Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My blackberry and airave do not like eachother

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ace41690, May 21, 2009.

1. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So long story short, my curve broke and i go a replacement. After goig thru absolute hell provisioning the new blackberry (there was a data network outage yesterday) the phone is finally working. However it is behaving odd with my airave. It does connect to the airave when i make a call, or get a call, or a text. But when the phone is just sitting there, my signal indicator shows a very weak signal(im assuming its the real network signal). My blackberry that just broke (same one, 8330) always showed five bars if i was near the airave, not just when i made a call. its like it only acknowledges the airave is there when im making a call. so i guess it doenst really matter because the phone is working/connected to the airave, but my signal doesnt show it unless im actually making a call. anyone have any ideas as to why???

2. fitzberry

fitzberry New Member

My Phone:
    curve 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    sprint
    call airwave: 866 556 7310

3. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Do you have a weak EV-DO signal from Sprint at your house? My phone usually picks up a bar of EV-DO and shows that on the signal indicator when the phone is not in use, but when I make a call or get a text, it is sent through the Airave and I show full 1x from the Airave.

4. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I do have a weak EV-DO signal. I just dont understand why my old blackberry would show the airave signal even with the EV present, it would say 1XEV with five bars, if the EV wasnt strong enough then it would just be 1X with full signal. This one seems to just show the outside EV signal even when it knows the 1X signal from the airave is there and full.

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have heard this problem come up many times on the forums regarding EVDO devices and the Airave. Some phones behave like that. It's normal.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Yes, Larry is right. Data intensive devices like blackberries and the Instinct simply don't play nice with the Airave.
    BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

7. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, normal behavior for the Treos in my house as well. It does not seem to affect anything or be a problem for us since it switches to the Airave for everything except EVDO.

8. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well thats all fine and well but I just dont understand why my last blackberry, which was the exact same model with the exact same blackberry OS did not do this. If an EV sig was present the EV would show but it would still have full bars from the 1X sig from the airave. It doesnt matter i guess. But i just thought it was weird.

9. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Different hardware or firmware version maybe?

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    On the two Curves in my house, one is an older model (ESN number version) and one is a newer model (MEID) version. Both behave the same way, both are running 4.5 OS. If I sit and stare at the BB it will display full bars and 1XEV or 1X, but it will go to zero bars and display 1XEV or full bars and 1X when actively transmitting data.