Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My Sprint vs. Verizon Customer Service experiences

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Andy, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Well hey guys!

I have been a Sprint customer for about a week and a half now and I have already noticed the difference between Verizon and Sprint, not only coverage wise, but also with Customer Service.

With Sprint, every time I have had to call customer service I have been on hold for AT LEAST 20 minutes. To me, that is unacceptable. With Verizon, I was never on hold for longer than 90 seconds before someone picked up the phone and helped me. While Verizon Customer Service was not perfect- like when they were too stuck up to create a trouble ticket for their "best, most reliable" network, but at least they have 99.9% of the time helped me without arguing, fast and professionally. When it takes me over 20 minutes to get a hold of someone at Sprint, I am already ticked.

Just the other night I had to call Verizon and got a very professional gentleman on the phone after less than 5 seconds on hold...I liked how he ended our conversation saying "Mr. X, again, my name is Jack and it has been a pleasure serving you tonight. Also, here at Verizon Wireless we realize you do have a choice when it comes to your wireless carrier and we Thank You for choosing Verizon Wireless."

Coverage wise, while Sprint does have the better roaming agreements, their coverage here still stinks(and that is after Sprint has already made improvements).

I am not trying to start a Sprint vs. Verizon battle as I understand that everyone's mileage varies with every carrier, but across the board, a lot of people are still underimpressed with Sprint in the CS department.
    ~Andy

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey I didn't know you got Sprint. Or did I? Hmm. Anyway did you get a SERO and what phone did you get? I thought you already knew what Sprint's coverage would be like. Didn't you carry around a Virgin Mobile or something? But I guess that's not a true indicator. With Sprint you can always force roaming on Verizon. Also there are some ways to call customer service with shorter wait times. Depends on which number you call.

3. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hey!

I did get the Treo 700 wx with a SERO plan.
    I don't carry a Virgin Mobile, but I have an unactivated Sprint phone and have forced my Verizon phone to Sprint extensively the past few months. Some weak coverage areas are still a surprise though since I didn't get to test all places. ;)
    Of course there are ways to get around those wait times (I tried one of those numbers and the wait time was still over 20 minutes and then the lady gave me a hard time, questioning me about the phone number I called to reach her). That's besides the point, though, that 99.9% of Sprint customers have to wait even longer than we have to. It's just not right and there is no excuse. Sprint has had years to improve this. Hell, isn't their call center already in India or something?
    With Verizon, most of the time I get someone right here in West Valley, UT call center.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Time of day is key. I think during peak times there's a longer wait. The last time I called in I got through in about 5 minutes.

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is true, but still....You have to admit that you shouldn't have to worry about that. ;)

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well I honestly don't worry about customer service. I think I've called them maybe twice in 2 years. No big deal to me.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    True, but what impression does that give to customers, especially NEW customers, in case they call Customer Service? ;) I believe that Sprint could solve some of their own problems by improving their CS.

8. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Andy,

As you may remember, I was a Verizon Wireless customer for 10 years before switching to Sprint about 2.5 years ago. I was very impressed with Verizon service and also with their customer service. The only time that I had to contact Verizon customer service was when I moved to my new home here in Laguna Niguel California about 4 miles from my old home in Aliso Viejo. The Verizon service at my new home was abysmal and still is completely unusable. I found that Sprint had an excellent signal at my home by accident when I was trying to use my Verizon data card and it somehow found and locked-on to a Sprint signal in roaming mode. The Sprint signal was full-strength! Later after some additional research I found that Sprint is the only provider that is reliable in my neighborhood and therefore I switched to Sprint. After over 2.5 years, all I can say is that it is the best move that I have ever made regarding wireless providers. Remember, that I used to drink Verizon Kool-aid by the gallons and it was my standard mode of operation to bash at least several Sprint users on a weekly basis. I really believed that Verizon was superior in every way and would not listed to reason from any of these under-informed Sprint users. I thought that they choose Sprint because they can't afford to purchase a real cell phone service. I was really wrong, and wound-up eating a lot of crow. Actually I think I ate at least half-a-dozen crows! Here are the reasons why Sprint is a better choice than Verizon:

Sprint does not cripple their phones. Verizon's tactics in this area are IMHO despicable. (Arrrrggghhhh, don't get me started on this one)

Sprint has real unlimited data. Verizon doesn't provide this option. I don't need to go into detail. You know what I mean. (See the M-W definition of "unlimited", apparently Verizon uses a different definition)

Sprint has the ability to force roaming and will keep the phone in roaming mode. Therefore, you are in control of deciding if you want to use Sprint, or in the area that you live, "Verizon". That is an awesome feature that no other wireless provider offers.

