Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My Review for LG 5350

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by chris001, Oct 19, 2002.

1. chris001

chris001 New Member

One word...AWESOME. I have owned the Samsung 3500 and the Sanyo 6000 (excellent phone). Vision phones I have tried include the Sanyo 4900 (great for a bar phone) and the Samsung N400 (very poor phone). The LG 5350 is simply the greatest phone I have ever owned. Here are some things I really like about the phone if you are considering buying one:

1) Feel. The feel of this phone in your hand and while in use is excellent.

2) Reception. Very strong and holds steady.

3) Screen. Brighter than the Sanyo 4900 and N400. Not as good as the tft display on the Samsung A500.

4) Battery. Superb life for a color screen. Blows away the Samsung.

5) Tone options. The best I have ever seen. LG put a lot of thought into this. You will never get bored.

6) Setip options. Again, LG tops them all.

After reviewing all of the new Vision phones, the LG 5350 gets the highest rating. It's one of those phones that you will keep for a long time. Style is also excellent. While I received much attention for Sanyo 6000, the LG holds its own. A very unique phone. Do not, and I must repeat, do not purchase the Samsung vision phones.

Just wanted to share my experiences with you.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree!!! plus the onboard memory space of the LG 5350 compared to the samsungs is amazing!! the LG 5350 has very nice 4MB compared to the 400kb.. hahah... of course the Samsungs have the camera (yea.. or not... $50 for a crappy digital, plus most people who are getting it or got it (including my roommate) are using it so they can use photos for their caller id.. however, wiht a little know-how you can setup your own webserver that can store your OWN personal photos and then download, For free!!!, them to your phone) good review!! i just chnaged my sprintpcs plan so i get unlimited VISION and Messages for only $10 plus my voice plan!! WOW!
    oh yea, for fun, here is my website for LG 5350 ringers (they are full midi songs, kind of large files sizes) and images (most of the stuff here is not mine) and some games and apps (they might be down, i am still figuring out how to get them to run and the correct mime and .jad files)... http://63.231.157.76/main.htm if its down, its cuz i turned off my computer, it is usually up and going at night!!! enjoy, email any requests to me.. i plan on gettin my site up-to-date and runnning with, hopefully, over 30 midis and 30 images divided up into categories..
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. DecoDiver

DecoDiver Junior Member

Is the LG's reception as good as the 4900? I'm trying to find a replacement for my CRAPPY Samsung.

4. chris001

chris001 New Member

No, the LG does not get better reception than the 4900. Bar phones always get a better reception than flips. The LG is more of a stable reception if anything. Where my Samsung failed, the LG comes through. It holds the signal much better. This is true when comparing LG phones to all crap Samsung products. Overall, I have been very satisfied with my LG signal...0 dropped calls.

If you want to learn more, go read my thread "Problems with N400" in the Samsung group. It is funny to read all all the replies of the Samsung suckers. They are all having problems.

Also, there is a rumor that Samsung is considering a recall of the N400 and certain A500 phones.

Buy LG for looks and quality...but the Sanyo is a good product.

Hope this helps

5. DecoDiver

DecoDiver Junior Member

Well, I bought the 4900 yesterday. GREAT signal quality, and the speaker phone option is nice even though it's only half duplex. But since I use a handsfree set anyway, it doesn;t make that much difference.

I had a couple calls today with the Sanyo where the caller's voice seemed to get faint, and they had trouble hearing me as well. Also, I have to say that although I bought the phone for call reception, not entertainment, the screen on the Sanyo really sucks for a color phone, and it seems a bit cheap RE: construction.

I am thinking of keeping the 4900 for a couple more days and then returning it to try the LG. (When I tried the two phones side-by-side in several different locations, the 4900 seemed to have better reception, but I know that the number of bars in the display don't always mean the same thing when comparing two different phones.) Basically, I'm trying to figure out if the extra $60 for the LG is going to buy me equivalent call quality of if I'm going to be sacrificing performance for ergonomics?

