Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola Flip Fone style?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi. I have large hands and very much miss the older Motorola flip style phones. Does anyone make a flip style phone that will work with my Verizon Wireless service? I currently have a startac and it's ok not great. My favorite phone was the Motorola MicroTac Elite. Audio quality was wonderful (yes I understand it was analog) Is there a digtial version of this? Can I get an "extra" phone on my current account (ie: 2 phones share the same phone #). Or, can I add an Analog MicroTac to my existing account--the MicroTac is analog while my Startac is digital?

thanks so much for any info
    (i am in new york city)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The quick answer to your question is "NO!". You can have 2 numbers on one phone, but not two phones on one number. And I don't think Verizon would activate an analog phone on a 'digital' plan -- if they would activate it at all!

I too had an Elite. Big and heavy as a brick. But I agree, it worked and worked and worked. Battery life left a bit to be desired, I thought....

But Motorola makes several successor phones to the StarTac. Everyone I know seems to have upgraded to the V60. I still carry my StarTac (may not be spiffy, but it works everywhere I've ever tried to use it and does everything I want it to!) so I'll probably keep it until it no longer works at all....

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I didn't feel very comfortable dialing and holding a Startac with one hand. I felt it was going to fall out of my hands when dialing because I couldn't get a good grip on it while dialing with one hand. I don't have very big hands so I assume it's harder for those with bigger hands. Another thing, although it's a pretty phone, it's speaker sounds excellent and feels good in your ear, the microphone on it was terrible and people in the other end often asked me to repeat what I was saying. Battery life wasn't that good either. They fixed that microphone problem with the flip style talkabouts and timeports and the battery life was improved a bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

isn't the new v60 even smaller than the startac? I'm happy with my startac right now, but inevitably it will fail some day and I will need a new phone... and I refuse to have a phone where I need to lock my keypad to prevent accidental dialing... it's really annoying (to me at least) how few flip-style phones are being made now... I remember when one-way pagers were (physically) bigger than some cell phones are now... is it so that we can lose them more easily, or so we can't get a decent grip (perhaps so we drop them more frequently)? I'd love to see a move back to larger (even heavier) phones... I have an auxiliary battery on my startac, and it's still smallish to me, despite looking like it is about to give birth to one of the aforementioned newer microscopic models... [​IMG]

in short, if anyone from motorola (or even ericsson or nokia, yuck) is reading this forum, MAKE SOME BIGGER PHONES! just use the extra space saved by modern electronics to stuff in more battery, much like the military stuffs in extra fuel everywhere they can squeeze it in fighter jets...

5. Bleekerstreets

Bleekerstreets Junior Member

the startac was my favorite phone, but the one i had was only a dual mode...instead of getting the tri mode startac, i got the v60c, and i am pretty happy. if you shop around you can prolly get a good price on it because it is being replaced in a few weeks by the v60i...its pretty much the same as the v60c.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Most people are happy with smaller phones nowadays. The market trend is to go smaller everyday. Therefore, making bigger phones would be a step back for manufacturers and people would simply not buy them. They will obviously lose money. Unless the minority of people who like bigger phones are planning on paying millions to keep phone manufacturers in business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    True--smaller phones are in. but you can still find some mid sized phones.

Verizon Samsung N150 and T300 are 2 phones to check out

Jack