Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My GSM Galaxy Nexus Saga

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jul 30, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The idea of getting back into an unlocked and unbranded device is always appealing to me but has been cost prohibit until now.

Last week a great chance came when a forumite friend sold his for a fabulous price I promptly got it. It arrived on a Friday, together with an OEM extended battery and a case. He had also included a micro SIM adapter which was very helpful since I have misplaced mine somewhere.

The device was in mint condition btw, thanks :).

I promptly started using it and through the weekend, all the reason I hated Android and all the reason I liked Android, kept fighting in my head, giving me a headache. LOL.

Eventually Sunday night the GNex lost to my Lumia, the two or three apps that I missed were not enough for me to go back to Android.

I had read rave reviews of how smooth and fast the GNex was with Jellybean (which this device had), and was really looking forward to it. I found it to be marginally smoother than my Vivid with ICS and not any faster. Hands down my Lumia is way more smooth and polished, the data speeds were lower as well and I am not in an LTE area so the lack of LTE on the GNEX was not a factor. I had expected that the phone part of my Nokia would be much superior than the Samsung's and it was,

I didn't want to give it up, so I decided to talk my husband into trying the GNex for a week giving up his beloved 6+ year old Nokia (another hand me down).

I have to admit, he honestly tried very hard to get used to it but for someone who uses the phone for mostly phone calls (oh wow, there still are people like this? :D), the Gnex not only did not offer any advantage but on the contrary making or receiving a phone call took way more steps than it does on the 6131. He also sounded a lot less clear on the GNex than on his "Old Faithful".

To make a long story short, I re sold the GNex, I am far too spoilt by the fluid and stylish OS of the Windows Phone and the reception, call quality, battery life of the Nokia to go back to an Android. Looking forward to WP and Nokia's next contribution.

Just wanted to share. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 charlyee, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Thanks for the review Charlyee. I'm glad to see that you are really enjoying the WP7/Nokia experience. I'm kind of surprised why more people aren't adopting it :confused: I've been tempted myself to have a go at it, but the deal-breaker for me is that they don't have a phone with a slider keyboard right now. The Moto Droid series of phones is perfect for me and I've been very happy with them and the freedom of Android. But if Nokia came out with a nice WinPhone with a slider keyboard, I'd be real tempted to get it, mainly to see what WP is all about, but also the quality Nokia hardware (not that my Motos hardware is in any way bad!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Thanks for the comparison...I'm sure your thoughts will encourage people to take a 2nd look at Nokia's WP devices.