Also, I'm dying without a Bluetooth phone. Since I plan to either (1) upgrade to a BT model as soon as Sprint brings one out (as long as it's not Samsung) or (2) drop Sprint in May if they don;t get a BT phone, I can't decide if the LG is worth the extra money.

Chris, have you used the LG for data when connected to a PC or PDA?

6. chris001

chris001 New Member

The folks at LG tell me the USB connectivity for the 5350 will not be available until November (you can talk to Sprint for more information) but you can still download stuff to your phone using Vision.

I am happy with the LG 5350. I am happier than I have ever been with this phone. The performance, looks, and functionality of this phone are superb.

While the Sanyo is a good phone (I used it for 2 weeks) the LG simply makes me feel better. So take back your Sanyo and get the LG. It is well worth the money. I don't plan on switching phones for a very long time and I am known to switch often.

7. ScandaLEX

ScandaLEX Senior Member

I purchased the Sanyo 4900 before the LG5350 hit the shelves. Once I had a 5350 in my hand, I definately had to make the switch. The day I exchanged (yes, exchanged, I was still within the 14 day return policy) my Sanyo 4900 for the LG 5350, I was told by the sales associate (Sprint) that the car charger for the 5350 was not available yet. Not to worry, I was going straight home and could fully charge it when I got in.

[​IMG] This is wear the fun (sarcasm) really began. I charged my phone, and upon attempting to use it, the phone would not maintain a clear signal. I was holding it in the air, and even went outdoors to get a signal. Hell, while I'm on the subject, I called the phone and left myself a message, but no signal meant no voice mail indicator. [​IMG]

Finally after getting nowhere for about 2 hours, I laid the phone down.....by this time I was exhausted, I needed a nap.....phone was kicking my behind [​IMG]

About an hr later I woke up to my indicator...wow! I had the voice mail icon...it finally arrived. [​IMG]

Now, all this drama with a phone left me feeling that the grass is not always greener on the other side, and the very next morning, I packed my LG 5350 and all its earthly possessions back in it box and went and got myself (another exchange) the Sanyo 4900 back.

Oh well.....there's a phone out there for everybody, the 5350 just wasnt it for me. Kinda left that sour taste in my mouth. [​IMG]

8. ScandaLEX

ScandaLEX Senior Member

This is not the first time I have heard this about bar phones. Does anyone know why they get better reception?

9. DecoDiver

DecoDiver Junior Member

Well, as much as I marveled over the 4900's signal quality, I just went and exchanged it for the 5350. ALready, I noticed that the four bars reception in my office with the 4900 has dwindled to either one or no bars with the 5350.

After spending the morning researching phones (had the day off), though, I found out that the 5350 is the only phone that can connect through a serial cable instead of only USB. Unfortunately, I can't connect my iPAQ to any phone via USB. Only serial will work for PDAs, except for the Toshiba e740 with the USB host/VGA adapter installed (or, obviously, any device with a Bluetooth card).

So, I'll test the 5350 for a couple days. If I can live with the signal quality, I'll order the $60 iPAQ >> 5350 cable and use the phone until Sprint comes out with a Bluetooth model. If the 5350 turns out to be as bad as any of my Samsungs -- which I hope is not the case -- I guess I'll do the same thing as ScandaLEX and go get my 4900 back. [​IMG]

10. ScandaLEX

ScandaLEX Senior Member

Good Luck with your new 5350 Deco[​IMG]

11. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

glad to hear you are liking your lg 5350. Our retail store didnt sell too many of those, so i never got very much feedback from them. LGs in general are ranked by many as the worse reception phone manufacturer for sprint. Even worse than samsungs. The only one that I have personally seen that was somewhat decent, is the LG4NE1 (its battery sucked azz though). i think the 4NE1 is quite hideous and would never buy it. But I must admit, i was impressed with the 5350s color screen graphics and already installed video games. Didnt really get to experiment much with its reception and call quality. But if it is as good as you say it is, then im glad LG finally made a good model phone. However, I am still a firm believer that sanyos are the best!

