going to have to switch to a monthly paid account or switch to T-Mobile prepaid which does roam on many networks.

1 person likes this.
  3. mst90

mst90 New Member

okay, thank you,, but i have still some questions.
    Does AT&T have some Contracts without 24 or 12 month term? Because Im only here for one year.

To T.Mobile. Do they have unlimited texting packages? and do they have mobile internet prepaid packages (i wasn't able to finde something on the website). And do they have Micro SIM Cards too?

4. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    They may, but be advised that unless you have developed a US credit file it may be difficult to get a paid monthly account. I don't know if they still do, but you might have to put up a deposit.

As for T-Mobile's prepaid the skuttlebutt that I've heard is that T-Mobile is shortly coming out with some new offerings for prepaid including new data options.

As far as I know T-Mobile does not have micro-SIMs. They don't have any devices yet that require them. You can either cut it out yourself if you have patience with an Exacto knife or get a special SIM punch that's expressly made to cut down a regular SIM to use in devices that require a micro-SIM.

5. mst90

mst90 New Member

Okay AT&T won't work..
    But under Coverage they have the normal Pay as you go prepaid map and a map with "Pick your plan" what does that mean?

Yeah T.Mobile would work, 15$ for unlimited texting is a good price!

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    "Pick your plan" referred to a former set of prepaid monthly plans that ranged from $30 to $70. They have since killed "Pick your plan" for a set of new prepaid plans. The monthly plans now are $60 and $75;

I am not sure what types of roaming is available with the newer monthly plans. I would not be surprised if roaming isn't available off the AT&T network.

If you need roaming off the AT&T network, I would look into T-Mobile, Tracfone, or non-GSM carrier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mst90

mst90 New Member

But now i have sometimes outside (not in buildings) network, called USA Extended Area with a normal Prepaid Card. It would be interessted to know if the real roaming works with the 60&75$ plans, so if anyone knows that ;-)

Non GSM is not really good for me because i'm just here for one year and in europe at home the verizon etc phones are not work, but my iPhone works there well too :)
    In our Area Cellular One/Chinook has a one network, but they dont sell prepaid, or i can't found prepaid plans..

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Since you are in Montana, the GSM carrier as of now is Chinook :( However, AT&T just acquired the Alltel towers in your state. The "USA Extended" network you're seeing is actually AT&T's. AT&T is converting the former Alltel GSM and CDMA towers in your area.

So in all likelihood, if you are able to make calls on USA-Extended/310-590 on your prepaid phone, then you are good to go :)

By the way, If you are interested, Chinook (now known as CellularOne) has one prepaid product:

Cellular One | Rate Plans | Data Services

Looks like they only offer unlimited minutes in Montana with the Fast Phone Plan... no references to roaming outside of the state... and no other prepaid options besides this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  9. mst90

mst90 New Member

wow the cellular one plan for 25$/month with unlimited texting and 250mb is REALLY cheap. And its with surfing, great i think thats someting i need, thanks:)

EDIT: Do you know if i can order a prepaid card online? :)

#9 mst90, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

USA Extended Area is Alltel and your coverage here in Montana will be MUCH better than shown. You will be able to roam on Alltel here as it is owned by AT&T. Alltel's existing GSM coverage is very poor but will greatly improve in February when they're rebranding to AT&T and launching statewide UMTS (3G).

PS the CellularOne plan isn't $25, it's $60. Which is still a goodish deal, given AT&T's equivalent is $75... BUT AT&T works nationwide, CellularOne only works in Montana. Also, come February, AT&T will have much better coverage here than CellularOne

11. mst90

mst90 New Member

but to wait untill Febuary is a long time. Cellular One has a 100 minutes pack for 15$ + 10$ for texting + 10$ for surfing is a good price.

12. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Like I said you can use the existing Alltel GSM network now even though it's not on the maps yet. The quality is poor, but rapidly improving. CellularOne is a great deal IF you can live with it only working in Montana.

13. oldkyman

oldkyman Member

My Phone:
    casio rock
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vzw
    i wouldn't hold my breath for that febuary date,att been promo th 3-g her for 4 yrs.
    and you guessed it nothing yet,they even had the b---s to anounce it on tv
    month's ago

14. locust43

locust43 New Member

Actually their prepaid does have limited roaming. I know here AT&T does have roaming on former Alltel GSM and Unicel GSM from prepaid.

Also if they are having concerns about coverage from AT&T in montana, T-Mobile probably wouldn't be the best option.

Have you checked out Straight Talk or Page Plus? Those run off Verizon CDMA and unlimited talk, text, and some web is like $45 a month and it's national US coverage. You could buy an inexpensive phone to use with it.

#14 locust43, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  15. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

"Actually their prepaid does have limited roaming. I know here AT&T does have roaming on former Alltel GSM and Unicel GSM from prepaid.

Also if they are having concerns about coverage from AT&T in montana, T-Mobile probably wouldn't be the best option."

Former Alltel/Unicel GSM. Note the former part. In many areas, this is now native AT&T.

As for Montana, T-Mobile prepaid allows roaming on CellularOne (MTPCS), though it prefers AT&T.