Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My first impressions of the HTC (at&t) Tilt

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by Jay2TheRescue, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Does the Tilt support a 6 gig card? The reason I bought the 4 gig card is because I thought that was the maximum capacity it would support.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Jay, I tried finding the test field in my Tilt, but can't find it anywhere. Can you post the exact steps that you took to get into this menu, so I can see if I have it in mine? Thanks.

3. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Go to file explorer then explore the My Device/Windows directory. You will see Fieldtest.exe.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Thanks Jay. I went under this, and I don't see it listed as an option at all. It should come just before the "filesys.exe.04", but it is not there. Is it possible that it has been disabled on mine, and that's why it isn't showing up? :confused:

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ellen, do you have "Show All Files" checked in the menu option of the File Explorer? If not, select this and the FieldTest should show up exactly where you said it should.

Please let me know if this worked. :)

6. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Jay, thank you for letting me know where the "Test Field" was located. :)

Charlyee ,Thank you very much :) After I checked "Show all files" as you said, I was able to find the Test field......Do you know if -99 RX power is good for 3G service? That is what I am seeing in this menu. Also, do you know if it is possible to set a PDA device on 2G service only, like you can on the GSM LG's without having to hack it? .......Thanks in advance for your help.
    LOL, I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of files that I saw in this little device.

7. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    From what I have heard most of the newer HTC PDAs can use the new 8GB cards. The reason they only say for is that was the biggest card out when the manuals were printed. :)

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    In my experience you do not have any problems until you are down to at least -105 db. Remember that when looking at a signal the ratings are in negative decibels. Anything that is -1 to -99 should be well in the good range. The closer to zero the number is, the stronger the signal, so -50 db is a stronger signal than -80 db. Also to note is that decibels are exponential. If I remember correctly a movement of 3 decibels is twice as much. So -50 db is twice as strong as -53 db. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).

-Jay

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I would have bought an 8 gb card if I knew it would support it... The manual said 4gb though, so that's what I bought.

Damn.:banghead:

-Jay

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Where's the U! This what happens when your sick, have 14 hour days, and live in Tardville. :eek: :D

11. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ellen, I am glad it worked. :)

About setting a PDA device to 2G only, it depends on the device. On my Treo it is a regular option under settings. Unfortunately on the Tilt, at&t seems to have disabled the option. There is an after market bandswitch program that will allow you to do this. I have not used it personally but people who have say it does work well.

I am not convinced that the FieldTest works properly in the 3G mode. I also get -99dbm on all the cells irrespective of where I am. If I set my Treo to GSM only, the readings vary from -64 to -91, that would be more like it than the steady -99 everywhere.

Hope this helped a little. :)

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I tried Bandswitch, but I have found a better program to control it. I now have uninstalled Bandswitch and I use a program called Advanced Configuration Tool. Under the Comm manager tab I added Button 10 and selected "3G" as the function. Now when I open the Communications Manager button 10 says 3G. If I press it the 3G turns off, and the phone goes to GSM mode.

You are right about 3G mode and Field Test though, It doesn't seem to work quite right in 3G mode, but it does work perfectly in GSM mode.

-Jay

13. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Jay and Charlyee, thank you both for the additional information. I'm going to wait until I'm past the 30 day trial period with the Tilt until I try any downloads with it.

14. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Just an update for everyone. The replacement ProClip came in and went in perfectly. The phone is held securely on the dashboard. I really like the ProClip as it is the only mobile charging cradle I found for the Tilt, and on top of that it supports the phone either open or closed in landscape or portrait orientation. I've also found that I don't have to plug in the phone at night anymore. The charging the phone gets in the little driving I do daily is enough to keep the battery charged. This has enhanced my mobile GPS experience immensely. The only drawback was the cost. By the time I bought the cradle and the vehicle mount it was about $100, but considering its the only one I found that had the charger built in, and the only one I found that supported it with either the keyboard open or closed I feel it is well worth the extra expense over a cheap universal PDA mount.

-Jay

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Another update: Since I've gotten the Tilt...

* I've removed the AT&T bloatware that was all over the place

* I remapped the PTT button so I could use it for other applications (I set it so a quick press activates voice dialing, a long press brings up the on screen dialpad)

* HSDPA is enabled.

