Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Review My Apple Watch Mini Review

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Jun 7, 2015.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My mini review of the space grey Apple Sports Watch. 38 mm size with black sports band, which I have had for 5 days now.

I wasn't the first adopter on this one. Some friends were, however. My lifestyle has changed, and being less in the hustle of work than before (no longer employed, retired), I wasn't convinced I needed this device.

I was wrong. At least for anyone that has gadget-geek blood in their veins. This is a very cool, well thought out and polished accessory to the iPhone. An iPhone is required to use the Apple Watch.

You can read long reviews and watch Apple's videos for a complete review. i'll just highlight some things that surprised me, or my reaction to it. Is it a must? Of course not. If you have a love for phones, technology, and new things, then it is something to have.

There are other smartwatches out there, before the Apple watch. But lets be honest. Most were developed and released after rumors were starting to fly that Apple was making one. There is a BIG difference rushing one to market, learning that Apple is making one: by the time the rumors leaked, Apple was probably engineering theirs for 5 years. This is a polished hardware within the Apple iOS eco System. There is no point arguing that Samsung or Android were first.

Some highlights:

First. It's a great device when you are doing almost anything to minimize the times you remove your phone from your pocket, purse or elsewhere to decide if a text, email, Instagram, tweet or other posting is important enough to look at your phone (you can read all or most of all the message from the watch).

So actually, it may be less useful for the power users, than the occasional smartphone addict. I don't know, just a thought, since I'm not a power user much anymore.

Second. its very useful when you are busy, with both hands, doing other things. Gardening, fishing (more later), cooking, other anything that may prevent you from wanting to remove your phone from a pocket or other room situation. Think movie theaters, biking, driving (egad!), snow skiing. YOU CAN MAKE CALLS WITH THIS THING! Not the first smartwatch to do so...but another useful feature for the iPhone eco system.

In all this, Siri plays a great part in the interaction. It seems much improved too, btw.

Third. It has an IXP7 water rating. That means up to 1 meter, full immersion for 30 minutes. Tim Cook showers with it, as does my friend. I don't. I like to clean my wrists. But it does mean to me that I can put my naked iPhone 6 in a ziplock bag, then inside my zip lock plastic pouch of my fishing vest, and use my Apple Watch to see iMessages from the wife, emails and make a phone call if necessary....all without expensing a LifeProof case, or risk dropping the phone in the river...while standing in the river fishing....I fly fish, btw.`

Fourth. The Activity Monitor (heart rate, walking, running, exercise) is done well. Compared to fit bit, which uses visible LEDS, the Apple Watch uses invisible LEDS (with visible back up) for a real professionally engineered product. It tells me to stand for some workout. It doesn't do sleep monitoring, like an Up or Fitbit, probably because the battery life is not long enough.

Fifth. Apps. Many, many apps are ready to give you alerts on the watch. Also the suite of apps that are part of the iOS are the same as what you would find on your phone. The watch faces are customizable to a large degree, more than the iPhone. It takes some time to figure out where all things are, but it makes sense in a bit of time. 'Hand-Off' works well, but I'm not using it much. Hand-Off let you finish a task from the Watch to iPhone (like a long text message). Most times, Siri can handle the job.

The stop watch is very cool and the soar system face too.

Speaking of Siri, one just says "hey Siri" and request a task, like set stop watch, call someone or make a message.

Battery Life. I get 18 hours, with some to spare. Right now it is 9 pm and I have 50% left since using the watch since 8:30 am today. Yesterday, I was at 25%. True, it is not going to last a week or even a few days, so one could say, what type of dumb watch is this? Good point. (break, my watch says I should stand for a minute, be right back...) Remember some cynics say that they never wear a watch anymore, and just use their phones.

The only thing about the Apple Watch being a watch...is that you wear it on your wrist...it is not really meant to be JUST a timepiece...it is sooo much more.

********It a communicator on your wrist.**********

View it as a tool. If you don't wear it 24/7 or even 18/7, fine. Use it when you're exercising, riding a bike, skiing, fishing, gardening, cooking or just walking around town (and use Maps to give turn by turn directions)...or in the winter and leave the phone in your pocket, and drop your phone less.

It's a great start to wearable accessories. And yes, I will still use my Rolex and other small watches. But so far, I'm wearing this everyday, and have not bumped it yet! Would I need this watch if my phone was on my desk at work all day? Maybe not at all. But my lifestyle is no longer the office, and I'm out and about much more today...so it is really neat to have!

Watch bands are very easy to remove. I find the Apple brands are over priced. Many third party ones are nicer and there is more variety. The included sports band is more comfortable than I felt while trying one on in the store.

In summary, I've owned the UP24 and Fitbit. This is the best' and a whole lot more, obviously. I like how it self calibrates using the iPhones GPS with the accelerometer on the watch.

Well, that is enough on my soap box. Mine was $349 and I viewed it as a sports watch. For $300 more to get SS and Sapphire, I didn't deem worth it at this point in time. I wanted something different than my low and high end watches I have already.

[​IMG]

My screen Protector

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 viewfly, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    palandri and charlyee like this.
  2. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    P.S.: JFB, I think you should pull the trigger...

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Did a measured indoor mile. Apple watch measured 1.1 mile. Haven't yet been outside to correctly let the GPS calibration take affect. Well I did, but I forgot to set the iPhone mode right for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Discovered Watch screen shot. My current configuration.

Calendar, sunrise/sunset and weather.

[​IMG]

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Been almost two weeks and am enjoying the watch and gotten many compliments too.

Used it digging dirt in the garden, planting shrubs, cutting lawn and at the beach. No scratches, holding up well. Held a 30 minute call on the watch, and blends well with the BT in the car. Like controlling iTunes, pandora from the watch in the car. Can pass incoming calls to any source.

The exercise feature is keeping me honest. It's seems to parley between the watch and the phone, using either to get a true measure of movement.

I like changing between faces and the chronograph.

Definitely using the phone less and the increased battery life is evident. Still waiting for my third party band.

Battery life is not a problem for a whole day.

#6 viewfly, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    charlyee and palandri like this.
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's been two months now with my Apple Watch. Still enjoying it and realized that if I'm in my wifi network at home ( or my gym's wifi) I don't need to have to phone on me to get mail or email notifications and iMessages. I think phone calls are on BT so that range is limited. That frees me up from always having my phone with me, even outside.

Been struggling getting third party bands. Seems I have large wrists (190-195 mm, the biggest band I can find are 205, for any watch) and the Nylon one was just too short. Looking around, there is a lot of junk out there but I found a nice, so far, link SS. It just fits after taking out two links. Only $46 and includes the adapters. Actually nearly perfect fit for me, more than the sports band.

It may be not for everyone, but it's doing well as an accessory for me. Come winter, and winter jackets, it will be even more convenient.

What ya think of the new band?

Still like the sports band it came with, but two is nice having.

It's been convenient not have for a number of features. The face display shows my next calendar appt, temperature, stopwatch and timer.

And most importantly- no bumps scratches or nicks. I guess I'm less klutzy than I thought. And it not likely to drop!

[​IMG]

#7 viewfly, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    charlyee likes this.
  8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Very nice band vf

Glad you are enjoying the watch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.