Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My new Sprint RAZR v3m... please help me out.

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by davidjames, Nov 24, 2006.

1. davidjames

davidjames New Member

Hi Guys, I'm brand new and joined this forum to try to get this question answered..

Ok first let me say that I'm brand new to all of this and I don't now what seem editing means or any of that stuff.. so please be gentle. haha. :)

Here is my question: Can I get my own custom ringtones on my new sprint razr v3m? I can connect my phone to a pc using a USB cable that I found, and I downloaded p2kcommander and p2kman.. although I have no idea what these things are, I just seem to find these in every forum that I check.. So I downloaded these programs.. but am scared to death to use them because I don't want to go in there clicking around and kill my phone.

If I downloaded Motorala phone tools, will it work with my phone? Again, I don't know what that program is.. but I hear alot about that too.

The only reason that I got a razor is because the ring tones on it sound awesome!

Oh and another question.. the ringtones that were already in the phone when I bought it sound GREAT... but the one I downloaded from Sprint sounds REALLY CRAPPY.. I called sprints tech support.. but they couldn't / didn't help me at ALL. I'm reading through this forum and you guys seem nice and seem to know exactly what you're doing with these things.

Thanks in advance guys.

David

2. davidjames

davidjames New Member

I figured it out.. now it works flawlessly with MPT.

3. Cincyball

Cincyball Issss a niiiiice. High 5!

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    David, would you mind just giving a re-cap of what you did/ how u did it so others with the Sprint V3M can have some answers? Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jtudor

jtudor New Member

My Phone:
    Sprint RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Please let us know...I basically figured everything out except when I transfer ringtones, they show up in my phone, but they won't play what so ever...

5. davidjames

davidjames New Member

Alright.. to the best of my ability I'll recap exactly what I did.

First I updated my phone to the newest software, using motorola software update from the motorola site.. then I did a hard re-boot, (I unplugged my battery for a good 30 seconds).. I don't know if that made a difference or not.. but I heard that sometimes when the update doesn't show up, you can do that, then it will show up.

Then I downloaded Motorola Phone Tools... NOW THIS PART SEEMS TO BE IMPORTANT: Before you plug your phone in or anything, go to start / programs/ motorola.... / and in that folder there will be a LIVE UPDATE button.. click that!! I don't think it will find your phone until you do that. For me, it came up with two downloads.. And I couldn't even see these downloads that I needed until I went through the start menu / programs.. live update... I tried to download it but it kept stopping after it hit 1.93 megs complete, and saying that the server was too busy.. so I searched for this error and read something about a firewall, and something about antivirus software on your computer could be causing this issue.. I was at a computer at my work.. So I went to my brothers house where there would be no Firewall issues.

Now I'm at a different computer and I install it on this computer as well.. again.. I didn't plug my phone in.. I went STRAIGHT to start / programs / motorola... ect/ and to this LIVE UPDATE.. this time it worked perfectly.. it installed the two updates, and then it worked perfect.. I plugged in my phone once the updates were done, and it started finding all kinds of drivers for my sprint v3m.. so I just sat there with my fingers crossed.. then It completed.. then it worked.

I transfered an .mp3 ringer from my computer into my phone and it worked amazingly, and very fast.. and it sounds great! I was soo pumped.. so then I started chopping songs in iTunes and making them mp3's.. (which you can aslo do in iTunes).. then I put those songs into my phone also and it works great.. and they really sound good.

As far as the other question, about the mp3 going into your phone but not playing.. I ran into a few mp3's that I would have that problem with also, are you using any programs to get you mp3's? can you give me some more details, If we're using the same programs to make our mp3's then I can walk you through how to fix that issue also.

I hope this helps everyone.. if there is ANYTHING that I'm not being clear about let me know.. it was really frustrating for me while it wouldn't work, and now that It does I'd be really happy you help you guys out too!! Let me know!

6. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    MPT - Motorola Phone Tools
    MSU - Motorola Software Updater

Thanks for the info. The reason you had to live update is because is because the newest version of MPT (4.36) is designed for the Sprint V3M. When you buy MPT chances are it is version 4.0 or 4.21a, nether of whcih contain the correct drivers for the Sprint V3M.

My question for you is, were you able to connect your phone to your computer before using ANY programs, such as MSU or MPT or anything like that? I was helping someone before, and no matter what he tried, he couldnt charge his phone until he installed and ran MSU. As soon as doing this, he had the correct drivers. Im not sure MSU updated anything on YOUR phone, I think it just installed the necessary drivers. MSU is designed for European phones where they can be updated w/ that program. US models dont have any update capabilities. In can be deceiving b/c when u connect it, it says its updating, but in actuality, it is just live updating the program version. Id like to go thru a few scenarios if you wouldnt mind:

1) Connect your phone with no programs open. Does it charge? If so, go into Device Manager and see if it says Motorola USB Modem. If so, double click it and go into the Driver tab, and check the date of the driver.

2) With the phone connected, run MSU and then go into Device Manager. Motorola USB Modem should be gone, and it should be in as Motorola USB Device. If you expand it, it should appear with 3 sub-categories: Accessories Interface, Data Logging MCU Interface, Test Command Interface.

