Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

My 3G iPhone performance in Japan

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Sep 30, 2008.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, I now know that the 2100Mhz frequency on my iPhone works! Japan has no GSM (2G), only 3G (GSM) and operating outside the normal quad band frequencies. This is one of the reasons I purchased the 3G.

I'm roaming on NTT DoMoCo mainly and some Softbank (formerly VodaPhone). Full bars everywhere (which means at least -99 and up to -79 for me so far). I'm in Tokyo and around the suburbs too. Reception is still very good, even inside buildings. I'm only had problems in elevators.

Mostly text SMS to the states, and a few phone calls. When I landed, I immediately got a text from ATT warning about Data roaming charges. The iPhone defaults to No data roaming. Voice quality is very good. Since I'm not using data at all, I'm amazed how long the battery is going ( 20 hours and still battery level is full).

I was puzzled why the 3G icon was not on. After all, I am using 3G for voice. So today, I turned on 3G data roaming and just checked my email. Viola, the 3G icon came on, and then off again when I turned data roaming off again. So I guess it means only data roaming.

I'm very pleased to have one phone that really is working everywhere for me. Fellow travelers are puzzled as to why their quad band GSM phones are not working... he he. No dropped call so far.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Don't forget you're no longer using AT&T's network. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL, true. But remember that just a few weeks ago, the 'reports' were that the iPhone was not working all over the world, so 'proof' that it was the phone,not the network??. In some minds that debate still goes on.

I was very curious to see for myself , and I have!

vf

4. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

I have to concur that the performance of the iPhone in Japan is very good. In addition i can say that the iPhone performed well in Costa Rica also. However, friends in Japan have told me that only SMS text messages can be sent to me and not the more common S! Mail format.

5. Schmusebaer1313

Schmusebaer1313 New Member

Hey, did u ever see a carrier tab under settings enabeling you to manually select a carrier while overseas??

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes. In Japan, I could manually select either one of the two carriers.

7. Schmusebaer1313

That's weird. I was in Toronto last Sunday using the rogers network. ( my iphone 3g is on 2.2 update ) and I did not see a carrier tab anywhere in the settings menu:-/....

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The carrier tab only shows up when you are outside the USA and there are other networks to roam on (or more than 1). I was using 2.1 at the time.

I don't know about Canada, but it certainly was there in Japan!

BTW, welcome to WA! :)

9. Schmusebaer1313

Thanks for the warm welcome:) toronto has rogers and fido. That's why I was confused unless network selection has been removed by crapple.

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm sure it is not Apple. The iPhone manual (on line, in your phone) stays current, and it is a feature listed under 'settings' in the manual.

It may have to do with ATT. Unlike Europe or Japan, for Canada, you do not need an international roaming feature turned on before you go (one time affair). So perhaps, by default, the iPhone doesn't display that option.

Have ATT activate international roaming, leave the continental US and I'm certain that it will show the carrier tab.

Take a look at the manual, found in the safari bookmarks on the phone.

Good Luck!

11. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

Thanks for the info! A colleague of mine was concerned about not seeing the said carrier tab in Canada though I am able to see one in Japan. :)

12. Schmusebaer1313

I didn't see it either in Canada .... I'm using the 2.2 update. I checked the manual and I see that option in there. I fly to Germany December 15th. I can let u know if I see it there. Oh Germany has umts 2100 as well. It runs parallel to the 2g/edge networks (gsm 900/1800).

13. Schmusebaer1313

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I'm using a locked, non-jailbroken, ATT issued iPhone 3G.

You should have no problems seeing the tab while in Germany.

15. Schmusebaer1313

Welp good guess, I do see the carrier tab while in Germany. I also now know as well that my iphone 3G runs on umts 2100 MHz because germany has the same spectrum as japan. So my 2100 MHz work just as well ;-) yaaaaay :-D