Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

MSG Alerts -- Anyone having these problems? (VX6000)

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by boxermansr, Jul 13, 2003.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    I've already posted something similiar to this and really receieved no feedback, but now I'm noticing something more.

Here's what I'm doing.

I'm trying to setup the default TEXT message alert sound. I goto MENU, then 4. Then I go to 6 (MSG Settings, then 4 (MSG Alerts), then 2 (Text MSG Alert). I tell it to use "Custom Ring Tone"...

At this point, I choose what ringtone/sound I want to use, and click OK. It tells me that it's set.

I goto the phonebook, and scroll down to the 5th line down (Default Text Msg Ringer) and hit OK and it usually just goes "beep beep beep", or if I try other ringtones/sounds it does other various things...

1 time it just vibrated (I set it to Ring 1, Ring 2, Ring 3, Ring 4, etc)
    Another time I just tried one of the other "ringers" that are on the phone and in that instance
    I either got the "beep beep beep", or the phone would vibrate and "beep beep beep", or I would get nothing at all.

I'm wondering if anyone else can experiment with this, and let me know if they have the same problem, that way I at least know if it's my handset, so I can go exchange it.

Thanks.

2. rappo

rappo Junior Member

I'm having problems with my text message alerts. I have a custom ring set for it but no sound comes through at all.

3. Lenney97

Lenney97 Junior Member

i've experimented with this too and it seems that the custom sound doesn't work on msg alerts

4. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    I just tested it again to make sure.

I set my default text message alert to RING 6. I went to my phonebook/contacts and scrolled down (on several peoples names) to the "default text msg alert" section, and hit OK. When set as RING 6, the phone simply goes "beep beep beep".

I then set it to use RING 2, at this point, doing the same thing, the notification on given users entry caused the phone to just vibrate.

When setting to RING 3, the phone went "beep beep beep" and then vibrated.

I did not bother testing RING 1, 4 or 5, as I'm sure they'd have similar results -- in fact, I just did test RING 1, and when I scrolled in the phonebook and checked, it played NOTHING.

Something is really wrong. It is not playing the correct sound as it should.
    Using any of the other "ringers/sounds" as a NOTIFICATION is insane, as they are all intened
    to be used as ringtones (and are lenghty). I dont really need a 30 second long alert to tell me I have a text message.

UPDATE:

I tested RING 4 and the phone did nothing again, I tested RING 5, and all it did was beep ONCE. It's like setting "Custom Ring Tone" for text message alerts do not work correctly.

Does anyone have ANY idea? Does your phone do this? I don't think this was the way it was intended to be designed.

5. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS

Custom ones do work.. if you use one of the ones intended to be a RINGER. RINGS 1 through 6 were designed to be used more as alerts, as they are short and basically are just kind of there to alert you.. Having one of the "songs" as your text message alert is rather stupid.. I don't need a 30 second long (or longer actually, when I tested it and let it run its course, the song played in its entirity, until I opened the phone) to alert me that i have a text message. I tried to call LG, but aparently they are having "Technical Difficulties" as their message told me, then disconnected on me..

6. Lenney97

Lenney97 Junior Member

i just tested my phone.. i can change the ring tones for a phone number.. probably a software problem with your phone.

7. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS

I'm not talking about the ringtone for a number... I'm talking about the sound that plays when a TEXT message is received...

If you go to your MESSAGES menu and select option SIX for message settings, then option FOUR for MESSAGE ALERTS. Scroll down to OPTION two and select "Custom Ring Tone" from the menu. Then Select Ring 1, Ring 2, Ring 3, Ring 4, Ring 5, or Ring 6.

Click ok. Go to your phonebook, goto a user, scroll down to "default text message alert" and hit ok. It SHOULD play RING 1 (or whatever RING # you assigned it to) but its not..

RING 1 -- Results in a SILENT alert -- no sound

RING 2 -- Results in a VIBRATE alert -- no sound

RING 3 -- Results in "beep beep beep" then VIBRATE

RING 4 -- Results in a SILENT alert -- no sound

RING 5 -- Results in one "beep"

RING 6 -- Results in "beep beep beep"

Bottom line, these tones were designed to be used as alerts (at least given the fact that they are "shorter" by far than the other "ringers/sounds" available" -- as I said before, who wants an alert to be 30+ seconds long....

These alerts all work fine on my VX4400, but not on the VX6000.

Hopefully someone can use all of this information and test it, and we can figure out if it's a handset issue, software issue, or whatever..

Thanks!

8. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

If you guys just leave the default text sound and set the 2 minute reminder, will it work correctly then?

9. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Two weeks after I emailed LG about this, I finally got a reply. I guess it's a big enough issue for them, as I noted in the message properties that it was forwarded to several folks within LG, as well as several at Verizon...

I have received your message and in reviewing the functions of the handset it appears that you are correct, the handset does not react in the expected fashion. I will be communicating this item with our software engineering group for review. Please be patient, I expect that this item can be solved but it does require for us to have our carrier customer (Verizon) test and approve of this software before it can be made available to the public.

If you have any further issues or questions please continue to contact our help desk and if desired you may contact me directly as well. We do appreciate your input and value you as a customer. Thank you.

10. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    interesting my msg alerts are dead ringers they work great my text mesage is a guy yelling "READ THE MAIL ! READ THE MAIL ! "

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...