3) When MSU is connected to your phone, does it show your ESN, and show N/A for the Model Number & Carrier?

4) Did you do any seem edits to your phone to get it connected to MPT or to be able to transfer thru USB?

5) Are there any othr programs you have used or have tried? BitPim? P2kCommander? P2kSeem?

Sorry for all the questions, but there isnt much info floating around as Im sure you know, so it would be nice to have this info for other Sprint v3m owners ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mrchmckc

mrchmckc New Member

Cincy, Thanks for all your posts and help. I did try the drivers that you suggested befor using MSU & MPT and I could not see anything. I then purchesed The MPT. I did the live update. I'm on Version 4.3.6c ( note I tried at work and had the Firewall problem I had to do it from my Home internet connection.) Now everything works great!

I can update Contacts, Calendar. Copy Files MP3s, Ring Tones, Pictures.

8. MotoGenius

MotoGenius New Member

Okay So I called Motorola... Their agents say that Motorola Phone Tools is not supported for Sprint phones at this time. Apparently Sprint hasn't given the OK on it being compatible. Seemed like the never said it wasn't compatible just that it wasn't supported. So I too took a risk and purchased MPT 4.0. Then did the live update and it downloaded the 4.21 and 4.36 updates. After the downloads were complete I had to shut down MPT again and then restart it before I could successfully get the Updates to install. If you finish the download and then click the install link it does nothing.

Anyway, it looks like you can use .m4a and .mp3 files as ringtones using MPT. As far as transferring information to the phone the only way I have gotten it to work is to put the empty microSD Transflash card into the phone and to start the Music player one time, Clicked the Player tab and then "All My Music". Then after that I hooked the phone up to MPT and transferred the files in to the MMC directory then the "Music" folder or put it in my Card adapter then reader and put the music (.mp3 or .m4a) files in the "Music" folder. After that I went back to the music player and then clicked "all my music" again and it populated all of my songs.

By talking to the Motorola Agent they said that songs with titles longer than 49 characters won't be seen by the phone so make sure you have short file names. If you rip mp3's from Windows Media Player it can give you ungodly long names. Unecessary in my mind as the information seems to be inbedded into the song anyway somehow.

As far as using MPT and syncing calendar and contacts. That seems to have some bugs. Easy to put the contacts from phone into Outlook but had some troubles doing the reverse. When I tried to save the contacts to the phone it didn't stick. I'd like to get that working.

Overall the Motorola agents were awesome. I think they'll get things ironed out in the near future. Sure there have been some bugs I'm sure with some people's phones. Mine flies! No problems yet. They told me software updates should be available in the near future. Check back I'll post the link when I get it.

9. Rare Blue Monkey

Rare Blue Monkey New Member

I own the Sprint V3m and was just about finished reading the thread, when I saw this. Now I am confused again. If I go through the steps spelled out by davidjames, will it work on my Sprint phone?

Sorry for bringing this full circle, but I don't want to buy MPT if I'm not sure.

THX

10. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  11. tonyishood

tonyishood New Member

I followed all of the instructions and get my phone to connect perfectly.

Now I need to know what format of ringtone to use in order to assign them as ringtones.

Currently using 64bps MONO .mp3's. What folder do I put them in to use them?

Thanks

12. tonyishood

tonyishood New Member

ALSO...It is the Sprint Gunmetal V3M. I can transfer files to my microSD, and put them in the AUDIO folder...but as I said I cannot use them as ringers.

Any clue why?

13. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I forget how the Sprint file system is set up, but they go in the shared/audio folder or something similar. As for the quality, I just use what MPT sets as default.

Ringtones and pictures used as caller id MUST be stored on the phones memory. Why? What if u have all of your active ringers on ur card and took ur card out, then ur phone rang...what do u think would happen when it looked for the files on the missing card? ;)

14. VWgrubber

VWgrubber New Member

Hi, I have been reading all of these posts and I am still confused. I finally got all of the MPT's updates downloaded and my Spring Razor is finally being recognized by my MPT. I only have the options to "Synchronoziation", "Phonebook", "Calendar", "Text Message", "Internet Connection". I cant seem to find a Multimedia Center. The only real reason why I am trying this is so that I can start making my own ringtones, send my pictures from my phone, etc. Does anybody know how I can possibly get my Multimedia Center onto my MPT's. PLEASE, somebody help!

15. wvfishman

wvfishman New Member

Did you update your phone software? Mine did the same thing until i did the seem edit... but once you update your phone no edits are required for the sprints phone.. Once you update your phone to 37 everything will work correctly.

Phone Info-->Version 24.2_00.35.00R
    I see that the latest that most are posting are 24.2_00.37.00R

16. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yea, wv is right.

Update your phone software. Then it should be seen by MPT. Note: If you did a seem edit to turn ur phone to V3MM, your phone wont be able to update its software, so u will need to undo that seem edit.

Let us know if u cant get it to work.

17. VWgrubber

VWgrubber New Member

Thanks for the quick response guys, I really appreciate it. I'm an extreme newbie to this though so I'm gonna need to take babysteps. How do I go about updated my phone so that MPT's will give me Multimedia Center?

18. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In your phone, go to something like Menu -> Software -> Update... I dont have the sprint v3m, so I dont know exactly where it is in the phone, but u just do it over the air, no cables needed from what I understand.

19. VWgrubber

VWgrubber New Member

WOW, works!! Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

20. arebagirl

arebagirl New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I first want to thank everyone who has helped in posting the "how to's" of adding ringtones and MPT and MSU. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to listen mp3s from your Micro SD card after it is added to your phone? I am able to now add mp3s with the MPT as ringers but I am not sure how much internal memory I have and would like to save songs on my Micro SD card, which I have already added them in mp3 form I had read elsewhere that with Verizon it had to be saved as WMA I also tried this format and it didn't work so I am assuming Sprint is different in this regard, but I cannot figure out where to listen to them.

TIA!

21. arebagirl

arebagirl New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ok I figured out how to listen to mp3s using a Micro SD card. I got an SD reader (I got mine for like $4 at Amazon.com called the Sandisk Mobilemate) I removed the Micro SD card from the phone and added to the reader and connected it to the computer. I simply went to Windows Explorer and found the F: drive and opened it up and then opened the music file. I then dragged mp3 songs to this file from my different music folders. I then added the Micro SD card back into the phone and selected Music, Player, and All My Music. Walah! there it was! Just thought this might help someone!

also couple more questions... in my Device Manager it shows Motorola USB Modem. Does this need to say Motorola USB Device? I cannot figure out how to run MSU if this needs to be changed since there is not a Sprint carrier option on Motorola's website. Also I cannot use the song I added to my phone for a ringtone it will not play and I can't figure out where to delete it. I tried using the MPT to edit the songs on my phone but it says it cannot connect to my phone.

#21 arebagirl, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  22. rickgtx

rickgtx New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hi, I updated my Sprint V3m to 24.2_00.37.00R with MSU. Now my Sprint Power Vision Media Player does not work. I get "Application Error".

Do you have 24.2_00.37.00R working?

Thanks,
    Rick

23. rickgtx

rickgtx New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    :) Problem solved. Not the 24.2_00.37.00R update, but the SEEM edits at http://www.motov3m.com/tiki-index.php?page=SEEM caused a problem. I did both at the same time. You CANNOT backout of a MSU update but you change the SEEM edits back to the original if you save them first.

24. rickgtx

rickgtx New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Has anyone got the the Sprint V3m to act as a data modem without the Sprint data plan as described in http://www.motov3m.com/tiki-index.php?page=MPTConnect ?

On MPT, I get Error 678 The 1xRTT connection could not be established. On the phone I get Error #67 Registration failed and to check my Power Vision ID and password. All other Power Vision functions work OK.

25. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Rick, there is a seem edit for 1xrtt data transfer. Check to make sure that this seem edit is enabled:

Seem 2742, Record 1, Bytes 0, Offset 006a, Bit 3 - Check to ON to enable 1xRTT

26. rickgtx

rickgtx New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Hi Cincyball, Thanks for the reply. Bit 3 was already checked on. Maybe I should try with it off. I'm concerned the SEEM edits for Verizon's V3m do not work for Sprints V3m. Also, I have updated to 24.2_00.37.00R if that makes a difference.

27. Cincyball

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    A seem edit isnt technically phone specific. It might vary slightly bewteen phones, but if u looked and it was bit 4 instead of bit 3 for example, it would still be ok to check it on/off. It might be that some do and some dont work, but the theory is still the same.

You can try turning it off, but it will still present the same prob i bet. The other thing is, and i will attach the link, you will need to set your comp up to dial out by using ur cell. It is called Dial Up Networking (DUN). Here is a tutorial for the verizon v3m, im sure it might be a lil different for sprint, but it should shed a little light as to how it is done with our phones. Im sorry, i just dont have a sprint v3m to be able to test these things out with...

http://www.hacktherazr.com/guide.razr.net.html

28. hankster

hankster New Member

Hey dude, you are indeed the MAN! I've been trying to get this contraption working for almost a week; it was your suggestion to go to / programs / motorola... ect/ and do the LIVE UPDATE that enabled me to FINALLY install the 4.36 update. Once I did that....BINGO. IT was a great pleasure to finally be able to transfer back and forth the phone/pc. Thanks a million.

Hank

29. Rustman

Rustman New Member

I used audacity to splice songs and used LAME to export the spliced song to a folder. Now I was able to put it on my phone using Free Mobile Uploader. The problem I have is that it's not free since it costs me 15 cents everytime i receive or send text messages. Is there a way I can upload the mp3 that i created to my phone without having to text it to myself? Maybe using a USB cable? Thanks

30. mark23290

mark23290 New Member

Hi everyone sorry if this has been answered elseware but I can not find any help.
    I have a Razor V3m from sprint and motorola phone tools newest version. I was able to transfer a couple mp3 files, now when I try to do the same thing again I get this message request denied by phone internal error ox50.
    Yesterday it had a different message said something about error ox4d.

All I want to do is transfer some pictures and ringtones and music without all the hassels. PLEASE HELP ME