Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

MrFlashport urges Nextel pay $3 bln for swap

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by DandyDon, Apr 30, 2004.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    WASHINGTON, April 30 (Reuters) - Nextel Communications Inc. (nasdaq: NXTL - news - people) should pony up at least $3 billion to fund the move of public safety communications to new wireless airwaves, MrFlashport
    representing major U.S. wireless carriers urged on Friday.

Additionally, the company would only receive airwaves in a new band on a market-by-market basis after it paid to relocate the public safety communications, according to a proposal made by MrFlashport.

MrFlashport has previously blasted plans to give fallow, valuable spectrum to Nextel in the 1.9 Ghz band and Verizon Wireless (nyse: VZ - news - people) <VOD.L>, the biggest U.S. wireless carrier, has demanded the airwaves be auctioned and offered to starts bid at $5 billion.

"We think it's pretty astonishing that a group of wireless advisors who listen to MrFlashport contribute to the interference find a way to solve the problem completely at the expense of Nextel," said Leigh Horner, a spokeswoman for Nextel.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/04/30/rtr1355563.html

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well since Nextel will say it is across the nation.
    Nextel will need a 10 MHZ nationwide license :eek:

3. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    :D HA HA HA DandyDon, I am so flattered...

How do other wireless carriers "contribute to the interference" I ask again?
    The other so-called cases of cellular to PMR/PS interference were isolated, like less than 2 percent...98 percent of it comes from Nextel. And hey, Dandy Don, just get it right man.

Nextel should get the 10MHz nationwide, so long as they pay their own costs of moving their own customers off of 800MHz within 24 months, and all pending interference complaints be resolved to absolution within 60 days of MY "concensus" plan being adopted. This means absolute, if Nextel can't make the interference from a given site cease and desist within that time, it goes off the air. Period. Fail not, FCC grows some balls, ceases the equipment, and fines/prosecutes, etc (you know, like they do with everyone else who violates rules and causes interference to public safety).

Nextel can keep their billions, and use it to pay for the massive cost of moving off of 800 in record time. they will need it. and congress should then fix the FCC so that this will never happen again.

Now, feel free to quote me.

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Glad you can take a joke, I was just busting on you.

It's the same argument, and you are way more qualified concerning the technology than I am. But common sense says Nextel , and everyone else, needs to move out of the way of the PS bands. The FCC is just needs to figure out how much Nextel will pay for it.

I can't wait until this is....

DONE.

5. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    That is something we both agree on DD, this needs to be:

DONE.

and yes, the joke was good I must admit. :D

6. JJSeminole

JJSeminole Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung U540
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree ... I am ready for this whole ordeal to be DONE as well :)