Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Moving to Boston, need opinions on phones and providers

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

First of all, I love this place. I used to be heavily interested in cellphones. Over the busy years I've lost a lot of interest, but this place has sparked my interests once again.

On to the business on hand, I will be moving to Boston in late August and will be looking for a provider/phone out there. I currently use a Nokia 8260. I've used many phones before, but I consistently am a big fan of Nokia. Over the past few years I've tried all 3 major service providers in the Phoenix, AZ market: Sprint, Voicestream and ATTWS. Through my experiences ATT has been the most consistent out here, so if possible I would like to stick with ATT. My dilema is, we're spoiled with ATT GSM/GPRS service out here so we can mMode and I love the Nokia 8390. I would like to stick to something with the same/similiar form factor of the 8260. I hate that bulge in the 3360 and the length of the 6360. I would like a new phone and strongly prefer a built-in IR port.

I would consider switching to VS, but my only setback is out of the 50 states I would travel most frequently to Boston, Arizona and California (which won't have VS for some time, exactly when?who knows). The most appealing phone at the moment is the Ericsson T68 with T-mobile service.

I'm thinking about stepping back and getting the Nokia 8890. Is it available in that market? How much? What you guys think of it and the Nokia 8265.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeble advice.

BTW, how do you sign up for the forums. I can't find a signup page anywhere.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

3. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Yeah, Voicestream has coverage in all of those places.

4. aiwapro

I noticed that you talked about mMode (GSM/GPRS), and you talked about the 8390.
    Voicestream is 100% GSM/GPRS already. AT&T it in the stages of upgrading to GSM/GPRS, and many people will tell you that they aren't doing a good job at it, just read the threads about 'att in Cleveland,' and many other posts about ATT. Here in my city, AT&T just recently started offering GSM, and they have missed half of the city. I know this because I can go to 'available' networks on my phone and it will show me all of the available GSM networks, it only shows ATT in some places.
    Also, you mentioned the Nokia 8390. I have that phone and I have Voicestream. I bought it from my distributor for a price of $250 including all accessories. The phone is wonderful. It is very tiny aswell. It's smaller than the 8290. It is filled with features. If you want this phone with Voicestream service, just let me know. I can get it for you for around $240. The phone is Brand New Unlocked, sealed in box with rapid home charger, car charger, hands-free headset, and manuals.

Contact me if you are interested here: aiwapro@msn.com

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Chris, although AT&T is got a GSM system going in your town, I don't see them selling any GSM phones in their website. Are they actually selling GSM service in Toledo?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. aiwapro

Yes, they have started selling GSM. They have the 8390 in the AT&T store now, because I asked them when I called and to see if they had a holster for it. I needed one for mine, but I ordered one off of eBay already now.