Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My experience with Alltel fees...

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by markuhde, Mar 15, 2010.

1. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Hi, I filed a complaint with the FCC about 911 and deaf surcharge fees on my data card line. They make the data card significantly more expensive than I expected (several dollars a month on a product whose value I already questioned). Anyway, here's my blog about the response I got from Alltel:

Mark's World: 911 On A Data Card?

To make a long story short, it amounted to being told that that's the way it is, and that if I don't like it I should write to my representatives to get the fees banned.

What does everyone here think of that attitude? Is it just the new norm for ALL carriers regarding fees? I mean, fees are bad enough - but fees for a service they aren't actually providing (like 911 on a data card!) seem over-the-top!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

The carriers are charged these fees by governmental agencies. They either have to pay them FOR you or pass the cost TO you; what would you do if YOU were the company? Pay MILLIONS of dollars/month for your customers or make them pay it themselves?

So, my final though with your pursuit: Good luck with that.

3. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Sorry bryan,

1. Regarding the E911 fee and the Regulatory and Admin fee - those are NOT fees charged by governmental agencies. They're bogus fees made up by Alltel (and other carriers to sound official).

2. Regarding the State/Local 911 Fee - that is a government fee, but there is no reason it should apply to a data card which, by definition, has no access to 911 service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I can see your point. But on the other hand, the data card uses the same network that the phones do, so I guess they just add the fee flatly to all devices that access the network. The $ to run the e911 location service has to come from somewhere. The govt mandates the carriers have to have it, but they don't give any $ to them to build it. So they pass the buck to you. That's how the game is played ;)

If you don't like the $1 fee added to your data card, you can complain about it, and maybe a politician somewhere will get enough complaints, and the tax will be removed from data cards. Then you'll see no more $1 fee on the data card, but a $2 fee on your phone. Why? because the $ has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is you... one way or another ;)

PS- I have a Tour and I like it. Sounds like you got some buggy software or battery or something...

5. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

I just restored my BlackBerry Tour WITHOUT doing a backup like I have every other time. It works MUCH better now. Like, 20 times faster - at least. A Facebook friend list refresh takes under a minute (vs 10-15 minutes and failing most of the time). Google Voice loads, and does so quickly. Etc... Only thing that still doesn't work is Google Maps GPS

6. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Glad you found the problem. The HTTP connection on my Tour can be a little buggy sometimes. But a battery pull usually clears it up.

For the GPS: my Tour is Verizon branded (but I only use it for GSM). Verizon locks the GPS to only signed apps (even loading a OS from Sprint didn't help with that, I guess it's locked somewhere deeper down). Anyway, I just made an app that shows all your cellular info, including GPS (it's also signed by RIM, so it works with Verizon phones) you can download directly on your BB browser here cellumap.com/ota See if you can get a GPS lock on that (as for the rest of the app, you can click on the link in my sig)

7. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Yup, thanks for the app and I got a GPS lock almost instantly with it.

8. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

P.S. Playing with your toy a bit - cool, but not nearly adequate data to be useful as of yet. I'm ready to help you at least map out some of the highways this weekend. Expect a lot more data points :) Now to get other people on their parts of the world...

1 person likes this.
  9. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Great, glad you like it :) Yea, the more people that use it, the better it will become. So get out there and start using it ;) Right now you have to push the button to make each point, but soon I'll have a version that will do it automatically based on distance (maybe in a couple of weeks). Oh, just remember tho, as with any GPS app, it's a battery hog, so don't leave it running too long, or otherwise keep your charger nearby ;)

...did you manage to get Google Maps working? Some operators may block it, because they want to sell their own navigation services, I don't know about Alltel tho (anyway, they will be Verizon soon, right?) Oh, and yea, the GPS chip in the Tour is really good. Alot quicker lock than my Nokia N95 and BB 8310. Altho the accuracy seems a little off. It says it's like within 5 meters accuracy when I know it's really off by more like 20 or 30 meters...

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    RR: That software looks like a neat thing to play with. Any plans on releasing a Windows Mobile version?

11. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Thanks :) I first made the Symbian version last summer, and just released the BlackBerry version this month (BB vers has frequency info, so it's more interesting). Once I finish tweaking that, I'm gonna start on an Android version. But by the time that's ready (summer?) you'll have already traded in your WM's for Androids so you'll be all good to go :D

...actually, I did buy a used BlackJack II last year with the intention of making a WM version, but since then I've been focusing on BB and Android (..I hate that phone, not sure if it's cuz it's Sammy or the WM, or both...). If my work forces a WM device on me, I may look back into making a WM app ....but that won't be till the end of this year...if at all...I'd reccomend to go with the Android version when it's ready