Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My life as a Cord Cutter...

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by Jay2TheRescue, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    So late in 2016 I had decided I was done with Comcast. Poor service, constant repair calls, and a bill that keeps going up and up. TV would pixelate every time it rained, and the internet was so slow it could barely stream a movie on Netflix. Under normal circumstances, when the bill would jack up we would call, and they would lower the bill to a reasonable amount again. So, late in 2016 our bill jacked up to over $200/mo for internet that could barely support Netflix, and no premium channels on TV. I called and was informed that I "Was already on the cheapest plan". I began shopping.

I ended up signing up with FIOS for 50 mbps internet for $50/mo. I purchased an Amazon FireTV box, Amazon Prime Video, and signed up for DirectTV NOW. I got in on the $35 introductory promo, so I was under $100/mo. I loved my internet now, but still had problems with the TV. Constant buffering problems, and DirectTV NOW's on demand offerings were slim, and usually didn't play properly. I'd have problems, spend time on tech support online chat, and still didn't have my problems solved in most instances. The final straw was when I was trying to watch the season finale of The Walking Dead. We had guests over for the viewing party, and it buffered so much, it was unwatchable.

I went shopping for another streaming TV provider. I settled on Sling after reading online reviews. I liked that I was able to select which channels I wanted, and didn't have to pay for the kids or sports channels that I didn't want. Sling also has a cloud DVR, which was a plus. My package with Sling, after I signed up for DVR and the channels I wanted was $45/mo, which was roughly what I was paying with Direct TV NOW, but now, the on demand works, I almost never have buffering problems, but I was still clamoring for all of my locals.

I was in a thrift store, and found a new in the box long range rooftop antenna... and it was 50% off day, so I took it home for $25. I put the antenna in my attic, and connected it to the old Comcast distribution box on the side of the house, sending the signal to all of the TV's. So, I have my locals, but no guide, and switching inputs to watch them. I lived with it for a while like this, but kept looking for options. Bringing up a guide online worked, but having to pull the laptop out to figure out what was on TV wasn't convenient.

Enter the AirTV 2 box. I ordered one online, and it arrived the other day. My TV experience has been greatly elevated. You hook it up to your antenna, and your home internet (either WiFi or ethernet). It has two tuners, and can support two streams... one of which can be anywhere in the world you have an internet connection. It also integrates with Sling, so the Sling guide now shows my Sling channels, and my OTA locals, all in one spot. Also, the convenience of no longer having to run cables where you want a TV installed... priceless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri, JFB, dmapr and 1 other person like this.
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    You're lucky to have that FIOS option / competition. I think if I cancelled everything but internet, my bill would still be at least $80/month before taxes. I also installed an antenna in the attic -- it works great but I don't use it much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jay2TheRescue likes this.
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, I love the FIOS option. My dad is very jealous. Where he lives the only "broadband" option is DSL, and the DSL he gets is so slow, the only good thing I can say about it, is that it is faster than dialup. Not many options when you're 12 miles from the Central Office.