Sprint EVDO REV-A is higher-speed than Verizon Data. Many tech commentators such as Leo LePort and currently recommending Sprint for wireless data.

Sprint phones are not crippled. (Did I already say that?)

Sprint has better pricing plans for voice and real unlimited data. Sprint also has SERO plans that are excellent.

Now let's me be honest. What sucks-wind about Sprint?

Sprint Customer Service is the absolute lamest in the industry. If you call Sprint phone support, you will usually be very disappointed. You know much more about the operation of your phone and the Sprint network than the Sprint Phone Support folks. It is really a sad state of affairs and Sprint doesn't seem to care about fixing it because they will have to hire folks that are paid less than minimum wage.

On the other hand, I never have any problems because the Sprint network is so good that I don't need to talk with customer service. If I need customer service, I email Sprint ecare and always get good results. It seems that Sprint assigns the retards to phone support, and the good customer support reps answer the email. Always remember that if you don't get a good Sprint signal, you can force the phone into roaming mode and in the area where you are located you will roam on Verizon. In other areas like Chicago, you will roam on US Cellular (rated excellent in ChicagoLand), or in other wester areas you will roam on AllTel who is also quite excellent. I believe that Sprint has the best roaming agreements in the business and did I say that they allow you to force roaming mode and the phone will STAY in roaming mode. No other cell phone provider can do that or will allow that!

Additional thoughts:

I recently purchased one of the Sprint Novatel USB Broadband Data Cards and the performance is the BOMB! Sprint is really investing heavily in data and will eventually be going to 4G within the next several years. That will be really cool. I wonder if it is possible to get a Skype Application for a Treo and get an unlimited data plan with a very minimal voice plan and then make unlimited phone calls using skype? Interesting, and I wonder if it is financially a good solution?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. With Sprint, you have the best of both worlds (Sprint and Verizon) in on phone and you have the ability to switch between them and choose at will. You just need to forget about phone customer service and begin using ecare via email. The customer support reps are not going to thank you for using Sprint and some of them will be dicks. Unfortunately, that is the price to pay for using Sprint, but IMHO it is a very small price compared to all of the excellent benefits.

Regards, and welcome to the best of both networks. :)

-jim

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint is the bomb!

10. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Andy,

Larry is really correct about this one. Sprint really is the BOMB because you can have the best of both networks. :)

11. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    IMHO, the only problem with this analogy is that most people don't call CS to tell them how great their prices are or to thank them for not crippling phones. People call to report problems. Most calls are due to billing problems.

Every carrier deserves poor marks to some extent with their CS departments. Otherwise, there would be nothing to complain about.

I do agree with Andy here. Sprint has the longest hold times for CS out of all the major carriers. I've used them all.

I called Sprint yesterday from my T-Mobile Blackberry about my SW aircard. The expected hold time was to cost me 35 of my "Whenever," minutes. My issue wasn't a big deal, but after about 20 minutes on hold, I noticed I started to get irritated (I'm human). I was just doing my spreadsheets and reports and put my phone on speaker mode while I held. When the female rep finally picked up, I told her my problem. Although she spoke English decently, her comprehension skills were very poor. I kept asking her a question and she kept responding with an answer that did not apply to the situation. When I would express confusion as to why she wouldn't answer my question, she giggled as if I was telling her a joke and she "thought," she was supposed to laugh??? At that point I just laughed and told her thanks but I didn't have time and had to go. She then read her script at the end by saying: "Did I resolve all your issues today?" and I just thanked her again and disconnected.

From a CS perspective, the way each carrier approaches it can yield different results. Verizon Wireless for example, monitors all calls. Each rep knows this and is graded on a 1-10 point system. The closer to a 10, the better. If they score low, they are coached. Too many low scores and they're fired. Lots of high scores wins them lots of praise and free gifts as an incentive to do their best. It sounds very elementary and borderline intrusive, but it works for the most part since each rep is personally accountable for each call and will do their best if they value their career.

VZW also reminds each customer that "they," are the most important asset which makes some people feel all warm and cozy. They also offer to call back after a complicated issue is researched and resolved. Believe me, they do call back until the situation is handled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am sorry but I thought this thread was about customer service not the all around services anyways to get back on topic. Sprint is kind of rediculous at customer service they do give you the farm but I waited 15-30 minutes just to exchange a phone I was on the phone 45 minutes and this was during the middle of the day and I spoke to someone from India. BLAH> But I am not saying that Verizon doesnt have their bad things but to me I would rather have someone who does not know as much rather than wait 15 minutes.

13. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The reason that this world is an interesting place to live is that each individual has their own priorities. Some folks like myself like all of the technical perks like a phone that has maximal roaming capability, fastest high-speed data. This results in usable service no matter where I am located in the USA. Other folks like customer service and don't like to wait on hold only to get a tard that is located in India and has never actually held a Sprint phone. I also understand this mind set. Folk's time is valuable and you don't want to waste your time with a tard that doesn't understand your problem! I get around this problem by emailing Sprint ecare and therefore I don't deal with the tards on the phone that were recently fired from McDonalds for incorrect hamburger flipping and immediately hired by Sprint as a customer service phone rep. It's sad, but true. I have always had good responses from ecare and they have always resolved my problems.

It is also important to remember that Verizon has better customer service but their reps are also reading a script. Customer service reps need to drop the dang scripts as most customers are sick hearing the same script over-and-over again. (e.g. "is there anything else that I can help you with today?", or "have I successfully addressed your issues"). Hell, if you are a customer service rep and don't know if you have successfully addressed my issues, then you need shouldn't be in the customer service business and need to find another job. Sheesh! They treat us customers like idiots and try to suck-up to us. Don't call me "sir" over 100 times, don't ask me if you have successfully resolved my problem, just do you darn job and resolve my problem, and most of all, don't even think of being ingratiating and/or sucking-up to me because I will put you in your place really quickly! Just solve my problem and get me off the phone as quickly as possible. Most of all, don't tell me that I am valuable to you company! You know as well as I that I am as insignificant to your company as a grain of sand on the beach. Just fix my problem and you don't have to feed me that BS because I will have respect for your ability rather than you sucking-up ability. You will know if you successfully solved my problem and will not have to ask me. That is why I like to deal with Sprint email customer support. I don't have to listen to all of the ingratiating crap that most CS organizations are spewing over the phone and I get concise and accurate results. :rolleyes:

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well the person I was talking to with the Exchange Process was reading a script it was bad. It was like listening to a monotone robot..

15. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

You guys have to remember that Sprint is going through a billing coversion to a new billing system as well as bringing CS back to the states...This is pulling alot of reps off the phone.....I remember back a few months ago Sprint had no hold time at all almost longest was less then 3 minutes.....Now weather you got an educated rep that had a clue was a different story..

Anyway here is the Fastest connect CS #....1.877.812.1223 this is a "get-right-through" number (No Clair)

16. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Lenny,

Thanks for providing this phone number. I have to ask the following questions:

1. When you get right-through, do you get to a customer support rep that is located in the USA, or do you get to India?

2. When you get to a CS rep, are they helpful or just one-step above a tard?

3. Do that give you a "load of crap" (e.g. "asking if you are satisfied with the support that they provided when they know that your problem is not solved and that you are 10x more upset than when you called in to report the problem a half-hour ago?) This is when I go on the offensive and give the tard an ear-full!!

If you answers are positive, I may give it a try the next time rather than using good-old ecare.

17. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

1....With this phone # i have never gotten an outsourced rep...either that or they spoke damn good english..

2....You will however still get the occaional ignorant Sha-quae-la, Jay-Ron, Mara-Sue or Billa Bob that could careless if they helped you or not, they just want the paycheck sounding...I usally hang up immedately before they ask for my phone #, atleast there in america...and Sprint isnt the only company with type of people.

3....With other types of Reps, it usally straight to the point....I must admit I dont have as many problems as most of you guys so i cant say weather they're compentant or not....most of my calls are just to pay a bill or switch an esn.

Hope this helps

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I sure don't have as many problems either. I also favor using ecare by the way. Glad you posted a new number for us but I hope they don't go and remove it now.

19. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I had Sprint 3 years ago, and I thought their CS was bad then. I was shocked that I knew more than the reps. I always had billing issues and I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to remove the erroneous charges from my bill. The hold times were atrocious back then... 10-20 minutes were normal for me. Now, I have to hear my friend groan about Sprint's CS (she's not leaving since she has 1000 min for $60 with 2 lines).

I've been with Verizon for almost 2 years and I've been pleased for the most part with CS. The longest I've been on hold was 5 minutes. Of course, everyone has dumb CSRs, but I went thru with that only once. My experiences on VZW and Sprint are night and day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Jim,

Your comments make sense and are great. I agree with many of them. You mention having great, usable service anywhere in the USA and that is one of your priority. That is great. BUT, if my home service area has tons of low coverage areas and dead spots, it gets annoying. That is when, even when my priorities are to have the best roaming out there, it gets annoying as hell when your calls drop left and right because you leave a Sprint service area or enter one of their coverage holes. Of course this is NOT the case in Southern California, but, sadly, it still is the case in Salt Lake. What does coverage in Lalaland, USA do for me if I get annoyed as hell where I spend 90% of my time? Of course I would love to have that roaming freedom, but I really don't travel into areas where my Verizon phone (with more limited roaming) does not provide me with adequate coverage, and I do travel a lot. It just depends on where you travel to.
    Don't get me wrong- I love Sprint as a company, I love their pricing and fairness in a lot of things, the way they don't cripple their devices and limit their features.
    If I call Customer Service with a question or problem, I do get annoyed when I have to be on hold for more than a few minutes and then get someone on the line from India. Of course ecare is an option, BUT sometimes you just want things taken care of, like while you are driving to work or just wanting to talk to a human to get things taken care of right then and there.
    ECare has been, however, very, very good for me, like you mentioned, it does seem like the more competent people's jobs are the ecare department.

