Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My current plan - can I do better elsewhere?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Scrumhalf, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Right now, I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T.

It has 500 shared minutes (unlimited m2m within the AT&T network of course) with rollover, unlimited text and unlimited data. I have 2 smartphone (data) lines for my wife and myself and 1 voice/text-only line for my son. Total monthly comes to roughly $135 or so if I remember right.

I am wondering if I can do better if I give up this plan. Problem is that my wife and I definitely use our data - we are typically close to or over 10GB per month. I looked at the mobile share plans at AT&T and the cost for 10GB is $100 plus a device access charge of $40/mo for each smart phone and $15/mo for each regular phone. So, the mobile shareplan would cost me $195 at least unless I am misunderstanding something.

On T-Mobile, I can get 5GB per line for the first two lines and 2GB for the 3rd line for $140, or basically the same as I am paying today.

So basically, I am not sure there are better deals out there than what I am paying today. Am I reading these incorrectly or missing something? It seems like the unlimited data plan I have today is my best option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Your deal with ATT sounds like one I wish I had. I just upgraded my 10Gb plan to 15 (no extra charge). I have 2 phones and two hotspots. Wife just upgraded her phone under the Next 18-month plan adding an extra $34/month. My total cost 210/month. Before the upgrade it was $176/month.

So basically, 15GB/month, unlimited talk & text. 4 devices. $176/month (not counting the equipment upgrade)

If you uncertain if you are computing your prospective new costs with ATT correctly, try either an online chart, or call 611, or go to your local retail outlet. Ask them what the cost would be.

Regarding T-Mobile or any other carrier.... Talk with your acquaintances (family, neighbors, friends, workmates) and find out who they have and how good their service is. (Voice and data). Does no good to get a great price if you have no coverage. Many of my acquaintances here in the Central Valley (North CA) all complain against T-Mobile and Sprint. The only two good carriers here are Verizon & AT&T.

#2 KevinJames, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Hmm.. I've got to watch this more carefully. I stream stuff nonstop and haven't seen a dramatic issue, but not 100% sure.

And yes, I've been pretty happy with AT&T coverage, which is why I have hesitated moving from it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...