Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Multi-Carrier Retailer

Discussion in 'Working or Investing in the Wireless Industry' started by Alan703nva, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Alan703nva

Alan703nva New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N80
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    I've run a few restraunt operations with my family. Recently I've become intrested in opening a multi-carrier store. I've done research, and searched for information regarding starting one of these stores. I came here because all I've been able to find is franchise information.

I would really like to start a multi-carrier store as well as selling unlocked cell phones without having to go through a franchise. Would it be a better idea that I do?

If anyone can give me some advice or some information on how I can get started?

I requested some information with T-mobile online but they havent sent me anything yet.

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    A good place to start would be attending an event like the CTIA expo that just took place on the 1st of April... You are also going to want to do some research on equipment prices, accessories are profitable and not too expensive... Phones on the other hand, you subsidize and have to have enough capital to go 30-60 days before you get paid commission for them.

Then there is deciding on a commissions structure, POS vendor, carriers, carrier agreements. marketing budgets... and so on. I know F&B is a tough industry, however the wireless industry is not for the casual business owner either... it's lots of work.... of course, I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

In my experience T-mobile isn't that agressive with wanting new agents, but it could just be my part of the country as well.

You may also want to consider going exclusive with a carrier, the commission is better, and just because you have seven different companies to sell, it doesn't mean you will have seven times the sales... in fact it makes it harder to have the proper inventory on hand .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Alan703nva

Alan703nva New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N80
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Thanks That was really helpful. I havent thought too much about the inventory.

I guess I'll cut my list down a bit on carriers, but I'm still considering multi-carrier.

I'd like to do Sprint/Nextell and Helio. I havent seen a helio store unless it was a kiosk at the mall.
    I'm trying to oppen this buisness out in Ashburn VA. Anyone here have any experiance with Helio?

4. Alan703nva

Alan703nva New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N80
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Do you know anything about verizon or AT&T?

Thank you again, you guys are really helpful, sorry if I'm being a pest.

5. Alan703nva

Alan703nva New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N80
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Anyone?

No one?

bump.

6. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I'm not sure about VA, but in the Carolina's and TN, Verizon only does exclusive agents, and they are in bed pretty tight with Cellular Sales Inc... (Google Cellular Sales) and you will find them... ( There is also a real interesting article on Rip Off Reports about them...)

I believe Cellular Sales has stores in Virginia as well, so getting a VZW location authorized could be a little tougher.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...