12. DecoDiver

DecoDiver Junior Member

Well, I'm only getting one "bar" of reception in my office, whereas the Sanyo 4900 got four. Also, the LG has dropped service indoors three times, while the Sanyo never suffered in that area. So, I think you're right about the 4900 being the standard to beat.

As I said, though, I couldn't connect the 4900 to my iPAQ because of the USB issue. On the other hand, I now have $140 worth of cables to connect the 5350 to both my iPAQ (serial) and notebook (USB). If Sprint would get in the game and offer a Bluetooth -- or even infrared -- option, it'd all be a moot point!

So, I miss the Sanyo's reception, but unless the LG becomes unworkable in the next 28 days, I guess I've settled on a phone. [​IMG]

13. braids

braids New Member

Well, I took the plunge and traded in my Sanyo 4900 for the LG 5350. This was a mistake. I already knew that the Sanyo had better signal reception, but it is significantly better than the 5350. I was told that the 5350 had a better reception than the Samsung. If this is true, then I hate to see the samsung in action.

I bought the 5350 because the Sanyo did not work well in basement of my house (but yet worked terrific in other people's basement) and since the 5350 had more anemities, it would be worth the switch. Plus, the sprint rep in my town said that the reception is just a little better on the 4900, but that was a lie. As soon as I walked in my house, the phone beeped saying leaving service area. "What the hell?!?!?", I was saying to myself. The sanyo had 4 bars in this part of the house. The best I could get was just one bar on the LG.

Besides that, the phone is nice. I couldn't use the phone at certain places in my school, but I got of nice complements. The display is way better than the 4900, the web browser works faster, the ringer sounds clearer, and the phone is flip-phone. But after "working" with the phone I realized that I forgot the main reason I bought a cellphone to begin with, to communicate. I love all the bells and whistles of the phone, but a phone was designed to be able to talk to someone. I can't do that if I don't get a signal. It seems that both Samsung and LG forgot about this little concept.

If you live in a area where you always get full strength on your phone, this phone is terrific. If you live in an area where it fluxuates depending on what you are doing or where you are going, think about it before you buy it. I am going to take this phone back and get the ol' reliable 4900. It may not sparkle like the others, but at least I can say that I can actually use it.

14. ScandaLEX

ScandaLEX Senior Member

When I signed up with Sprint, my very first phone was the Samsung 3500. I dont think there is a word in the dictionary that could describe how pitiful this phone is. I got rid of it faster than you can say "be afraid!"

A friend of mine called Sprint because her phone would loose it's signal no sooner than she pulled in her driveway. Once entering the house, forget it; signal strength was pratically null and void; and if she had the good fortune to pick up a signal, well she had to stand as still as a statue, cause one intake of breath and the signal was gone.

Any rep stating that the reception of the 4900 is only a little better needs to be kicked. The reception of the 5350 is not even in the same ballpark as the 4900!

I agree with you here; the browser on the 5350 does appear to be faster than the 4900. Wonder if Sprint can make the 4900's browser any faster? [​IMG]
    It would also be nice if manufacturers, (other than Sanyo; who already do this), make batteries that can handle talk time beyond 3 hours without having to immediately go out and purchase an extended battery.

15. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

Sprint reps are not really allowed to say a certain phone is significantly better than another. When on the job, they are suppose to say "its only a little better" and all of our phones are quality. Just thought you might like to know why they told you that he..he. I on the other hand, use to spend up to 30 minutes per customer, persuading them to not buy the samsung they already set their minds on. I almost "force" them to buy the sanyos. Bad business practice, but at least i wont have to hear them complain a few weeks/months down the road.

The thing is, if you tell someone that the phone they have decided on is not good, then that could be the reason they go to another provider because they also had a phone the ootential customer liked. And they were basing their service provider decision strictly on phones.