Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola V3M vs Nokia 6315i vs LG VX8600

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by C44335, Dec 8, 2006.

1. C44335

C44335 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm trying to decide which phone to get, My moto E815 has been dropped 1 too many times. (This is a trend of mine)

I played with a coworkers' V3M, but did't like the way Verizon crippled it.

Can you customize the Right/Left soft keys & 4-way nav keys on either the LG or Nokia ?

2. T5

T5 New Member

My Phone:
    LG - VX 8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi,
    Kinda long winded here, but this is my initial take on the VX 8600... maybe the review can answer some questions, hence the long-windedness. :) And yes, you can customize the right, left, up, and down arrow keys. Unfortunately you have to choose from a predefined set of customizations that LG's or Verizon's UI offers, you cannot 'make your own' :( But, you can changes them yes.

I got my 8600 not quite 24 hours ago... and initially had serious thoughts of returning it. I've since calmed down a little and will do some playing to consider if it's going to be returned or not. Here's why...​
    First I'm coming from an OLD vx 4400, so it apparently has a totally different interface and features than the new LG's have had for a while now, and I got spoiled. For starters you cannot make the contacts "soft-key" list sort by GROUP, only alphabetically, which is complete crap, the older LG phones were able to do that, so this is a serioius loss of convenience that was implemented by LG... some Marketing person or Engineer at LG should be fired for thinking that was a good thing to cut. :( Being able to sort by group saves at least 2 button clicks... see, I said I had gotten spoiled with the old phones :). ​
    Next, using the phones UI you just plainly CANNOT add more than 10 contacts to any one group, again this is complete crap, my old 4400 could add as many to a group as the phone could store. Apparently LG doesn't seem to think that people have more than 10 "Friends", "Family", "Colleagues", or any other group of people... hmmmm... not to sure about those guys.​
    The saving grace to this is that you CAN, fortunately, force more than 10 contacts per group, but in order to do so you need to use software such as BitPim. So that means the phone can do it, however LG's decided to not let the phone do it on its own. :( I even called LG up and asked, they said you can't. I asked if it was a limitation of their UI or whether it was something Verizon had done, they said it was their stuff and not Verizon. Not too bright LG. :(
    Ok, so thirdly, you cannot switch the phone out of ICON mode and into the old style LIST mode when you hit the "OK" or "Menu" button... I think this is Verizon's doing though, so this may not be the 8600's fault; I'd need to play with the other phones some more; but for now I'll give the poor little 8600 the benefit of the doubt. :)
    Anyway, these "convenience" downgrades that LG made just sent me over the edge and after 4 hours I was ready to return it; sleep and playing with it more have gotten me to re-think that and give it a chance. I do love the look of the phone itself, and I don't really have any complaints about things like the Speaker Phone, other than the fact that it would be very nice if they would start making more phones that you could use in speaker-phone mode while closed... what's the deal with having to have the phone open??? :(
    So, for now I'm content with it and will be playing with it more over the next couple weeks to determine if it's a keeper or not for me. Oh, one other thing that I don't like is that it is a side charging unit, and does not have a craddle, to me that just says LG wanted to get cheap and go with the easiest way possible... for the elegance and cost of this phone, LG should have given it a craddle, it would look a lot nicer that way. Oh, and the 'rubbery feel' of the keyboard on the Razr is kinda nice, the 8600 is for the most part totally smooth. It has some minute bumps, and what almost looks like frets between the rows, but they are flush with the keys, so they are hard to feel if you were trying to use them blind.