* I reskinned the dialpad to a skin that was more friendly to dialing with my big fingers.

* I Installed Opera Mini 4 as an alternate browser to PIE.

* Of course I have TomTom Navigator 6 installed.

* Google Maps installed.

* Added a 3G on/off button to the Comm Manager.

* Installed wmWiFiRouter so I can teather over WiFi.

* Installed Windows Live search. (Fantastic application)

All this, and this is what I have left in terms of memory (in mb):

Storage:
    Total: 125.04
    In use: 20.22
    FREE: 104.82

Program:
    Total: 101.38
    In use: 29.69
    FREE: 71.69

I'd reskin the Today screen, but I haven't seen a skin that I really like. I'm staying on the lookout for a skin though...

-Jay

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Here are some pics of the Tilt in action installed in my truck.

-Jay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Another mod!!! I installed the large start menu so I could navigate the start menu with my fingers, no stylus required.

-Jay

18. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Are you sure you aren't getting royalties from HTC & AT&T for marketing the Tilt :deal: <--- Just sign here.....

Ok really I'm going to the AT&T store after work just to touch one :loony:

19. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Nice pics Jay. How accurate has the Navigator been for you, on your Tilt? Never tried it on the one that I had, and I'm curious as to how it is compared to the VZ Navigator. If you make a wrong turn, does it recalculate the route for you quickly enough? Thanks.

20. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No, I'm just that happy with the phone... Today I tried out a new "Today" screen. I think I like it...

I've been averageing at least 2 mods a day lately...

-Jay

21. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I use TomTom Navigator 6, Its usually extremely accurate. Once it showed me traveling through the great lakes and Canada at like 300 mph, and then went to normal after 2 minutes. I think that may have had to do with some type of interference with the receiver. and it recalculates fast. It usually doesn't take more than a second or 2 to decide on a new route once it realizes you've missed a turn.

-Jay

22. Ellen

Ellen Guest

That's cool. Sounds like it's about the same amount of time as the VZ Navigator takes.

23. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey Jay,

In regards an Unlocked Tilt with front VGA camera - Is there any software or MOD that you are aware of if one were to purchase an unlocked version would have an additional kool factor?

24. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The front camera is for video calling, and the units shipped to AT&T have a different keyboard layout. That's the difference. The mods & hacks are interchangeable, except if you flash a Tilt with a TyTn II cooked ROM then you need to reinstall the AT&T keyboard drivers.

-Jay

25. libove

libove New Member

AT&T Tilt vs HTC TyTn II differences?

Hi Jay2TheRescue - thanks so much for all of your information about the Tilt!

Has your research uncovered any other details of the differences between the AT&T Tilt version of the device and the original HTC TyTn II version of the device, other than AT&T having removed from second camera, and the AT&T branding in the firmware?

Thanks!
    another Jay :)

26. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Re: AT&T Tilt vs HTC TyTn II differences?

The only other difference I've found hardware-wise is that the units shipped to AT&T have a different keyboard from all the other Kaiser variants. The rest is the AT&T bloatware, which I'm proud to say that mine is 100% bloatware free. The AT&T units are shipped with HSDPA disabled, so you are capped at UMTS speeds unless you hack the phone, but that is a very easy hack to preform.

-Jay

27. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Jay, a friend of mine at work just bought the HTC TyTN 8525, and plans on using TomTom with it. She asked me to find out if this program will use a large amount of data. When you have this running, does it use data, or minutes at all?
    She doesn't plan on getting any data plan with her new phone, so I warned her ahead of time to beware of anything that would rack up data charges.

28. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    TomTom dosent use any data at all. It is all based on an SD card.

29. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Thanks Yankees. :) Sounds like it will be OK for her, provided that she stays away from the web browser...... I don't think, I would use a smartphone without a data plan anyway.

30. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You can disable data in TomTom. If you allow it to, Tom Tom will go on the internet every few minutes and check for traffic and weather updates. I used my old iPAQ as a standalone GPS before with no SIM card in it at all, so it is not required, except for advanced features.

-jay