Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola StarTac 7797 for AT&T

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by als1970, Mar 15, 2004.

1. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Motorola StarTac 7797 for AT&T

I Just purchased, but haven't received yet, a Motorola StarTac 7797 for AT&T and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is a good phone. I've heard that everyone loves their StarTac, but the only ones I've heard about are for Verizon, which are CDMA. I just need good reception and battery life. No bells and whistles. Thanks in advance.

2. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    Should give you decent reception but many 7797 had battery drain problems way back when....I had 4 startacs (7797) with this problem...Who knows maybe you will get one thats dependable....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Thanks. I hope so. I'm planning on getting an extended battery. Maybe that will help [​IMG]

4. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    I tried the extended and the piggy back extra extended on top of that, so yep goodluck...But hey my father had one that never had that issue so who knows....Oh i might check out the Supert tac for verizon soon that might be the ticket if you like to keep it simple....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    I got my StarTac today. I am charging it right now. I will let you know how the battery is. Hopefully it is ok.

6. jonraeth

jonraeth New Member

Best Phone Motorola ever made and I had no problem on TDMA service. Wish I still had mine. It broke and the insurance company sent a V60i instead. Longer battery life but thicker, and antenna keeps breaking. StarTac rules. I had three and loved everyone. The 7897 was the last one I had and the newer the phone the better the batterylife. Also helps to turn off the light on the phone.

7. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    So far the phone seems to be doing great. I charged it up and activated it and I usually get Extended Area the most in my house, but it's been staying mostly on AT&T. I've never had a phone like that before. So far I am very pleased. The battery seems to be fine, but turning off the light would make it last longer. Thanks.

8. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Awesome, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves old-school digital Motorolas. I'm happy the new StarTAC works well for you. I love my Timeport. I can't wait until the SuperTAC (StarTAC2004) comes out!

9. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Thanks. I wish the SuperTac would come out for AT&T. They just don't make phones like they use to. [​IMG]

10. als1970

als1970 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola MPX220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Hey rancid, I just read your review of the V2397 on Cnet.com. I also have this phone. I don't use it anymore, but it was a pretty good phone. I do wish that it had the vibrate alert on it and the battery life wasn't that great on it. I like the fact that the StarTac has the same interface so I didn't have any problems using it. The battery life seems to be better on the StarTac and I like the flip better.

11. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes and the StarTAC and v2300 series have the same user interface as my Timeports P8090 so it works out well for me. I haven't had any issues with the v2397's battery life but I don't use my phone that much so it usually lasts about 3-4 days in stand by mode. I think it's a pretty good basic phone that works well in fringe areas, which is more than you can say for some of the other more basic phones (Kyocera 1135, Kyocera Phantom and Nokia 5185i.) With those phones fringe areas=dead areas.