Oh well, I will stop venting now. :)

21. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here's some of the "crap" I've gotten from Sprint ecare...of course I'd rather read this than be told this, because I can just skim over it and forget about it, rather than waste my time on the phone.

"Thank you for contacting Sprint. It has been my pleasure working with you to resolve your issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We value your loyalty and always look forward to the opportunity to provide you excellent service now and in the future. Thank you and have a great day!"

"Sprint values our customers, and we take pride in the services that we offer. We appreciate your relationship with us, and look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you for using E-Care, and have a great day!"

Like I said, I don't mind reading this "crap". I do think that it makes a nice addition, though, even if, like you said, we really don't mean anything to the carrier. ;)

22. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

Andy- How often do expect to be calling CS....Do you not have everything set up the way you want on your account...The reason's your getting the long hold times is because Sprint is pulling CS from India and also Upgrading their billing systems, Its a PIA, but its for the best...IMO anyway.

If Sprint is not working for you, and ofcourse all carriers have coverage holes, then there's your answer....Sprint gives you Free Unrestricted Roaming Options to make up for that. If that's not good enough on a 30$ all-you-can-eat plan....Then maybe you should've stayed with VZW....Cant have your cake and eat it too. Not for 30$ a month...Come on man.

23. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    I think Andy was pretty clear that coverage wasn't up to snuff. That's reason enough for me to be irritated. Terrible CS in just the icing on the cake.

IMHO, there are only 3 reasons that somebody should sign up for Sprint SERO knowing fully well that they'll need to roam 90% of the time.

A) Broke
    B) Cheapskate
    C) Both A & B

Those of us who do pay Sprint every month (non SERO) the full MRC, should expect decent CS when and if we need them.

Normally there is no reason to call CS everyday, but when your carrier's method of resolving problems requires that you call back 10 times and either get hung up on or given mixed answers, then you have to do what you have to do.

Calling Sprint CS for anything other than changing your billing address is a chore. I can attest to that. I've had to call 5 times for my aircard.

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    *sigh* 90% of the time? :rolleyes: Andy does have some coverage issues but it's hardly that bad.

25. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    No doubt. I used my illustration as a metaphore.

Consumers value their service levels differently. When a customer is already frustrated by the "little," things the last thing they want to do is wait 30 minutes to get assistance over the phone. Great CSR's can be trained to lessen the initial irritation by a variety of means. My team knows exactly what I expect of them and I hold them accountable.

Emailing CS from your online account manager is a great option, except when they reply back 3 days later with things like, "in order for us to assist you, you must have a valid Nextel phone number." Nextel? WTH?

I must of gotten the newbie.

I personally have kept my aircard because I like it despite my misgivings for Sprint CS. But I will tell you, there have been times when I've questioned why I would put up with it?

26. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Andy,

That is very true and I agree with you. One thing that we need to remember is that none of the carriers care about us. We are like a grain of sand on the beach and there is a new schmuck walking in the door at Verizon or Sprint every 10 seconds to get a new free phone complete with all of the headaches! :)

27. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Why call CS when you can email them and get your problem resolved satisfactorily? Doesn't make any sense to me. I'd rather skip all of the ingratiating crap that all of the cell phone providers spew over the phone.

28. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    I prefer to do everything online if I can. This is the last email reply I got 3 days after I submitted my question from my online account....

"in order for us to assist you, you must have a valid Nextel phone number."

29. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree that is really bad. Sprint's strong suit has never been customer service. Here in Southern California, Sprint provides the best service and if I am out in the boonies, I can simply force my phone to roam on Verizon. To me that is very valuable because there are areas where Sprint works and Verizon doesn't and vice-versa. No cell phone service is perfect. I also use high speed data in major metropolitan areas and recently upgraded to one of the EVDO Rev-A Cards. IMHO Sprint has better data services than Verizon, but Verizon is also pretty darn good. You really can't go wrong with Sprint or Verizon for data services. On the other hand, if you really want customer support, then customers in this situation should go with Verizon; no doubt about that. :)

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Hmm that's very odd but I can tell you that on the times I've used ecare they have been excellent. Sounds like some really bad luck there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.