Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola unveils windup charger for cell phones

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mantra, Jan 16, 2002.

1. mantra

mantra New Member

The scenario is frustratingly familiar to cell phone users: Warning beeps, “My battery’s going,” silence. Who hasn’t gotten disconnected? But hold the phone a minute — a new retro innovation by Motorola Inc. may put an end to those sudden-death calls.

Full Story @ msnbc.com

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I saw that thing on the local news and the first thing that came to mind was what a waste of money. They are going to retail it for $69 and I thought you could buy a car cord or additional battery for less than that. Plus it's not exactly the smallest thing to carry around. In specific scenarios I can see the value but I won't be waiting in line for it. Wait a second, what line?

Tom

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Sheesh Tom, you're such a spoil sport. [​IMG]

Okay try this on for size:

You're on a train, you forgot to charge your battery the night before. Your spare battery works for about 20 minutes. Now what do you do?

You're sippin' Martinis on the beach with some beautiful movie star. You get that great break you've been waiting for--Your agent has the blockbuster movie of the century and you get the leading role. All of a sudden your phone starts beeping--the battery is near dead as your agent says: Call John at 55 (phone goes dead!).

You're backbacking on the Oregon Trail when a snake bites you. You need to call for help. You do, but you are told to stay on the line so officials can tri-angulate on your location. Minutes pass. If you switch batteries, you'll lose the call. Oh no, what to do!? (Okay, so we're talking 3G here, but what the heck.)

You're a passenger in a car and the car owner already has his phone plugged into the charger. You are in the middle of a business call and its with the CEO of the biggest account you'll ever expect to land. Battery is low--you'd better NOT tell him you need to call him back because you need to switch batteries. So you whip out your crack charger and, whow, the day is saved.

You're on the golf course when your wife calls and says she is pregnant again (with triplets!). But high blood pressure has put her in the hospital. You can't call her, she don't know the number of the hospital or the room she's in. She needs you now! She's at 555-(oh no, your battery is beeping "low" again!!!)

Okay, okay, so there's a lot of satirical, exaggerated humor here, but the point is that changing batteries is not always the best solution.

Whow!! Look at that line forming. Hey, don't cut in front of me!

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

In your extreme examples you are making one basic assumption, the user forgets to charge his/her battery but REMEMBERS to bring his/her windup charger. Not to mention where is the user going to keep this item....in their bathing suit? [​IMG]

Are you going to buy one???

And I did say I could see in specific scenarios where it could be useful and you sure outlined some specific examples.

Tom

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Tom,

From what I've read so far, the device will only be available (initially) to Motorola phones, so it would be useless to me (a Panasonic owner).

Taking a more serious approach, I think the point I was trying to make is that it is possible to leave the home with a fully charged battery, find yourself in the middle of a conversation that becomes prolonged to the point of draining the battery, and not having access to charging the battery through conventional methods. This device is far from the perfect answer, but it is at least an alternative to a dead battery.

You and I have spoken before that neither of us currently need to use our cellphones that extensively, but I work with people that travel all the time and find this to be an issue for them. When that non-rechargeable, 5-year battery manufacturer releases their product, it will be a welcome relief for many road warriors.

Take care,
    Kevin